Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Will never forget the day I was driving south on the Edens expressway toward Chicago after a heavy rain storm. Looked at the overpass and the water underneath and quickly hit the brakes.

Guy behind me was blowing his horn, giving me the finger, but shot around me to end up in four feet water. Ha, just got out of my car and laughed my butt off. Yelled out, who is the AH now!

Only regret is not having my camera.

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
Don't try that with your Cruze. :)

Was that a truck or a submarine with wheels?

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't try that with your Cruze. :)

Was that a truck or a submarine with wheels?
It had "Research" written on the side, so I guess it was modified to do that. The driver certianly didn't hesitate.

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
It had "Research" written on the side, so I guess it was modified to do that. The driver certianly didn't hesitate.
I liked the two guys in the back popping up for air.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a picture of something really rare, I have never even heard of this happening before.

View attachment 143577 This photo was taken from near the Sydney Opra House.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
We used to do that in the Hummers .. as long as the intakes remain dry and are above the water and are sealed your good to drive through water ..I am sure there are other combinations of seals to keep any water from penetrating critical operating systems that have to be kept dry .. Usually on simple combustion chambered designs it is the air intake that must be kept from the introduction of water ..

Right Danny !

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
It's raining that heavy that the rain is washing off like a waterfall?

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Administrator
25,121 Posts
That's a lot of rain.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
I think it must be coming down the road and the bridge is the low point in the road where it finally goes over the side. Otherwise, I can't see how that much water gets that high.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it must be coming down the road and the bridge is the low point in the road where it finally goes over the side. Otherwise, I can't see how that much water gets that high.
The high point is in the centre of the bridge and it was raining in bucket loads, 9inches in 24 hours. I woke up today (Thursday) to brilliant sunshine, Sydney is back to normal it seems.

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Just a little bit of info about our Harbour Bridge.

1. Sydney harbour bridge's foundations are set in 12 metres of sandstone. It has eight lanes for road traffic, two railway tracks, a foot walk and a cycle lane. The roads and railway tracks actually hang from the arch, 59 metres (194 feet)above sea level.
View attachment 143737

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
And those cargo Ships have a heck of a time navigating that particular section of your harbor . I guess there is a port master along with a few tugs and those powerful engines onboard the cargo ship working in unison to dock the cargo carrier just in front of that there Bridge awesome thing to see .. yeah those floating fortresses have to swing around and just barely touch that Bridge in order to finalize docking procedures ..

I am in Logistics I know ..

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
And those cargo Ships have a heck of a time navigating that particular section of your harbor . I guess there is a port master along with a few tugs and those powerful engines onboard the cargo ship working in unison to dock the cargo carrier just in front of that there Bridge awesome thing to see .. yeah those floating fortresses have to swing around and just barely touch that Bridge in order to finalize docking procedures ..

I am in Logistics I know ..
Cargo ships don't dock in Sydney, they go to Botany Bay for oil and containers or Wollongong and Newcastle for steel.

http://www.maplandia.com/australia/new-south-wales/botany-bay/port-botany/

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Your right Aussie ... those are cruise ships then just to the left of that picture is where those cruise ships would dock .. thank you for that clarification .. My Bad ..

·
Premium Member
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right Aussie ... those are cruise ships then just to the left of that picture is where those cruise ships would dock .. thank you for that clarification .. My Bad ..
About 3 years ago I boarded a cruise ship at that location, "Rhapsody of the Seas", a US ship and went on a 14 day cruise around New Zealand. That was my first experience of having to "tip" as part of the price, here the waiters have to be paid at least a minimum wage so it is not a normal part of dining. I did love the cruise though, especially when we were in port and I stopped feeling woosey.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Here is a photo of our Mackinac bridge.

l

I sure wouldn't want to cross it during a snow storm, an icy rain or in winds in excess of 35 mph. Its five miles long with a 200 foot clearance between the lower side of the bridge and the water. Crosses on the dividing line between Lakes Superior and Huron.

Crossed it several times in my motorhome, wow what a view, but may run into a traffic jam because some drivers will panic and come to a complete stop. For this they have a crew of drivers to take over. Ironically, this is a tollfree bridge, but wonder how long this will last.

March is the worst time, seen waves on Lake Superior 30 feet high from the shore, scary, not like ocean waves, really choppy. Not a good day for boating.

Another interesting bridge is this one.

Good idea to stay off of during a hurricane, Lake Pontchartrain Bridge 30 miles long north of New Orleans. Two buck toll isn't bad.

Course the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, good to stay off during an earthquake.

Lots of interesting places to visit in the US.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts