Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about a new cruze and was thinking manual trans. Pros cons? Anything real issues with these cars? Tim

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
What year Cruze you looking at? I would recommend not getting anything pre 2014. Going with a manual not sure for gen2 but for gen1 change out fluid right away. There is a thread around for which fluids to go with. OEM fluid is terrible and shears. Has caused several to need new trans. Check plug gaps right away also threads regarding that. Run 91 octane you will see a decent improvement in milage especially if your in an area that has e10 in mid grade and regular. The gas milage is great and great handling quiet ride. Easy to do your own regular mantainance such as oil change and spark plugs. That's about all I have for ya. I'm sure someone else can write something more eloquent.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I absolutely adore my 2014 1LT 1.4 turbo 6-speed manual. The stock trans fluid is known to be pretty thin and usually underfilled from the factory, I'd definitely recommend changing the trans fluid with 2.4 quarts of amsoil synchromesh or amsoil 75w-90. Otherwise the synchros cut right through the stock fluid especially from 1-2 and may grind under hard acceleration.

Other than that, the gearbox is kind of notchy, but numb at the same time, it's not meant for performance, it's meant for fuel mileage. The clutch and gearbox are both pretty forgiving, but they offer no feedback since the clutch feels like air and the shifter has cable linkages.

I would absolutely buy my Cruze again, with the manual for sure.

Note: This information applies to gen 1 Cruzes, so it may not be worth much if you're looking at a brand new 2017, but from what I hear, the gen 2 is only better than gen 1 in every measurable aspect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All I can say is we've had our manual '17 Hatch LT for a few days and dig it more every day. Only design flaw is the chrome trim around the farthest out vents reflect too much in the windows when your trying to use the side mirrors. Pretty dang minor. Likes to shift high, especially 1-2, to keep momentum. Don't see any need to up the power, although love the options found on this board. Pulls strong and really easy to speed. Great mileage in the first 500 miles and I don't expect that to change. Very pleased. Do it!

·
2,170 Posts
I have to echo what 14'ecocruze and chevrasaki said above exceptin my 2014 looks better than a 17!:th_SmlyROFL:
I have to agree our 14s look better than the 17s
I don't know if I'm just biased or not, but I absolutely agree. I think the gen 1 looks unique. It has charisma, it is bold. The gen 2 is conservative, it's boring, it looks like a Civic or an Elantra to my eyes. The gen 2 blends in, and the gen 1 stands out in my opinion. Who ever reads this may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with most of the other comments. I have a 14 LT manual. Gets 42 mpg with reasonable driving. Even hammering it pretty good it drops to about 36 or so. I have 48K on mine in 3.5 years and it has not failed ever. Just oil and filter changes by the book. Manual trans lube changed at 30K with Amzoil.

I have driven Auto trans Cruzes (rent them on trips when I can find them) but mileage is less and they feel a little numb compared to 6M.

I have owned about every thing in my 48 plus years of driving and the Cruze for the money in purchase, fuel and other cost cant be beat as far as I am concerned.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Only car I liked about as much was my Saturn but that was more of a sporty clutch and was a lot lighter car I believe close to 900lbs. Plus I'm kinda old School and prefer crank windows. Been a long time since I had that car but I feel like the ride wasn't nearly as quiet. Gas milage made it in the 40s a few times even though I was only 19 so probably could have pushed 50 hypermiling. I would buy my Cruze 10x over. Sure beats my Monte Carlo lol

·
2,170 Posts
Only car I liked about as much was my Saturn but that was more of a sporty clutch and was a lot lighter car I believe close to 900lbs. Plus I'm kinda old School and prefer crank windows. Been a long time since I had that car but I feel like the ride wasn't nearly as quiet. Gas milage made it in the 40s a few times even though I was only 19 so probably could have pushed 50 hypermiling. I would buy my Cruze 10x over. Sure beats my Monte Carlo lol

Yeah I really miss Saturn, I loved that orange interior. Which Saturn did you own?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I actually don't miss my Gen 1 at all. I was glad to see it go...one of the cars I actually somewhat regret buying (the reliability issues may have had something to do with that) :D. It was slow, but it got excellent MPG.

Now, the Gen 2...:iloveyou:

OP, if you're looking for Gen 1, buy 2014+, and I would recommend a LT over an Eco if you're not doing a lot of highway driving (the Eco has 3 overdrive ratios and very tall gearing). The M32 transmissions have occasional bearing issues, and the 1.4T's commonly have PCV system and water pump issues.

If you're looking for Gen 2, the manual is...numb. Very numb. Same gearing as the Gen 1 Eco. Otherwise, we haven't seen too many reliability issues yet, but they're still quite new.

·
2,170 Posts
I actually don't miss my Gen 1 at all. I was glad to see it go...one of the cars I actually somewhat regret buying (the reliability issues may have had something to do with that) :D. It was slow, but it got excellent MPG.

OP, if you're looking for Gen 1, buy 2014+, and I would recommend a LT over an Eco if you're not doing a lot of highway driving (the Eco has 3 overdrive ratios and very tall gearing). The M32 transmissions have occasional bearing issues, and the 1.4T's commonly have PCV system and water pump issues.

If you're looking for Gen 2, the manual is...numb. Very numb. Same gearing as the Gen 1 Eco. Otherwise, we haven't seen too many reliability issues yet, but they're still quite new.

The reliability may have been due to the model year, as mentioned above it seems the 2011-2013 models had quite a few problems. I've got 41K miles on my Cruze now completely trouble free, and they were quite harsh miles. I disagree with the other aspects of the vehicle, I believe it does great at what it was meant for, getting people and things around cheaply and stylishly.

Reactions: Rivergoer and Merc6

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Yeah I really miss Saturn, I loved that orange interior. Which Saturn did you own?
2001 SL if I remember right. Even driving like a kid I consistently posted 36+ mpg. I think my highest was 44 basically all highway. That matches or beats my Cruze going the 72+ mph I did back then for highway. That trans was lovely though. The Cruze you have to coax a bit more to get responsiveness out of it. Maybe a 5 speed would have been better for the Cruze...or get rid of the extra weight. Should be around 2600lbs if you ask me. Take away my spare for what 30 lbs and leave 400 lbs of crap I don't need. Like the fancy radio entertainment system. I hate it waste of space and even turned down all the way puts off too much light at night for me. I put my phone over the top of it with torque running. Don't use radio much I like listening to my car. Put this motor in the Saturn with the Saturn trans and i bet 50 mpg highway easily. Especially if you added the grill block and wheel spats. I'll take crank windows and having a spare haha

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
2001 SL if I remember right. Even driving like a kid I consistently posted 36+ mpg. I think my highest was 44 basically all highway. That matches or beats my Cruze going the 72+ mph I did back then for highway. That trans was lovely though. The Cruze you have to coax a bit more to get responsiveness out of it. Maybe a 5 speed would have been better for the Cruze...or get rid of the extra weight. Should be around 2600lbs if you ask me. Take away my spare for what 30 lbs and leave 400 lbs of crap I don't need. Like the fancy radio entertainment system. I hate it waste of space and even turned down all the way puts off too much light at night for me. I put my phone over the top of it with torque running. Don't use radio much I like listening to my car. Put this motor in the Saturn with the Saturn trans and i bet 50 mpg highway easily. Especially if you added the grill block and wheel spats. I'll take crank windows and having a spare haha
Weight makes a huge difference in how a car feels to drive, especially those with low HP numbers. My 98 HP Honda weighed 2500 lbs and reminded me very much of the '12 Cruze in terms of power. The gear ratios between the 1LT (2 OD and more closely spaced) and Eco (3 OD, tall ratios 2-6) make the LT a little more responsive to run through the gears.

The Saturn 1.9L engines also burned pretty lean. Emissions standards these days prohibit manufacturers from running that kind of mixture due to the amount of NOx a lean burn produces.

·
10,712 Posts
I was thinking about a new cruze and was thinking manual trans. Pros cons? Anything real issues with these cars? Tim
There was a few recalls here and there but they pretty much are on top of it last I checked. Lots of people see a recall as a horrible thing but in reality a company saying we had a defect and wish to fix it vs pretend "it a the nature of the car, deal with it"

For me my gen 1 manual was semi fun but not immune to the problems that lead to it being replaced. Hopefully Gen 2 they got it right reliability and flied level wise. I never drove the Gen 2 manual as the dealership here refuses to order one. By the time they did it was a L Cruze. Going from an Eco to and L was too huge of a downgrade and I wanted manual with leather. At that point I looked on to other cars and ended up elsewhere. I'm not completely out of the running as this car I have is leased. I'll see what there is to offer after that.

Sorry this has steered away from the OPs original post a bit my apologies. Maybe there should be a thread of how we should design a gen 3 Cruze. Unless u have that already JB

Yeah, in need of it and hope they read it. I assume they semi looked into here as they released a Redline Cruze.

I semi miss the paint. This paint here is is so horrible to the point it looks like the Cruze did in 2 years. Didn't help the dealership swirls every car on the lot they touch. I was 100% against the gen 2 look but the RS package looks better and better the more I see it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts