Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright everyone. Here's a short history of my two Cruzes leading into today.

First one: 2012 Cruze RS Red
Loved the car, but after about 80k miles it needed a catalytic converter (they could find no other issues).
Soon after (I drive almost 40k a year) the car crossed 100,000 and was out of warranty.
I took it in for standard maintenance and was told that I had a transmission leak as well as a major oil cooler leak.
Quoted cost: $2000.00 Upon some thought, the car was worth exactly that much less than what I owed on it so I decided to trade it in.

Car of trade was Cruze #2.

2015 1Lt Tungsten
Picked it up in early February of 2018 with 21k miles.
Fast forward to now, the car has been in and out of the shop with all sorts of issues since day one.
It had a minor collission before I bought it and it wasn't repaired correctly. The dealership had to paint it 5x under the gas door before it quit bubbling.
On top of that, about a month ago I noticed I had a coolant issue. The water pump went out.
Luckily this was under warranty even though I am at almost 73000 miles now.
The car still didn't seem right once I got it back all leading up to the fun day of a lifetime.

This past Monday I was driving my standard 35 mile commute to work my temp gauge went from the standard right below half way to all the way up in about 2.5 seconds and the dinging started.
As it was rush hour I coasted to the closest exit (1/4 mile) and pulled off to the side. Opened the hood and it looked like a movie the amount of steam pouring off the car.
After about a half hour of listening to the coolant boil it finally stopped so I slowly removed the cap on the coolant tank and proceeded to add a gallon (yes an entire gallon).
I figured I would get to work and call our local dealership (of whom one uncle is the parts manager and the other is the sales manager) to get it in to be looked at.
I sat down in the car and turned the key. The starter engaged and nothing happened, the engine didn't even turn over.

Fast forward an hour and the tow truck driver is dropping me off at the dealership.
Yesterday I found out that it had coolant in all 4 cylinders and one was apparently full.
Today I finally get the call: the cylinder head was warped and a new one has been ordered.
Shockingly (and honestly somewhat disappointingly) nothing else was broken which could have led to a new motor being required.

Any thoughts from the community?
Pics of the car will be posted on my profile very soon as even with all of the issues, I have LOVED both of my Cruzes.

Luke

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Get rid of that second Cruze before the warranty runs out. Seriously, I suspect that minor collission was more major than you realize.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly I am incredibly indebted on this car. I won't be able to pay it down enough for at least a year to make it worthwhile.
All I have to do is get it to last through winter of 2020 when I graduate. I will be trying to go from enlisted to officer in the AF and will get a new car then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! It's update time.
My Cruze is now at 83k miles.
The same thing happened again about a month and a half back with my engine.
Overheated on the interstate. Towed to the dealership.
Once there, the new service manager was very apologetic. They looked into it and the entire block was warped.
They contacted GM and after 28 days I got my car back. In the meantime they gave me a 2019 Impala with the 3.6l engine. It had heated leather seats, a heated steering wheel and a panoramic sunroof! I was so sad to have to turn it back in.
Upon picking up my car again two weeks ago, within one week it started acting funny again. The dealership added a half-gallon of coolant and said that it appears to have "burped" the coolant because of an air bubble.
After about more days (this past Thursday), I lost heat again while driving to work but the car didn't overheat. I checked the coolant overflow tank at lunch to find it very low. I headed to the store and it took right at another half-gallon of coolant.
Angry at this point, I drove to the dealership. They looked at it and found that my new overflow tank had a crack on the larger of the two hose connection points. After a lengthy discussion with the service manager and my uncles (one is the parts manager and the other the sales manager), we went behind the desk of the service manager and looked at my car's history and saw that over the year and 10 months I have had the car, it has had 3 overflow tanks (all warranty replacements), and all 3 had leaked causing the plethora of issues I have had.
He looked at me and said they can get me another tank if I want, but that at this point he just recommends going to Advance Auto across the street and getting the Dorman coolant reservoir with reinforced parts. He (with my family members present) also said that should that go bad and other issues arise, they will still honor any and all warranties that it may "void."
I got the tank and installed it on Thursday evening and so far, everything is peachy. We will see what the future holds for my Cruze and I...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
He looked at me and said they can get me another tank if I want, but that at this point he just recommends going to Advance Auto across the street and getting the Dorman coolant reservoir with reinforced parts.
Interesting. My replacement tank for my 1.8 came from the dealer with the reinforced nipples. I think the gen1 1.4T uses the same tank.

I can't help thinking your dealer has a bunch of old stock.

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my uncle (parts manager) is the one who ordered the parts for me each time.
I talked to him about the problems and he suggested I buy the other brand somewhere else because even though I get a lot of things at cost, he can't get aftermarket in any cheaper than me.
It's an interesting situation indeed but hopefully is now remedied!
Time will tell... Now to make it through the new engine break-in period with no issues.

·
Registered
664 Posts
The issue with the overheating is that you will never know when that happens since the gauge is useless.. I did a lot of tests related with this issue and I ended up by changing the thermostat with one that opens at lower temperatures. If you are interested, take a look to this:

·
Registered
79 Posts
The issue with the overheating is that you will never know when that happens since the gauge is useless.. I did a lot of tests related with this issue and I ended up by changing the thermostat with one that opens at lower temperatures. If you are interested, take a look to this:
No! That is way to cold for a turbo car! I read through that post. I wouldn't change to that one personally, looking for a hotter one, but not any cooler.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So my uncle (parts manager) is the one who ordered the parts for me each time.
I talked to him about the problems and he suggested I buy the other brand somewhere else because even though I get a lot of things at cost, he can't get aftermarket in any cheaper than me.
It's an interesting situation indeed but hopefully is now remedied!
Time will tell... Now to make it through the new engine break-in period with no issues.
One thing I have a really hard time understanding is why would anyone slap a new head on an aluminum block, as suspected you ended up with basically a new motor. Your lucky with family in the dealership. Most of us have to pound sand and beg for mercy with the dealer.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
How did that thread put in too cold of a thermostat when it says right there he installed the exact same temp you want to put in.

If it were me though. I'd look for a 190.

176 just isn't hot enough for a decent heater in the winter time. Specially with these smaller motors cooling down really easy when it gets cold enough.

My Hyundai had a 180 stock and that thing sucked for heat. Cruze at 190 works so much better.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How did that thread put in too cold of a thermostat when it says right there he installed the exact same temp you want to put in.

176 just isn't hot enough for a decent heater in the winter time. Specially with these smaller motors cooling down really easy when it gets cold enough.

My Hyundai had a 180 stock and that thing sucked for heat. Cruze at 190 works so much better.
Hitting send before proof reading. I've not had a single problem with the heat yet. Last winter it started and drove in -50 degree temps and had plenty of heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thays
One thing I have a really hard time understanding is why would anyone slap a new head on an aluminum block, as suspected you ended up with basically a new motor. Your lucky with family in the dealership. Most of us have to pound sand and beg for mercy with the dealer.
That's the fix GM recommended based on the warranty.
The dealership sent the info on what "broke" and GM said to replace the head itself. I know it was crazy. I'm glad the engine crapped out honestly lol!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
My Hyundai wasn't bad either. .

As long as my commutes were longer then 30 minutes.
And it's rare for us to see 0*.

My work commutes are only 15 minutes. I'll take my cruze 190 over my hyundai 180 anyday.

·
Registered
664 Posts

Ideally yes, 190F, even 195F would be the best option. But even I spent a lot of time to find one that I can adapt, there was zero option available. Going back to the swap I've done, I live in area with cold, very cold winters sometimes and neither me or my other cars I've worked on had any issues. People are wrong also about the temperature, if you want to look below, this is the thermostat that GM changed back for 1.4 turbo since 2017. As you can see it opens at 180F that is close with what I use. This version is not compatible for Gen1 and couldn't use it, but just to get an idea. I don't want to argue about the temperature but I know what I'm talking about. So I just offered a solution that I personally tested on many Cruze cars already and it works, for people who want to try it.. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts