Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Please ignore Cadogan, he has a habit of saying to vehicle importers, "Give me such-and-such a vehicle for a year or I'll give you a bad review."

He's an arsehole, to put it simply. And I don't give a fat rat's clacker if the asterisker can't handle "arsehole."

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Dpf has been out 11 years now. Def 8 years. And they're not going away.

If you don't like em. Don't buy a diesel.

From what you all are posting. Seems like a hassle owning one in the winter time anyways. Other then the better fuel economy. And i guess the longer range. What's the purpose of owning one?

Has anyone figured the cost per mile of fuel vs. gas. Being that fuel is roughly $.60 higher per gallon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From what you all are posting. Seems like a hassle owning one in the winter time anyways. Other then the better fuel economy. And i guess the longer range. What's the purpose of owning one?

Has anyone figured the cost per mile of fuel vs. gas. Being that fuel is roughly $.60 higher per gallon.
Kind of answered your own question. Fuel economy and longer range.

Up here in Canadia the economics are a bit different as gas and diesel are usually pretty close. Currently diesel is 8 cents a gallon more last week it was 8 cents less.

I think most people realize that there isn't a huge economic benefit unless you drive a lot of highway miles.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Dpf has been out 11 years now. Def 8 years. And they're not going away.

If you don't like em. Don't buy a diesel.

Ever own a diesel? I will never go back to gas. I had a few problems with my CTD but it was mainly sensors. I have 48k on mine now and have been friggin happy as heck overall. Nothing like a diesel for some reason. I get an easy 60 mpg when I go to Iowa. Power is excellent and the engine lives in oil, so the longevity should be great. I couldn't even imagine going to a 40 mpg car any longer and 40 mpg is good, just not good enough for me. It would pi$$ me off seeing anything under 50 mpg for some reason. Either you like diesels or you don't. For those that don't, I don't get that either.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
That’s video was just really annoying. I have had almost ZERO problems with my diesel for 54k miles. EGR valve open no start, took 45min and cleaned and back on road. Def tank heater, replaced under special warranty in a day. That’s it. No other issues. I don’t fret over stuff, I haven’t even personally bought def fluid yet, free changes Of def Heater replacement I guess. I couldn’t be happier. I didn’t finish the video, I don’t enjoy watching junk like that. Diesel isn’t for everyone.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Ever own a diesel? I will never go back to gas. I had a few problems with my CTD but it was mainly sensors. I have 48k on mine now and have been friggin happy as heck overall. Nothing like a diesel for some reason. I get an easy 60 mpg when I go to Iowa. Power is excellent and the engine lives in oil, so the longevity should be great. I couldn't even imagine going to a 40 mpg car any longer and 40 mpg is good, just not good enough for me. It would pi$$ me off seeing anything under 50 mpg for some reason. Either you like diesels or you don't. For those that don't, I don't get that either.
Nope. I like the reliability of gas. Don't have to worry about glow plugs, fuel gel, clogged dpf, frozen def.

I drive semi's. That's enough deisel for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone , I posted this for amusement , yes the guy is a smuck and thought we all would get a few good laugh out of it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The guy is annoying and bald but he seems to be 100% correct about everything he mentioned. 8k mile on my 2017 in 2 months, one DEF sensor recall, and now a check-engine light. I haven’t bothered to read the OBD/check-engine code yet. Maybe some day this week. I was hoping the my-chevy app would report the OBD/check-engine fault code to me. But nooooo. As always, i don’t care much about that expected software/sensor/DPF stuff as long as the manual transmission keeps shifting right and the engine keeps running like new, nice loud shaky vibrato at idle especially when not fully warmed up. On a cold winter start it’s especially funny that they called this engine a ‘whisper diesel’.

I love the sounds of compression-based ignition in the morning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy is annoying and bald but he seems to be 100% correct about everything he mentioned. 8k mile on my 2017 in 2 months, one DEF sensor recall, and now a check-engine light. I haven’t bothered to read the OBD/check-engine code yet. Maybe some day this week. I was hoping the my-chevy app would report the OBD/check-engine fault code to me. But nooooo. As always, i don’t care much about that expected software/sensor/DPF stuff as long as the manual transmission keeps shifting right and the engine keeps running like new, nice loud shaky vibrato at idle especially when not fully warmed up. On a cold winter start it’s especially funny that they called this engine a ‘whisper diesel’.

I love the sounds of compression-based ignition in the morning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it's Whisper Diesel (when it's warmed up LOL)
Like you I love Compression-based ignition as well ..the gen I was like an VW ALH motor so I welcome the sound of a diesel ....

·
Registered
157 Posts
My first diesel was an ALH in a 2001 VW Jetta wagon stickshift :). Had 3 more VW pre-cheater diesels after that. The ALH was my favorite VW TDI engine too.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Other then the better fuel economy. And i guess the longer range. What's the purpose of owning one?
The low end torque is amazing for one. The people smarter than you that walk up to you at the pump and whisper "you know that is the diesel pump?" or yell "Hey dumbass you just put diesel in your car!" for everyone to hear get a really puzzled look on their faces when you say "I hope so" and drive off. Kinda makes your day.

the difference is .38 at the Texaco closest to the house. My wife got 35 combined city/hwy in her gen 1 diesel, (a little higher in the gen 2). Neighbor gets 28 in her gen 1 gas. Diesel is $2.59, gas $2.21 at said Texaco. 7.4 cents/mile for the diesel. 7.8 c/m for the gas. Highway only gen 1 diesel 259/53= 4.9 c/m, gas 221/38=5.8 c/m. Side note I can get 60+ highway in the Gen 2 diesel dropping it down to 4.3 c/m.

Yes, I know that means you have to put a lot (300000 +/-) of miles on it to recoup the cost difference.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Yes, let's all delete the dpfs. I am a libertarian and say I should be able to do anything I want!

**** my daughter has lung cancer. Not my fault though, just bad luck I guess.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well there's a lot of variables. For me I got my Gen 1 as a program car for less than what a gasser would cost. The Gen 2 I bought as a '17 closeout, again for a very competitive price as well. Our usage model and philosophy is a bit different. I commute 50-60 miles a day. The wife is about 40 miles a day. We both decided a few years ago that even though I'm handy with a wrench and know my way around PCM/BCM diagnostics that having a car with an extended warranty works best for us. We just budget around a payment and buy the warranty up front with the understanding that in 4-5 years we're going to do it again. Any failure of either vehicle the dealer takes care of us. We're not trying to chase down parts or budget a rental in the event of a breakdown (or working on it -20*F). So it boils down to operating costs. I've kept a spreadsheet for years and even with buying a couple DEF refills and some Power Service treatment in the winter, the Gen 1 diesel had far less operating cost vs. the Cobalt it replaced. The Gen 2 is on track to reduce this even further as so far it gets a consistent 7-10 more MPG vs. the Gen 1.

Reliability wise I had to take the Gen 1 into the shop twice for a recall and once for a pump failure on the DEF tank. Only the DEF tank was an inconvenience (Dealer provided rental) as I was able to drop the car off for oil changes and do the recalls at the same time. The Gen 1 never gelled or stranded us. We took it on a couple trips and as others have reported the mileage and torque were outstanding. The Gen 2 has gelled on me once. I contacted KyleB (who has a thread in here) via PM and both of us used the same station brand (Kum&Go and we're both in the same city) so I suspect that the distributor has a bad batch. I have since filled at a different station and no issues since (this morning the wind chill is in the -20 to -40* range). So hassle and reliability wise I don't really have any complaints.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I parked on a snow in my driveway as I often do with my fleet of vehicles. With the 2017 cruze diesel the result seems to be a bent-90-degrees pointing directly downward a metal flap wn from under the right front of the car, exposing a BIG hole in something.

I think it may be a belly shield or the DPF itself.
Also check-engine light occurred - dunno which code it's throwing.
Car is at dealership now.

The check-engine code may be "Are you some kind of VW cheater? You just tore the DPF entirely off of the car." . Maybe it's due to defect that the metal flap thing could "catch" on something as forgiving as a couple inches of snow, and bend downward like that. Or maybe it's due to a boneheaded driver. Or both.

A new thread will probably result from this repair and engine code once it's finalized.

If indeed I did accidentally remove the DPF, i haven't noticed any drivability issue, the car runs same as before. I wonder if the dealer could just cut off the huge flap and leave the DPF with a huge hole in it if I opt not to have it repaired. :| Maybe I accidentally discovered an easy way to remove the DPF - just rip a huge hole in it by driving over too many inches of dense snow. The ECM will detect it lack of pressure inside DPF - will throw the engine code - and it will never use the DPF again, or any DEF. maybe it would detect the "stale DEF" after a year or three of not using DEF ! :|

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Nope. I like the reliability of gas. Don't have to worry about glow plugs, fuel gel, clogged dpf, frozen def.

I drive semi's. That's enough deisel for me.
Modern Gas engines are having challenges too due to the CAFE standards, and stricter emissions.. there is no free lunch here. There is a Gen 2 thread on the Gas engine where an owner of two cars has had BOTH blow the #1 piston at about 30K miles..

The limits are being pushed on all engine technologies to meet regulations.. no one gets off without some possible downside.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It is almost certainly not the DPF, it is likely a heat shield for the exhaust, and the code is likely related to a damaged sensor(s), and/or the DEF injector which is in about that location from your description. A hole in the DEF would take much more than just snow, it is heat shielded heavy gauge Stainless steel, bolted to the front of the engine. To damage the DPF, you would have likely totaled the car, and had airbags deploy.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Modern Gas engines are having challenges too due to the CAFE standards, and stricter emissions.. there is no free lunch here. There is a Gen 2 thread on the Gas engine where an owner of two cars has had BOTH blow the #1 piston at about 30K miles..

The limits are being pushed on all engine technologies to meet regulations.. no one gets off without some possible downside.
There's 2 plus 1 car with piston failure. On this forum. And neither have absolutely anything to do with your statement. That's 3 cars that we know of. Out of how many millions out on the road.

Whatever caused those pistons to fail. It's more then likely a assembly flaw or design flaw. Or maybe operations problem from the owners driving habits. Although, I'd think that if it were a design flaw. There would have been a serious recall.

Nobody has posted yet as to why that 1 piston has failed. For all we know. They all went out to the tracks and raced.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts