Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 1.4 runs a little hot, has anyone tried a lower temp thermostat? Is there one even available. I did do a search and could not find anything.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Part of the reason it runs hot is to improve fuel burn. I'm not sure you would want to cool it down.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
It's partially electronically controlled, so there's no easy way to go about it.

A tuner can lower the temperature.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
^^Edit: beat me to it

It's an electronic T-stat controlled by the ECU.

It runs where the computer wants it. I think it can be changed via tuning but not sure

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it, from the car world I came from we changed the thermostats, was not sure if it should or could be done with these cars. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I believe the Trifecta tune has it down to 180. I'm not 100% sure though.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App
200*F is typical for Trifecta. The range is from 190*F to 210*F, depending on time of year and engine cooling needs. It's fine in the winter for heat, too.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
FWIW, here are numbers for that computer-controlled thermostat to raise your eyebrows over:

221ºF = thermostat 'starts' to open.
243ºF = thermostat 'fully' open.

Source: GM-to-EPA Application for Certification document.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have seen recounts on the DIC from 199 to 227 degrees. The lower temps were in the summer, so the system is somehow able to lower it when it is hotter outside.

Personally, I wouldn't mess with the functions controlling the cooling system unless I understand the engineering behind it. Lower temps could equate to a decrease in milage, but I'm guessing because I don't have all of the information on he design. I'll let it work as designed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was thinking about this myself... not changing the thermostat, but the temp readings on the DIC. The average temp I've seen is about 215* in 90*-100* weather, however just this morning it was about 65* temperature and the DIC reading was 220*-225*... then this afternoon the temp was 90* and the reading was 217*?

·
Registered
235 Posts
The engine was designed to run at the temp that it does. Do you have any idea how much engineering went into these engines? No offense but i'm pretty sure the engineers know better than any of us, how hot the engine should run lol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The engine was designed to run at the temp that it does. Do you have any idea how much engineering went into these engines? No offense but i'm pretty sure the engineers know better than any of us, how hot the engine should run lol.
Yes as a matter of fact I do. I am smart enough to know that a tremendous amount of engineering went into these and many other engines. I was not questioning the design, just asking a question. A lot of engineering went into designing the Hemi Engines, but they benefited from a thermostat change in that the ran cooler, cooler engines usually mean more HP. that is why they were changed and had no negative effect on the engines.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes as a matter of fact I do. I am smart enough to know that a tremendous amount of engineering went into these and many other engines. I was not questioning the design, just asking a question. A lot of engineering went into designing the Hemi Engines, but they benefited from a thermostat change in that the ran cooler, cooler engines usually mean more HP. that is why they were changed and had no negative effect on the engines.
Either way, like previously stated, it would be pretty difficult to put a colder thermostat in.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Uh, everybody seems to be forgetting that this is an "...electronically controlled..." thermostat, meaning actual coolant temperature is detected by an electronic sensor, not by a bi-metallic or pellet as in common thermostats.

Thus, buying & installing in a 'new' lower temp thermostat may NOT be a simple "drop-in" task like in the "good old days." Instead, it might require "reprogramming" of the ECU to achieve this change.

So, how's your binary/octal/hex coding (bit-twiddling) experience?

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Uh, everybody seems to be forgetting that this is an "...electronically controlled..." thermostat, meaning actual coolant temperature is detected by an electronic sensor, not by a bi-metallic or pellet as in common thermostats.

Thus, buying & installing in a 'new' lower temp thermostat may NOT be a simple "drop-in" task like in the "good old days." Instead, it might require "reprogramming" of the ECU to achieve this change.

So, how's your binary/octal/hex coding (bit-twiddling) experience?
Yup. Simple solution. You want the thermostat opened at 180? Tune it. That simple.

Recommended? Nope.

My ECT with tune typically sits around 195-200.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay so the simple answer is no, thanks for all the input. I did not realize they were electronic. Shall leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Okay so the simple answer is no, thanks for all the input. I did not realize they were electronic. Shall leave well enough alone.
Good idea :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've been noticing my coolant temp fluctuating with this cooler weather temps of 45-50. My normal drive is half 45mph/70mph. When driving 45mph coolant temp runs mid 190's and driving 70mph coolant temp runs mid 220's. Is this temp swing sound right. Im thinking this is why it is an electronic t-stat to do just this with the coolant. Any ideas why engineered this way?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
That makes sense. The turbo also requires cooling and may not be or is only barely engaged at 45, but it's going full tilt at 70. The temp range of 190 - 220 is normal for the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...ECM is adjusting the engine temperature to coincide with engine's increased "load" at higher engine speed of 70 mph. Hotter engine "generally" means better fuel efficiency, but not necessarily better power efficiency. Also, at 40 mph turbo use is light, but at 70 mph the turbo is working, not at max, but certainly more so than it was at 40 mph...especially if both are in 6th gear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts