Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
R134a has served it's purpose but it is still not green enough, so now you get R1234yf, which is flammable, so y'all get out of the car quick if it starts to pour in thru the ducts because you could get your arses all blowed up.
From the same EPA that blasted out Oz for selling a butane/propane blend to emulate R-12. Claiming R-134a is causing global warming now, so now they are approving HC's. Sure a bunch of hypocrites.

In regards to CFC's (R-12), less than 2% of the total production was used in automotive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I run 89 in my '13 1.4/6MT 85% of the time - only putting premium in it when I know it's going to get a long, hard run or when I have a little extra money. I randomly switch back and forth between Marathon's E- and E-free 89 and notice very little difference, but about 2 months ago I got $10 of Marathon 87 (small station) and reaffirmed why I don't even put regular in my small engines. I'd lay into it to pass someone, and just as the car started to pull and I'd take the other lane power would all but go away and I'd find myself needing to downshift yet another gear just to make it back into the lane in time. I've bought 89 at both very busy and pretty remote stations and never had an experience like that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I switched and although it hasn't been an apples to apples comparison, I found no difference between 87-93. I switched to 87 when the weather started cooling off and even though I drive a lot of freeway miles and there have been major traffic back-ups over the last couple of weeks. Anyway 42.8mpg(93oct) to 42.1(87oct) was the best comparison on I got. My last fill-up my average went down to 38.1mpg because of the stop to go traffic on the freeway.

·
10,712 Posts
If you guys are looking for a difference in 2014 and up, the maps are different than when this thread started. The new maps make 87 more friendlier where my 13 will stall in the winter on 87 and bog no matter how hard I try and launch off the line in the summer. Tuned I haven't had issues but I also have a 16 MPG city 93 octane tuned project car that originally was my DD so this isn't a financial hit for 93 every tank in the eco.

OP is tuned since then...

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best thread ive read on here. Ive ran 87 in my cruze for a year, the beginning of '17 i started to use premium and ive noticed a huge difference in smoothness power and even went from getting 330- 340 to 417+ a tank so i think premium is better for the car. The people saying other wise are either really seeing no improvements because of driving habits or because of what other people are saying. Also i did notice these improvemnt in cool and cold weather. Never been the type to just listen to what anyone says i like to see for myself and this myfriends is worth the extra to or 12 bucks. Ohh last thing if i filled up on regular it wouldve been 28 and some change on premium a full tank for me in louisiana is 34 and some change 35 if i force it.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,408 Posts
I run 89 in my '13 1.4/6MT 85% of the time - only putting premium in it when I know it's going to get a long, hard run or when I have a little extra money. I randomly switch back and forth between Marathon's E- and E-free 89 and notice very little difference, but about 2 months ago I got $10 of Marathon 87 (small station) and reaffirmed why I don't even put regular in my small engines. I'd lay into it to pass someone, and just as the car started to pull and I'd take the other lane power would all but go away and I'd find myself needing to downshift yet another gear just to make it back into the lane in time. I've bought 89 at both very busy and pretty remote stations and never had an experience like that.
I'm not sure about down in your parts, but by me Marathon gas is crappy. It is the cheapest though. My gas mileage dropped like a rock over 5 or6 tanks, same route.

·
10,712 Posts
I'm not sure about down in your parts, but by me Marathon gas is crappy. It is the cheapest though. My gas mileage dropped like a rock over 5 or6 tanks, same route.
Yes to rehash what I said for about 3 or more years here. Octane alone won't help, you need a decent fresh supply of it.

If you are in an area of 87 only gas stations the Shell 93 Nitro and BP 93 Ultimate is most likely crap from demand being low. The 93 in those areas is priced too high due to them lowering the 87 prices to try and match the 87 only chains. Pretty much making anyone who does run 93 not buy it because it's almost $0.90 more per gallon than 87. My favorite place to get gas locally is blocks away from BMW Cleveland and Land Rover Solon. The 93 button is so overused it's wear patterns is equal to 87 in regular areas.

In short, even Top Tier stations can have crap gas depending on location and extremely low demand for 93. Winter blend also horrible for MPG.

121 - 127 of 127 Posts