Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, and I realize this has been discussed a lot, but it seems most of the posts are at least 2 years old. I like pretty much everything about the Cruzes I have been test driving, except the lack of power. It's weird how they brag up the Turbo when it seems to fall flat any time you punch it. However, the good folks here seem to really like the Trifecta tune, which is making up my mind for me.

Just a few quick questions:

What's the best place to order? And what's the process? Do you just get a cable and some software to download? I'm in Minneapolis, are there tuning shops here?

If you have your own cable and software, can you try out different tunes, or adjust your tune?

I'm not planning any mods other than the tune. Will this make it less likely that I'll have installation issues?

Is it easy to "detune" it if I need to bring it in for warranty work?

·
10,695 Posts
I'm new here, and I realize this has been discussed a lot, but it seems most of the posts are at least 2 years old. I like pretty much everything about the Cruzes I have been test driving, except the lack of power. It's weird how they brag up the Turbo when it seems to fall flat any time you punch it. However, the good folks here seem to really like the Trifecta tune, which is making up my mind for me.

Just a few quick questions:

What's the best place to order? And what's the process? Do you just get a cable and some software to download? I'm in Minneapolis, are there tuning shops here?

If you have your own cable and software, can you try out different tunes, or adjust your tune?

I'm not planning any mods other than the tune. Will this make it less likely that I'll have installation issues?

Is it easy to "detune" it if I need to bring it in for warranty work?
***Trifecta, WOT and possibly BNR may jump in to confirm or deny a few things I said if it's slightly off. Most of what I'm saying is from experience on consumer end.

The computer kills power when it reaches it's max tq for the stock calibrations. Once you get tuned by anyone, you literally see where the car sandbags at the meat and taters of the power band when you go back to the stock tune for service work.

*BNR or Trifecta directly, Can't go wrong on either one. It's a cable and software using windows Vista/7/8 device that has a USB or some used Apple with some sort of Windows emulator(or something like that). As for local shops, most pick Trifecta because it's simple to go back and forth from tuned to stock w/o dealership seeing it there(transparency mode if selected). They can snapshot the calibrations and send it off to see if you were tuned or not.

*As for try out different tunes, it is possible under some circumstances. If you are like us seasoned owners, we been through a few generation of tunes (SAT, PAL, and eSAT) or you keep adding mods that need tunes like injectors, or meth.

*Shouldn't have issues unless you leave the sleep setting on the laptop(or windows device). Sleep terminates the program and depending on how far you got the car won't start. You simply kick yourself for being an idiot, turn sleep off for battery powered settings and try again. Usually the program (EZFlash) returns to where it left off and you are good to go.

*Same process of tuning, select stock calibration instead of the performance tune and same rules for sleep on battery power settings.

What year trim and trans is your Cruze you are going to get? They also have Diesel tunes but I'd have to take a step back on those questions.

For gas models, you want to regap the plugs 0.027-0.028 before you even upload the tune. If not, you will have issues once you reach 3K rpms spirited driving.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your detailed answers Merc6. I'm looking at 2014 and 2015 2LT or LTZ trims. Most likely the LTZ, since I'm buying used and want to treat myself to as many amenities as possible.

Are the spark plugs hard to get at in the 1.4T engines?

·
10,695 Posts
Only thing you can screw up(considering this isn't the 1st spark plug change you done in your entire life) is the plastic spark plug cover. The front lifts up and the rear rotates back. once you figure(see) how the rear is you can also pull it off accordingly. I went in 1st time under time constraint and broke the back tab off the cover. Currently have a 2012 cover on my 2013, only a few cosmetic differences on the underside but fits the same if you need to source one out.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I have a 2014 cruze 2LT and was wanting info on a tune, not wanting a race car but i want it to run as smooth as possible at 17k miles

My car oil temp gauge always stays a notch below the middle, never right in the middle, should i take it to the dealer and ask them if they can gap the spark plugs how i want them?

·
10,695 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I have a 2014 cruze 2LT and was wanting info on a tune, not wanting a race car but i want it to run as smooth as possible at 17k miles
Trifecta tunes aren't exactly on the "wild" side, you and your passengers defiantly will notice a difference over stock on a 1.4T. You won't think the boost kicked in, you will feel it kick in. When you really want to feel like it's going fast, roll the windows down so the wind hits you and your passengers face and eyes. I haven't driven a 1.8 tuned so I can't speculate on that at all.

My car oil temp gauge always stays a notch below the middle, never right in the middle, should i take it to the dealer and ask them if they can gap the spark plugs how i want them?

Sounds like coolant temp, not oil and you are fine. The temp needle doesn't go to the middle even in the summer. Winter time for us up north, it won't even make it to the 2 mark at times. I accidentally left my car running, heat off, Amsoil dominator additive and all for about 40 minutes and it only moved 1 mark. You literally need to drive the car to get it up to temp. The cooling system was seriously over engineered just short of the water pump.
Answers in red above.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts