Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My new 2014 Cruze Eco 6MT has just under 1,000 miles.

-The driver's side side-view mirror whistles like an old man serving soup. Starts at about 50 mph and gets louder and higher pitched the faster I go. If I stick my hand out the window and put it over the back (painted) side of mirror, it stops. I tried sticking a small strip of packing tape over the small seam between the painted cover and the black plastic mount/frame but it didn't stop the whistle. Any idea on a fix?

-Every time I hit a slight bump at speed it sounds like there's $1 worth of pennies rattling behind the HVAC controls. Sound like it's behind the air knobs and buttons. While driving I was feeling around with my hand to find out how the side kick panel is mounted, found a small gap toward the back, felt something metallic through it, and burned the **** out of my finger. What could possibly be back there that needs to be so hot? I'm surprised there's no melting plastic, it was like a soldering iron. Anyways it sounds like the rattling is coming from around there. If I can get access to behind the center console I should be able to wrap whatever is making the noise with foam. Question is how do I get back there?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
You can either use a knife (or properly a trim removal kit) and pop off the trim around the shift knob. this will allow you access to that. Also, the 2 kick panels on each side of the console simply pop out (knife or trim tool again)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I used my fingers to take the trim and kick panels off. Take your car in and have your dealership fix these items. Take the tech on a test drive so he can hear them.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
While driving I was feeling around with my hand to find out how the side kick panel is mounted, found a small gap toward the back, felt something metallic through it, and burned the **** out of my finger. What could possibly be back there that needs to be so hot? I'm surprised there's no melting plastic, it was like a soldering iron.
There is some heater lines that run in this area, since the 1.4T runs anywhere in the 180-230F range normally it will be extremely hot!

·
10,713 Posts
There is some heater lines that run in this area, since the 1.4T runs anywhere in the 180-230F range normally it will be extremely hot!
it takes forever to heat up, but when it does you want to get undressed halfway into the drive.

Use the **** out of the B2B (Bumper 2 Bumper) and try your best to get them to listen to it or you will get a sheet back full of CCND remarks (Customer concern not duplicated).

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
660 Posts
Find a good dealer and use them lol

Reactions: Merc6

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Find a good dealer and use them lol
Now if there was just method for finding a good dealer service department besides blind dumb luick.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Now if there was just method for finding a good dealer service department besides blind dumb luick.
No doubt! It's like shooting craps in Vegas. And you don't know how good they are until after you left your car with them for a day and blindly let them tear things apart.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
...and burned the **** out of my finger. What could possibly be back there that needs to be so hot? I'm surprised there's no melting plastic, it was like a soldering iron.
I burned the **** out of my finger the same way. All that heat down there also heats up your feet. Not so bad in the Winter, but it sucks in the Summer. I put some insulation around the pipes. It helps a little.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the kick panel off, that was actually surprisingly easy. The part I burned myself on is a metal box that two silver pipes go into. I'm not using the heat in my car this time of year but those pipes were still burning hot 30 min after I shut off the car. Is that part of the heater core? Unfortunately I couldn't find anything obvious that was causing the rattle noise

I took the car to the dealer and told them about the whistling. The body shop manager kindly agreed to drive the car quick with me before they left for the day. I was a bit worried when he tried backing up in 6th gear, and even more so when he decided to test drive it down a road being chip sealed. Luckily I talked him out of that. Anyways, he also thought it was coming from the mirror. I just put on some automotive masking tape in various spots on the mirror back and will try to pinpoint the whistle source.

Thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
On the Cruze, coolant flows through the heater core whenever the engine is running. That's why the pipes were hot even though you weren't using heat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI for anyone interested or having similar issues, I tracked down the mirror whistle to the small gap on the top of the mirror between the black plastic shroud and the painted mirror-back cover.

I covered up all the gaps with 3M green auto body tape one at a time, and that was the only spot when taped that completely stopped the whistle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts