Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
The silver flute woofers are currently out of stock. :( I wanted to buy a set too...oh well.

XR, is there any noticeable difference between the Silver flutes and the Dayton Audio (higher priced) raw drivers?

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The silver flute woofers are currently out of stock. :( I wanted to buy a set too...oh well.

XR, is there any noticeable difference between the Silver flutes and the Dayton Audio (higher priced) raw drivers?
The Dayton drivers have a bit of a stronger midbass but don't cross as high and aren't as clear in the higher midrange so they need a lower crossover point which means they need to be paired with a good tweeter. They do have a tad more excursion, and the phase plug helps the off-axis response.

Just wait for the silver flutes to come back in stock. They were out of stock before and they always come back.

Sent from mobile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Silver Flutes arrived and boy are they MASSIVE. I see what you mean about the motor structure. I took your advice and spliced the PAC harness into itself to give it power. Where did you end up giving power to the miniDC? I was sort of thinking about splicing into the Pac for that as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all I would like to say thanks for taking the time to put together all of this great info. It's very helpful to those of us without much experience in the field. I am pretty new to the Cruze family and to the field of car audio as well. If I hadn't stumbled across this thread, I probably would've spent a lot more money, and ended up with a far inferior system than what I think I can achieve now. I currently have a '14 Cruze with the "Premium" 9 speaker Pioneer system, which is really not so good IMO. Based on the reading that I have done so far, I am assuming that I will want to replace all of the speakers, add the miniDSP, amplifiers and a sub. I'm thinking a single 10 or 12 will satisfy my needs. After a lot of reading I have a couple of questions. First of all, I see that you recommend front speakers only, so in my case would you just leave the rears unhooked, or is there a different DSP that you would recommend to run all of them? Second of all, I admit I'm a bit of a newb to car audio, but how does the miniDSP tie into the existing stereo? Does the OEM head unit have an auxiliary output? My last question would be regarding the center channel. Should I leave it stock, unhook it completely, or swap it out also and amplify it as well. I was leaning toward the silver flute / vifa combo that you recommend for the best value. I appreciate any help in advance.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Xtreme. Looks like I am going to go this route instead of my dls speakers. Issue is I do not have a 4ch amp. How much power should I be looking for per a channel for the silver flutes and tweeters

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
First of all I would like to say thanks for taking the time to put together all of this great info. It's very helpful to those of us without much experience in the field. I am pretty new to the Cruze family and to the field of car audio as well. If I hadn't stumbled across this thread, I probably would've spent a lot more money, and ended up with a far inferior system than what I think I can achieve now. I currently have a '14 Cruze with the "Premium" 9 speaker Pioneer system, which is really not so good IMO. Based on the reading that I have done so far, I am assuming that I will want to replace all of the speakers, add the miniDSP, amplifiers and a sub. I'm thinking a single 10 or 12 will satisfy my needs. After a lot of reading I have a couple of questions. First of all, I see that you recommend front speakers only, so in my case would you just leave the rears unhooked, or is there a different DSP that you would recommend to run all of them? Second of all, I admit I'm a bit of a newb to car audio, but how does the miniDSP tie into the existing stereo? Does the OEM head unit have an auxiliary output? My last question would be regarding the center channel. Should I leave it stock, unhook it completely, or swap it out also and amplify it as well. I was leaning toward the silver flute / vifa combo that you recommend for the best value. I appreciate any help in advance.
MiniDSP ties in using a line out converter off of the front two channels. I use the PAC AA-GM44. Admittedly, the AudioControl LC2i would be a better option but also costs 2.5x as much.

I left the rear speakers disconnected. The tuning would be impossible with them there and they destroy the sound stage anyway.

Center channel will be disconnected. I recommend the RS180/Prestige combo if you can afford it.

Xtreme. Looks like I am going to go this route instead of my dls speakers. Issue is I do not have a 4ch amp. How much power should I be looking for per a channel for the silver flutes and tweeters
45W per channel will do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I left the rear speakers disconnected. The tuning would be impossible with them there and they destroy the sound stage anyway.
Not sure if you did this or not (or covered it in one of your previous posts), but if leaving speakers in the car disconnected you should always "short" the speaker out. This will keep it from resonating out of phase with your music at its resonant frequency and creating a null in your response.

Given their location low in the rear doors I doubt it's too much of a concern, but it's good practice. Same goes for un-used speakers in a house where music/HT systems are located.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so what do i need if i want to keep the stock head unit have a set of boston pro for the front doors with tweets jl 10w7 sub for trunk and jl500 for sub. crossovers and anything else i may need.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
MiniDSP ties in using a line out converter off of the front two channels. I use the PAC AA-GM44. Admittedly, the AudioControl LC2i would be a better option but also costs 2.5x as much.

Center channel will be disconnected. I recommend the RS180/Prestige combo if you can afford it.

45W per channel will do.

XR. I am going to be ordering the speakers this week and your goods in about 3 weeks from now. I was thinking about having a center channel. Remove the useless storage piece, buy the grill from a chevy dealer and put in a nice center channel with would work with the tweeters and mid's I have chosen. What do you think of this??

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
You don't need a center channel when the 2 way fronts is done correctly.

Edit: if your not having much passengers in the back disconnect those too. You don't need them playing background music. If you're putting the time in for the front stage Then there wont be a need for anything else then what's in the 2 front doors.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Thansk for the reply giant. I thought it was not necessary but figured it would enhance it. The rear doors will be disconnected. I will be using fac location for the tweeters as well for an easier install.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
so what do i need if i want to keep the stock head unit have a set of boston pro for the front doors with tweets jl 10w7 sub for trunk and jl500 for sub. crossovers and anything else i may need.
Amp for your front stage and some form of processor(mini dsp, bit one etc).

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
what to buy, so many to choose from dont want to over spend. I think i have the amp part covered jut need help with the dsp stuff.
Pick from one combo. The tune files are published for both, for the Cruze with the stock head unit.

Either the Silver Flute/Vifa combo or for a little bit more, the Dayton/Seas combo. Both will destroy anything with a car audio label at 3x their price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pick from one combo. The tune files are published for both, for the Cruze with the stock head unit.

Either the Silver Flute/Vifa combo or for a little bit more, the Dayton/Seas combo. Both will destroy anything with a car audio label at 3x their price.

In my last car, I spent tons of money trying different combinations of speakers and subs thinking there was a magic combination. There isn't. I followed Xtreme's guide and went with the Silver Flutes and Vifa's: with his tune, this car sounds WAY better than the last one, and overall I spent ~$300 less on speakers. And that's just the speakers.

MAKE SURE to get the miniDSP because that really changed everything. I tried it without any of his tuning and then I set the miniDSP and it's incredible what the difference is.

41 - 60 of 496 Posts