Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm considering buying a 2014 Cruze LS with only about 28k miles. The car looks and runs great, but upon further inspection, I noticed a small leak to the right of the engine, under what I think it's the coolant hose. It is not a very big leak, as it only accumulates in the area, not enough to drip to the bottom. Looks like oil to me, but I'm not sure oil can leak from that area. Anyway, any one has any idea what it could be? I'm attaching a picture.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I might suggest that you zoom out so that we get a reference of where this is on the car. I'm not a 1.8L expert, but I know they do have an oil cooler heat exchanger similar to the 1.4L. This is a metal heat exchanger where coolant runs on one side of the metal, and oil on the other.

This is one of the better OEM parts catalogs in the public domain.

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....395&ukey_driveLine=11475&ukey_trimLevel=25212

I think your going to have to dig around and find out what that pipe is part of. The large one is clearly the engine coolant, but the small pipe below it could be your issue.

Based on the drawing that I posted, and what limited knowledge I have of the 1.8L engine. That might be the thermostat. The thermostat on the 1.8L has been redesigned with metal where some of the initial housing was plastic.

This might be your problem.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of curiosity I took a look.

I'm posting this to help others as well. Typically I don't go to this level of digging. People with questions have to take the initiative to take information and dig a little as well.

Looks like coolant feed into the oil heat exchanger. It's coolant leaking. Several gaskets in there.
Thank you so much. You're right. I read your previous post and also did some digging myself on YouTube and turns out it is indeed the thermostat housing. That part itself is about $110 dlls, plus labor. I know it's probably not that hard of a fix, but I'm not sure if buying a car with issues already is a wise decision.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
This part is available on Rockauto for less than that, and maybe it's just an o-ring between the connections and the actual thermostat is ok. You don't know until you dig into it.

A 2014 is 4 years old. If your willing to tackle repairs like this by yourself and the price is right for the car I'd consider it.

The cruze does run very hot for efficiency and has a lot of things like oil coolers on them. This leads to a lot of gaskets. Gaskets that are only $5-$10 but do require parts to be ordered, as your local store won't have them. And could get expensive depending on your relationship with a shop and their rates.

Obtaining parts locally for these Cruze engines are extremely expensive and a lot of local parts shops end up having to order the parts in anyway.

$45 for a thermostat isn't that bad. With these fuel efficient European designed engines, gone are the days of a standard $3 wax pellet thermostat.

These cars use a wax pellet combined with a heating element to computer control the opening of the thermostat by heating the coolant near the wax pellet with an electrical heater.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog....8l+l4,3022055,cooling+system,thermostat,2200

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I have had that connection apart twice on my brothers 1.8.

There is an Oring on that metal pipe and the original leaked when I put it back together the first time, as the new thermostat housing did not come with it. I ended up using some silicone to seal it up as there was nothing open to get a new one.

The second time I had that housing Off his car I took the housing and the old oring to the local hardware store and matched one up to replace it with as I couldn’t seem to find anyone who had a listing for it.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,667 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

If the price is right, buy it. This forum will help with the information for repairs. If that is all that is wrong, your ahead of the game.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts