Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm thinking of adjusting the waste gate to try and get just a little more boost from the turbo. I'm not looking to get 40 psi boost or anything crazy just a slight increase over the stock setting. Has anyone done this and would it be worth the effort or should I leave it alone? Currently running premium fuel with octane booster added in.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
First, your engine is rated to run 91 octane. Higher octane is highly unlikely to help so you can save some money by stopping the octane booster. Second, the Cruze is a torque managed engine. The ECU commands the turbo boost to meet the torque requirements needed to respond to the throttle. The stock settings are good to well over 10,000 ft above sea level.

If you want more power from your engine consider a performance tune.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Everything on the engine is run by computer. If you attempt to make mechanical changes without bringing the computer in on your plans, it will set a code. I think you can accomplish what you want by getting a tune.

Reactions: Merc6

·
10,712 Posts
Thanks guys I was trying to avoid a tune because they are not cheap
Back in the Skittle SRT 4 days you could manually twist the WGAA or do the Home Depot bleeder valve mod to makeshift a manual boost controller for cheap. In today's turbocharged world there is way too many safeties in place to smack you when you try to change stuff mechanically. This car is computerized to the point there is even a solenoid in the bypass valve line. Full bolt ons and no tune the car will be slower than off the showroom floor from trying to fight the mods you did to it.

Save up and research what tune to get as buying a random Super Chips/Banks/Diablo/Bully Dog handheld is gonna be a waste when you still need to dig in your pocket again to pay someone to "Safely Tune" the car with it. If BNR is the route you choose and handheld price included is the #1 roadblock, ask him if he has someone local to you. That way they can schedule a time though that local for you and BNR to be in sync between base tune and revisions all in 1 morning or afternoon and then you go on your merry way tuned w/o handheld. Back in the day when I 1st joined you had to rent the cable to tune so doing what I said isn't much different besides you aren't forced to put a deposit on the cable and then ship it back to get your money back for it.

TL;DR? Save up and research what tune to get. Nothing that plugs into a MAF sensor or drive by wire is gonna give you what you need to tune. The ECU must be re flashed by a person who has knowledge of this platform. A buddy that kinda is good with Subaru's and RomRadier is not the guy for this task. Save up Save up Save up. Do it right the 1st time or find out how much it cost to engine swap another 1.4 engine in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just get the trifecta tune $300 it definitely makes a difference.you will get about 18lbs of boost I believe stock is around 12to 14.it also helps with throttle response but I also installed the pedal commander on my car.it made a huge throttle response difference.

·
10,712 Posts
Just get the trifecta tune $300 it definitely makes a difference.you will get about 18lbs of boost I believe stock is around 12to 14.it also helps with throttle response but I also installed the pedal commander on my car.it made a huge throttle response difference.
Not knocking your list, the price of that tune and pedal commander is in the BNR range. Just out of curiosity, does Trifecta know you are using the commander when you sent the logs back?

As for Trifecta, there is more to their tune than just upping the boost. This topic started off of simply just upping the boost w/o fuel and the other parameters needed with our ECU and torque management.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think so I asked them about it and they said not to use it but me being me and wanting to try it out anyway I did and it is awesome.itis customizable i had a new corolla s wanted to race the other day and I beat him

·
Registered
33 Posts
[QUOTE = "Tmiller39, message: 2917850, membre: 241522"]
Just get the $ 300 trifecta, it really makes a difference; you will get about 18 lbs of boost, I think the stock is around 12-14, that also helps with throttle response, but i also installed the bottom bracket on my car. it made a huge difference throttle response.
2012 turbo cruze 22 lbs mode manuel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.