Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
481 - 496 of 496 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,152 Posts
Pink noise
Description
Pink noise or ¹⁄f noise is a signal or process with a frequency spectrum such that the power spectral density is inversely proportional to the frequency of the signal. Pink noise is one of the most common signals in biological systems. In pink noise, each octave carries an equal amount of noise energy. Wikipedia

What is the difference between white noise and pink noise?
What's the difference between white and pink? They both cover all the frequencies that the human ear can hear, but the intensity of pink noise decreases as frequency increases. So whereas white noise can sound like static or a hiss, pink noise is smoother and more soothing across all frequencies.Mar 8, 2017
Pink-Noise-vs-White-Noise — SilverSneakers

https://www.silversneakers.com › blog › sound-boosts-sleep-memory

Velleman K4301: Pink Noise Generator Kit

I could not find a cheap spectrum analyzer. I bought my pink noise generator/spectrum analyzer in the late 80's from DAK industries for about $150 to help me set up my home stereo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How does this help for our Cruzes? That looks a lot like my Yamaha graphic equalizer in my home system. Without the spectrum analyzer portion of course. Too many questions, so little time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Looks like Madisound Speaker Store may have the Silver Flutes in stock. That's where I purchased mine. But the tweets are out of stock according to Madisound website as of today. Looks like parts xpress has the tweets in stock. Not sure how the tune file would work as your Cruze is a 2016 ( different body style ) i would think it would require some tweekng to the tune.
Rich

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mission Success!
I ran new wire to all door locations and pillars and installed the Flutes/Vifas.
I loaded the file into the dsp and installed it into the system.
Everything sounds great but I can't help but wonder if I could really sweeten it up.
I don't really know how to go about setting my output on the LC2i Main output.
I did the Digital multimeter trick for the bass output and was able to hit the 4v mark.
However my 4ch amp wasn't able to get to the 4v mark before maxing out so i'm not sure
how to set it. It's currently at 12 o'clock.

Other than a little bit of noise in the system it's very nice. I think if I turn my gains on the
4ch amp down the noise disappears but I also want the gains to match the source which is something I'm struggling with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone ever have noise in their cruze after installing this setup? I'm noticing a few things when it comes to this equipment.

1. The minidsp has a max input of 2V and max output of .9V. The 4ch amp I've selected runs from .2V-4V. Aren't you wanting to shoot for the highest voltage you can get for your amp? Seems like at .9V i'm leaving a lot of juice out of the equation for my midbass speakers. The LC2i is my LOC i've chosen and it's strange but on the Main output setting I have to crank the thing nearly to the max setting to hit 2V and if I wasn't using a DSP I would aim for 4V but that would be impossible to reach. They definitely don't boom like I was assuming they would. When I take my sub out of the equation the music seems so flat it's almost like there's no midbass at all. On the DSP software I noticed the gain was set to -5.6db and -9db on the door speakers so I adjusted that to 0 so they actually would make noise. They don't distort at all and the sound is much more present but they aren't even as loud as the stock speakers were.

2. I'm getting very quiet static in accessory mode. When I turn the car on however I get the whine. It increases with the RPMs as well. I've ran 4 gauge wire from the battery to a fuse distribution block and ran 4 gauge ground wire from the distro block to the chassis of the car. Every component in my system is ran off of the distro block as well. I even grounded the factory radio to the block. The noise has not been affected. I ran high level speaker wire down the passenger side of my car to the LC2i in the trunk. Then ran 3' RCA cables directly to my equipment and it crosses zero power wire.

3. I'm noticing at higher volumes my tweeters start to get fuzzy/muddy. I have the tune loaded to the dsp and have added no additional gain on the amp that goes to my tweeters. 32 is the number on my cruze headunit where it doesn't distort. However on certain songs I'm noticing around number 28 or so the tweeters get nasty and don't produce clear sound anymore. I'm not sure if it's a crossover issue or what. Especially since I mentioned earlier the dsp is only sending out .9 volts and I've added no gain to the tweeters. They shouldn't be distorting right? Everything seems to be on the very low side.

I've ordered some noise filters from amazon to hopefully rid myself of the noise in this system as I've taken apart my trunk more times than I'd wish to. I never did the Big 3 upgrade but I can't see how that would help me. Most people claim it's for when you add a lot of power to your car. I've added a single 10" subwoofer running at 300rms and then the silver flutes/vifa setup with a 45x4 amp.

To sum it up my system has a whine sound, my midbass seems pretty lacking, and my tweeters are fuzzy at high volumes. It'd be great to get some input from fellow cruze owners. I had a lot of faith in this setup reading through this thread at least 20 times now but atm the outcome did not live up to the hype.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,152 Posts
I never did the Big 3 upgrade but I can't see how that would help me. Most people claim it's for when you add a lot of power to your car.
The Cruze has a sketchy grounding system. When you add equipment that draws more power, it strains the already weak ground system. By adding a big three to the vehicle, you greatly enhance the grounding or return path as well as increase the flow capability to the starter.

@XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I added the big 3 kit to my car and it didn't affect the noise I'm having at all.

Noise heard here: IMG_4583

I think I could live with the audio quality for now. It's not anywhere near what I was suspecting but at this point I'm fairly drained and tired of troubleshooting the whole thing. This morning I ran an RTA app on my phone and turned my volume to max undistorted volume playing pink noise with the settings the op recommended and this is the result:

Idk if I'm missing something but having the DSP only being able to put out .9V and then having the dsp input set at -7.2 and then having the woofers output at -9 and -5.2 makes me feel like the poor things are getting almost no power at all sent to them.

I just set the dsp to default and only set the crossover settings and left everything else the same. Might add the delay settings later but this is what I get now.

Everything sounds more uniform but it's still nothing that wows me. If only I could eliminate the buzzing noise I'd be fine. I've tried every trick in the book and most people tell me it's the **** dsp. Apparently they're notorious for making noise for people in the car audio community. Wish I had known that sooner. I tested the theory and unplugged each different component in the system and the second the dsp is removed there is no more noise. Even tried running my phone directly to the dsp and still noise. So I guess either I got a bad unit or like everyone else states the minidsp is junk. At least in a car setting.

481 - 496 of 496 Posts