Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found my newly installed new thermostat housing leaking. I had assumed it was due to the fact that I tried using a gasket sealant with the rubber gasket when I put it together, but upon closer inspection I'm wondering if it's because of these bumps in the gasket trough. Looks like a bad casting from the factory maybe? See image. Anyway, what do you all use on your gaskets? Nothing? High temp silicone?
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim Wood

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,421 Posts
Found my newly installed new thermostat housing leaking. I had assumed it was due to the fact that I tried using a gasket sealant with the rubber gasket when I put it together, but upon closer inspection I'm wondering if it's because of these bumps in the gasket trough. Looks like a bad casting from the factory maybe? See image. Anyway, what do you all use on your gaskets? Nothing? High temp silicone? View attachment 294903
Do not add silicone.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
4,175 Posts
The there are 3 gaskets on the 1.4L LUJ that require RTV. The oil pan gasket, the valve cover gasket (only where the head meets the timing cover), and the timing cover gasket (only where the head meets the block).

That's it. Everything else get assembled dry and torqued to spec.

·
Registered
353 Posts
assembled dry and torqued to spec.
What JLL said. :) (y)
I can't tell wtf happened to your thermostat, but I highly doubt that is a defect. Maybe installed by a defective person. hehe
I just replaced my water pump. And I inspected my thermostat before re-installing and it looked nearly new on my 2015. I cleaned the sealing surface and replaced the gasket, and its running great and leak free. Don't forget this is aluminum and plastic, not iron on iron. A gentle touch is required.
Yours looks dirty, everywhere 😲

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be kind of hard to see in the picture, but that stuff in the gasket channel is part of the thermostat housing. And I've tried it dry, that was the first time I put it back together after doing the water pump. It leaked. So I took it apart and tried it again with water pump gasket sealer. It leaked. Got a new thermostat housing thinking maybe the old one was warped. Again, this time with the Right Stuff 90 min gasket maker. Leaked. Yes, I know it's dirty in the pic, but it was cleaned thoroughly before every one of these installs. I waited the proper cure times and everything. The mating surface is flat and polished. Brand new gasket every time, perfectly clean. I've done many things to many cars. Never have I had this much trouble fixing a leak. I appreciate the responsiveness of the community on this one, but I really have already done everything you all are telling me. Any other ideas? Does the gasket channel on your car look like that?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,718 Posts
I installed a brand new dorman that leaked. Got oem and no issues. So it was defective. What brand is this one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts