Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had an auto trans leak and had an axle seal replaced. I found the leak during an oil change.

Since there is no way for the owner to check auto trans fluid level, what happens if a leak goes undetected, the fluid goes down and the tranny fries?

Is it covered under 100k powertrain warranty????

Or is it owner neglect since fluids weren't topped off???

One of the techs at the dealership said to me "What's wrong with a dipstick?"

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Good question. I wonder what percentage of the million US Cruze owners actually look under theirs to see if anything is leaking. My guess is pretty much only those that see spots on the driveway. But the dip stickless transmission is not unique to the Cruze.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Practically all the rental vehicles in Italy came with manual transmissions. And believe me, you have to do a lot more shifting in Italy than you have to do in the US. Wonder if there is a reason for this.

To do it yourself, have to use four jack stands as the car has to be level to check the fluid in the AT, rather inconvenient. And need a syringe to top it off. Know its full when fluid starts to drip on your face.

One reason I read in some professional automotive magazine to get rid of the dipstick is so the user won't pour windshield washer fluid down that hole. But sure doesn't stop an idiot from using the wrong type of transmission fluid. Also read this years ago when they got rid of the pan drain plug, somebody in there wisdom said they want to make sure you change the filter as well! But if that pan sticks, will sure get a bath with AT fluid.

For this guy, was a darn good reason to buy a vehicle with a manual transmission, have some control over the vehicle that is being taken away step by step and also a thousand bucks richer. Equally teed off when they got rid of the radiator cap.

Good question if your AT is dripping fluid, is there any kind of driver's warning that the fluid is getting low? Maybe some expert from GM can answer this question. Sure doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I just had an auto trans leak and had an axle seal replaced. I found the leak during an oil change.

Since there is no way for the owner to check auto trans fluid level, what happens if a leak go undetected, the fluid goes down and the tranny fries?

Is it covered under 100k powertrain warranty????

Or is it owner neglect since fluids weren't topped off???

One of the techs at the dealership said to me "What's wrong with a dipstick?"
Fairly straightfoward response:
The trans is considered, sealed by the manufacturer.....no different than, say, a wheel bearing cartridge.
Neither is considered serviceable by the consumer.....case of the wheel hub, not serviceable by anyone.

Since it is sealed, it is assembled with a prescribed amount of lubricant, and, if there is no leakage, there is no loss.

In the event a seal fails, unknown to the operator, and there is a resultant failure due to the leakage, that means part of the sealed assembly failed and the actual trans damage is resultant.
Simply stated, the trans failed as a result of the failure of a covered component......and, that failure and resultant damage is indeed covered under warranty......3/36 or 5/100 depending on age and current mileage.

Since niether the consumer or serviceman are instructed to check the fluid level it is a non issue.

However, should a serviceman see leakage one would hope he would take action to alert you so it could be addressed.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Fairly straightfoward response:
The trans is considered, sealed by the manufacturer.....no different than, say, a wheel bearing cartridge.
Neither is considered serviceable by the consumer.....case of the wheel hub, not serviceable by anyone.

Since it is sealed, it is assembled with a prescribed amount of lubricant, and, if there is no leakage, there is no loss.

In the event a seal fails, unknown to the operator, and there is a resultant failure due to the leakage, that means part of the sealed assembly failed and the actual trans damage is resultant.
Simply stated, the trans failed as a result of the failure of a covered component......and, that failure and resultant damage is indeed covered under warranty......3/36 or 5/100 depending on age and current mileage.

Since niether the consumer or serviceman are instructed to check the fluid level it is a non issue.

However, should a serviceman see leakage one would hope he would take action to alert you so it could be addressed.

Rob
Make perfect sense, unless you run across a dealer and only getting reverse telling you this is perfectly normal. Like my rear disc caliper problem, pedal was going clear to the floor, can see excessive play in the rear pads, parking brake could not adjust them. But perfectly normal, what are you complaining about, still have brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Make perfect sense, unless you run across a dealer and only getting reverse telling you this is perfectly normal. Like my rear disc caliper problem, pedal was going clear to the floor, can see excessive play in the rear pads, parking brake could not adjust them. But perfectly normal, what are you complaining about, still have brakes.
Nick,
Try this and report back.

Start engine and firmly apply brake pedal......do not release.
While holding pedal, press and hold the release button on the park brake lever and cycle it up to fully engaged and down fully ten times.

Now go for a drive and see if the pedal travel has improved.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Nick,
Try this and report back.

Start engine and firmly apply brake pedal......do not release.
While holding pedal, press and hold the release button on the park brake lever and cycle it up to fully engaged and down fully ten times.

Now go for a drive and see if the pedal travel has improved.

Rob
Wouldn't this deal with excessive play in the rear calipers. Took all four calipers off and cleaned and painted the pad brackets, plus used anti-seize for the lubricant on key pad spots.

Already have all four bleeders coated with Permatex non-hardening gasket maker to prevent thread leaks. And when I first start the car and hit around 6 mph, this kicks on the ABS pump for a second or so. And by doing a vacuum bleed, getting out more air bubbles. Pump is moving those air bubbles down stream.

Almost there now, pedal height increased by another two inches. I did hear about spinning a wheel with the ABS turned on will activate the pump, but I haven't tried this yet. Also some guys recommend taking your car to a gravel road and hitting the brake hard to activate the pump. Still won't get rid of that air and want to fix my Cruze, not wreck it.

Shop manual states in normal operation the two rear valves in the ABS modulate to emulate the rear disc calipers eliminating the need for proportioning valves. Must be done very quietly, can't hear this on a smooth road.

Another guy on youtube is fooling around with a Snap-On scanner to activate the pump. But just activating it, not opening the bleeders to get that air out. When I could power the ABS pump, bleeding would get all the air out in less than ten seconds using the proper wheel sequence. Dealer won't loan my his GMTechII scanner. When I was dealing with my Honda dealer, would loan me any special tools I needed. Take them home at night, bring them back in the morning with a couple of dozen sweet rolls.

Seems like after this crunch, dealers have become quite nasty since then.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
All the new systems, be they GM or any other manufacturer, are now 'Cloud' based.

The TechII can only display current and pending codes but cannot command updates.
In GM's case, the system is called GM Global.
A transmitter/reciever is plugged into the ALDL and your enabled laptop is tied into that unit.
Any product updates, or reflashes, are controlled by your laptop wirelessly paired with the aforementioned transmitter/reciever.

So, not much point in pestering them for the old TechII.......there have been no updates to the handheld unit now for about four, soon to be five years.

I was at the dealer one day about a year ago and the mechanic there was showing me the capabilities using my car as a test platform.
Rolling windows up and down, turning various lights on and off, blowing the horn, etc........all from the other side of the shop through his laptop.

The screen also displayed each program in my ECM and BCM and indicate if any 'reflashes' were available or required.
An example....I had recently installed the 'Two Shot' trunk relay.
A few weeks after the install, I could see that there had been a update for the trunk switch that introduced a two second button hold for actuation.
Asked if update desired.
Took a pass but may consider it down the road since I still have the original relay........the instructions indicated the update would not work in the presence of the 'Two Shot'

My usual long winded answer, in this case regarding to not bother anyone about the TechII......No Joy.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Dealer gave me that two step trunk relay after I informed him about that recall he didn't know about. Let me install it myself, on top of the dash fuse panel. Carefully opened the two tabs as to not break them, panel pulled forward, pulled the old relay and plugged in the new one.

Tested this new relay first on my workbench. Got the invoice on this two step relay, price was 88 bucks, but free under warranty. First thing that occurred to me, would have been a lot cheaper to replace the chip in the remotes like GM use to do. Had to hold the trunk release button down for two seconds before it would open, same with the doors.

You are correct with reflashing, was thinking back a couple of years. Did plug in that WiFi/Bluetooth device in the diagnostic socket and upgraded the electric power steering code from the shop computer. But still took them a half a day to find it.

Page 5-34 on the Cruze shop manual describes using the latest greater GM scanner that automatically pulses the valves and runs the ABS pump for brake bleeding. See my dealers don't even have shop manuals anymore, play on the computer for a couple of hours trying to find this information.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this thread went WAY off track and no answer from GM.:angry::th_down::disgust:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts