Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found my newly installed new thermostat housing leaking. I had assumed it was due to the fact that I tried using a gasket sealant with the rubber gasket when I put it together, but upon closer inspection I'm wondering if it's because of these bumps in the gasket trough. Looks like a bad casting from the factory maybe? See image. Anyway, what do you all use on your gaskets? Nothing? High temp silicone?
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim Wood

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be kind of hard to see in the picture, but that stuff in the gasket channel is part of the thermostat housing. And I've tried it dry, that was the first time I put it back together after doing the water pump. It leaked. So I took it apart and tried it again with water pump gasket sealer. It leaked. Got a new thermostat housing thinking maybe the old one was warped. Again, this time with the Right Stuff 90 min gasket maker. Leaked. Yes, I know it's dirty in the pic, but it was cleaned thoroughly before every one of these installs. I waited the proper cure times and everything. The mating surface is flat and polished. Brand new gasket every time, perfectly clean. I've done many things to many cars. Never have I had this much trouble fixing a leak. I appreciate the responsiveness of the community on this one, but I really have already done everything you all are telling me. Any other ideas? Does the gasket channel on your car look like that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts