Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking to purchase a 2014 CTD soon. Wondering what to look for in the ways of repairs and common failures etc. I'm a mechanic myself so repairs aren't that big of a deal, up to and including the timing belt and water pump. Thanks for any input ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Welcome!

Get the VIN and go to the GM Recall website. You can learn what (if any) pending recalls the vehicle may have.

https://my.chevrolet.com/home

I bought my '14 CTD in May. While some may disagree, I found the info on CarFax to be very helpful, the VIN will be needed for that too. In my case, the CarFax showed a very clean, well-maintained vehicle which absolutely turned out to be true.

Most Gen 1 CTD issues center around the emissions system. Something to look for/ask about when looking to buy used. Lots of info here under Gen 1 Diesel forum.

Also keep in mind the CTD does NOT have a spare tire (that's where the DEF tank is). Not a deal-breaker for most but if you're like me and want one, a spare can be found on eBay for $150 or less.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-g...cussion/161002-verano-doughnut-spare-ctd.html

Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I would want a complete history of service or I wouldn't purchase. If you read older diesel threads the emission system is the main issue. Sometimes the emission issues were a defect in the system, sometimes it was caused by dealer putting wrong oil in, overfilling the oil, host of issues. Just because it was dealer serviced doesn't mean it was done correctly. I like to see carfax as well, but they don't always show everything, I traded a 14 eco and I had a 4500 insurance claim for hitting a deer, it didn't show on the carfax when I traded it in.

Reactions: Rivergoer
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.