Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im eyeing up a '12 2lt RS Blue topaz, auto. 63000 miles for 9k. I've yet to get a chance to look at it in person but the photos show a very nice, clean car. Here's my hangup. The free autocheck/carfax, has a record of it being theft recovered in early 2013. Doesn't mention how long it was "stolen" but looks like the original owner took it back as there's not a title change til 2015.
It's being sold by a reputable well known new car dealership makes me feel better about it as well as the fact that it appears the original owner kept it afterwards. Plus it was over 4 yrs ago, so it would seem like any possible damage attributed with that would've been dealt with by now.
Any advice?? Run away?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Im eyeing up a '12 2lt RS Blue topaz, auto. 63000 miles for 9k. I've yet to get a chance to look at it in person but the photos show a very nice, clean car. Here's my hangup. The free autocheck/carfax, has a record of it being theft recovered in early 2013. Doesn't mention how long it was "stolen" but looks like the original owner took it back as there's not a title change til 2015.
It's being sold by a reputable well known new car dealership makes me feel better about it as well as the fact that it appears the original owner kept it afterwards. Plus it was over 4 yrs ago, so it would seem like any possible damage attributed with that would've been dealt with by now.
Any advice?? Run away?
With 9k you should be able to get a 2014 with 25-30k miles on it

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Don’t rush in, trust your gut. It might be different if you were buying from the previous owner who could offer more details on the theft.

There are plenty of good deals out there on low mileage, 3-4 year old Cruzes. Be willing to expand your search area, sometimes worth traveling for a good used car.

Found my ‘14 Cruze Diesel 1,200 miles away, private party sale. Got a VERY clean, well-maintained car. Even paying airfare and car rental it was well worth the trip. Saved big money because Arizona doesn’t charge sales tax on private party vehicle transactions.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I don't see any reason to run away from that car based on the Carfax, but I think you can do better on the price. If the title isn't clean, a lot better. As always, have a trusted mechanic perform a PPI (pre-purchase inspection), if there are issues he should find them.

EDIT: I'm glad I didn't say anything stronger than "I think you can do better". (I still think you can)
A quick check of 2012 LT insurance cars with 58-68k on the odometers shows insurance claims payouts ranging from $8500-11k, and the 8500-9k cars probably weren't as clean as OP is looking at. I'm guessing the $11k cars included tax/title/license in the cash value.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The title is shown as clean with no salvage, but I would definitely be asking for any additional info if/when I go to look at it. Kbb shows it being right in line for price for the area and they actually dropped it. It started at 9700. With the theft and that I would be paying cash and was thinking of starting at like 7800 hoping they'd be happy with me taking it off their hands

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Got a chance to look at the car yesterday briefly before a wedding and it was in very nice shape as the photos showed. Took about a 15 min drive drove nice, auto shifted nice, brakes/tires are good shape, blasted heater no smell. The coolant under the hood looked good.
The couple things I noted were there was some oil residue on the left side of the engine like behind/under the alternator and pulleys. Leaky valves?? It was also apparently in a "front end collision with animal" I missed that in the autocheck before. Dealer didn't have any info on that, but it looked like they must have painted the front clip on the car as the radiator had some overspray. I noted overspray underneath the cab on both sides as well. These both seemed odd to me.
Anyways told the sales guy I had a number in mind of 8000 and I'd do a deposit right now. He seemed positive, went to his boss who shot it down and came back with some graph on 20most comparable cars w/in 100miles and how this was the best value. I said, yea but who knows if they've been stolen and in an accident. Blah blah blah commission this and that. I said thanks you got my number if you change your mind.
Bit of a bummer as I did like it and I liked the blue topaz even better right close up..
Edit- Hmmm,I see they've pulled the listing for the car as well...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m pretty sure if you look around you can get a good deal. I got my 2016 Cruze 1lt limited for roughly 12k with 30k miles and still under warranty. I got the car because i needed a daily and so far no complains. I like it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I'll sell you a 12kmi 2nd gen LT with sun and sound (sunroof/Bose audio/upgraded instruments and touchscreen/pushbutton start/power heated seats) for $11k, but like Ati, mine's rebuilt. (hit in driver's door, blew left seat bags and head curtains, I think it was totaled for the airbags).

Replaced the door, fender and airbags, had seat belts rebuilt, and paid four digits for factory quality paint. Can't tell the car from new now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts