Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

The things you would change about your Cruze?

12K views 60 replies 37 participants last post by  guuyuk 
#1 ·
I love my new Cruze but my previous car (conveniently my first car) set the standard for me and what I love about cars. I have a few things I hate about the Cruze though and was wondering if others shares my distaste towards some of these features. What are your guys` thoughts? Anything you guys don't like about your Cruze?

1 - I am used to kicking my door open and it staying open. In the Cruze, it doesn't "catch" open very well and I have to open it and hold it in place to find it's sweet spot to keep open. It drives me nuts!

2 - How far back the dome light is. When I open my doors I can't see anything because the light is set so far back. I know we have map lights but sometimes I just need a light on for a second and would rather not have to manually turn it on for a second then turn it back off.

3 - No trunk release button?! I hate having to open the trunk with the FOB only. (Maybe there is a button I am missing and that'd be great news!)

4 - In almost every car I've driven you can adjust your side mirrors to reveal your blind spots so you don't have to crank your head 180 degrees to see your blind spots. This car I cant do that with; there is ALWAYS a significant blind spot on my sides.

See less See more
#2 ·
A new can of worms has just been opened !
The speakers are always a good start .
I have always pulled out those pos in all of my rides .

#4 · (Edited)
There is a button above the number plate but doors must be unlocked for it to work. The outside mirrors are curved (convex) and I have no problem with blind spots there. The dome light is so you can see to get into or out of the car and for me it works fine. I agree the door falls shut unless it is fully open but I am used to it after 14 months. I believe your car doesn't have a lock on the petrol flap, I would hate that, luckily the Aussie cruze locks the flap when the doors lock.

But hey it's a nice drive and no car is perfect.

#6 ·
There is a trunk release latch dead center over the license plate. What the Cruze doesn't have is an interior trunk release. Technically it has one - you fold down the rear seats and use the emergency release latch inside the trunk.

Door open dome lights - I'd love to have the front map lights come on as well, but I suspect the reason they don't is because they are so bright that they would immediately night blind many people.

The blind spot is a little larger on this car than you would expect. My recommendation for you would be to go to your local auto store and purchase a pair of the convex mirror stickies and stick them to the outer corner of your side view mirrors.

I agree with you on the door holders. They're next to useless, especially when you park facing uphill like I do. They will hold the doors open, you just have to hold the door for a moment for them to catch.

#7 ·
Little things that bug me is the fact the lower doors do not have carpet on them, The inside trunk release like my Buick Park Avenue, the steering wheel is 3 spoke instead of 4 spoke, The cruse control on-off switch is to sensitive (your hand brushes it when on it turns the cruse off), The door hold open thing is not a major issue for me as my old Chrysler LeBaron would chop your legs off as its detents were even weaker then the Cruzes, no lumbar support in the drivers seat (both my Buick and Chrysler has it) I also like the removable flashlight that my wife's Caliber has.

#8 ·
1 - No interior trunk release button
2 - No "repeat track" option for the CD player (We have a young daughter that falls asleep on longer car rides to a certain Elvis track).

+1 on the larger than usual blind spot. I always look before changing lanes as well, but the mirrors do have that blind spot that cars tend to hide in at times. Mine are all minor things, overall I am definitely more than satisfied with my Cruze!

#11 ·
I agree with Terrrible T .. the Gentlemen through out the audio section have a lot of years experience with car audio . I do not have the time nor interest these days to contribute much . Although I do chime in from time to time .

#12 ·
The only convex mirror is the ones that say "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". You can shoot laser out of the drivers mirror at target vehicle but not the passenger mirror for this reason. Reason you see police cars hide the entire car behind something and only leave the drivers mirror exposed.

Blind spots are horrible but not like the Dodge Avenger. The B pillars are like 8 inches into the cabin. I felt like the family guy skit "I turn now, good luck everybody!"

I would change the seats, they need to be softer. 2 minute ride whatever, 8 hr trip I have to stop even if I don't need to get gas or go to the bathroom.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I wish they had a turn signal on the side mirrors. Doesn't bother me much but Imo they are nice to have.

Reactions: jblackburn
#16 ·
I hate the stock headlights that come with it. The front grill not being fully opened but only in the center bothers me (yeah i know... aerodynamics). The rear of the car is so high off the ground it just looks weird. I've noticed that when you have rear passengers, you put your seat forward and your gas pedal leg gets cut into by the center console design. It becomes painful during longer drives. I don't like how the hood is held open by the rod. The steering wheel buttons feel so brittle and cheap. I hate how Chevy refuses to come into the new age with the key system. The keyless touch start and whatnot surely should be standard by now. I don't like how the driver and passenger seats are anchored down and I can't remove them by taking off four hex nuts. There are many more. NOW no car is perfect and I LOVE MY CRUZE. It's an awesome car. This car is literally the best car for it's value undeniably. These are just a few things that bother me a lot and I will change them if I can.
Mike

#17 ·
Easiest vehicle I have ever owned to lock yourself out of, won't even leave this thing for a second unless that remote entry is in my hand. And do have a new 2032 battery in the glove compartment, can't even use that one door key without setting off the alarm.

Lighting was very poor, so installed for lamps, 30% brighter head lamp bulbs, and Sliverstars for the backup lamps. Odd they put the mode switch for that dome light on the rear of that lamp. Typically just leave that off so I am not standing there waiting for it to go off on its own, to wake up to a dead battery.

No problem with the doors staying locked open with my 12 2LT, you must have weak springs, see your dealer. Do agree with the driver's side mirror, no matter how its adjusted, will give a blind spot in mine. Suppose to turn your head anyway when changing lanes on the interstate. Ha, was doing that for years when cars didn't even have side view mirrors.

Putting in a flat nosed rectangular key in a flat rectangular key hole, takes practice, finally getting use to this after 18 months, but sure is a backwards step. That angle even if you can find that hole, has to be perfect.

What's a CD? Only tried it once. Granddaughter, must be a kid thing likes to hear the same song over and over again, MP3 players does have a repeat mode. Also have to agree with that cruise switch, to easy to brush and wonder why the cruise doesn't work, but getting use to that. Took a long time for my wife not to push that button at the end of the directional signal lever, took me awhile also to set the cruise. GM has been putting that switch there since the 60's.

And why do people also call me when making a turn with my steering wheel 180 degrees out of phase, that really screws me up. Did take awhile to get use to this car, but you learn to like it. You need to buy a cushion for lumbar, but a standard size is too large, have to cut it in half.

#20 ·
How is your hammer hanging NickD ?
Read any of the daily poison in the raggs lately ? sure has been getting ugly in some parts around here !

#21 ·
I don't mind that rod to hold up the hood, simple and reliable, take a peek under there before a long trip. Those air pressure shock like lifts are very expensive to replace.

Just hop in my Cruze, fasten my seat belt first so I don't have to listen to that ding ding ding. Pause in run position position to see all those lights come on, hit the starter to watch them all go off and say, we are good to go. Ha, at least this time.

#22 ·
I agree on the blind spots. I found them to be worse in my LS( I always seemed to be right where the pillar was since I am tall) than my Eco. The Eco has power seats the LS did not. I also agree about the trunk release. Another thing is the lack of leg room in the back seat if the front passengers are tall. The radio I agree overall sucks but I seemed to find a sweet spot using the fader to make it sound good for me.

#25 ·
The doors don't stay open well enough. It needs stronger detents in the arm that holds the doors open. Just the slope on a normal driveway will cause the door to shut. Why did GM feel the need to change the convention on the heater controls and key fobs? This car is backwards from the other 4 cars in my driveway. The center armrest is: too small, doesn't stay locked in place, and is too hard and needs more padding.

#26 · (Edited)
In about 1 week i will get my chevrolet Cruze 1.8 LT, black carbon flash (2014).

I have bought following:

1. After market Entertainment system with iGo navi, bluetooth, ad2d streaming, usb, aux, 3G internet, config your cruze menu, etc 7" display with external display (ipad) integration and back camera
Electronics Multimedia Technology Vehicle Electronic device

2. New blizzard silver 17" rims for winther tires
Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Auto part

3. Angel Eyes CCFL Front light projector incl LED side blink
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Chevrolet cruze

4. Carbon fibre door sill protector , and back rear
Vehicle Car Grille Carbon Trademark
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Trunk

5. Water safe complete set of mats for winther season (cruze model)
Mat Floor Flooring Personal protective equipment

6. Back Seat protectors behind incl pockets

7. ipad neck holder

8. Black bowtie overlay

Pics will come next week :)

#30 ·
I've been looking to replace my stock infotainment thing with something like this. if you dont mind me asking, where did you purchase this, and how do you like it? :) thanks!

"1. After market Entertainment system with iGo navi, bluetooth, ad2d streaming, usb, aux, 3G internet, config your cruze menu, etc 7" display with external display (ipad) integration and back camera
"

#31 ·
#1 thing on my list is how they treated the interior of the lower doors...more in how they didn't do anything. I constantly find myself kicking this area with my foot as I get in and out of the car. It's already covered in scuff marks. They should have put some carpet on this area.

Reactions: plasticplant
#33 ·
Before anything, I'd change the seats out more comfortable ones, with a lumbar support.
Does none know if the seats are different in different models/years that may be better? I see that the seats are a common comlaint

#36 ·
I hate reverse on the MT. Facing downwards on a hill, you either almost stall or burn the crap out of the clutch. Why does it have to be geared so much differently than 1st?

The plastic door checks are next to useless.

I'd make the center console bigger, put in a little more interior storage, give it a more powerful AC, and all models should have the 6 fan speeds on the 2013-2014 models.

The base radio constantly freezes up or hates talking to my phone.

The (cloth) front seats need a bit more lower back support but are otherwise very comfortable to me on long trips - I did NOT like the leather seats. Hard and uncomfortable.

I have no issues with blind spots - but I tend to look over my shoulder if I haven't been watching traffic behind me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.