Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And going back to the Dr and getting a 2nd opinion about what to do with it. I can move it but there are some limitations to it and some pain. I went to 1 Dr and he said I need a completely new shoulder. Well I want a 2nd opinion about that. I can move it and do most things but doing somethings like using an ATM are a little painful and I know I can't do pull ups(besides the fact I weigh too much) and "lat pulls" are out of the question.????? IDK bc I am not getting any younger and it won't be any easier later. Who knows maybe just some therapy or minor surgery????

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
Combien ca coute?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
If you're worried about it, then by all means get a 2nd look. I pulled my right shoulder out just reaching to empty the grass bag from the mower. It has gotten better, but sitting a desk and moving the mouse, causes some pain. At 68, I know I heal slower and some non-weight bearing exercises have been helping. It's taken two months so far. Took a doctor visit and a referral to therapy to get things on the mend.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What have they done to study the problem? X-rays? MRI? If not, then I don't think they know what's going on.
That's a loaded question! Yes I had an MRI done a couple of weeks ago and the Dr that did it is not the one that did the initial surgery and is used to dealing with injured "sports people" that want it fixed now!!! When responding to the therapy question, he said you will run out of therapy for this year and you will need that after you get your surgery done. IMO more or less why bother and we need a piece of that insurance procedure action. He told me the "real purpose to surgery is not to correct the problem but to alleviate pain, that is after describing as totally destroyed and in need of replacing. So if it isn't painful don't worry about it esp after I told him I know I have some limitations to it. All I know is after certain exercises with light weight it feels better.

To answer Tomko's question: at most $2500 my annual deductible. When I had the first procedure done, my deductible was already paid so it was "free"(my insurance covered 100 %)

All in all I need a 2nd opinion.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Right shoulder was sure broken up after that so-called accident, couldn't even raise my right arm for a couple of years. Had that rotator cuff thing done and insisted they do it without pain killers, also MRI's, hate those being tied up in a narrow tube where I am helpless in getting myself out. Also a nuclear scan, another torture session.

Feel therapy is nothing short of a bad joke, left leg was all smashed up, would go there and have two steps to go up and down to, at home, have 28 steps. Didn't do much with my shoulder, I have a strong iron pipe in my basement, took my left hand to get my right arm up there, but I grabbed that pipe and hung from it, hurt like ****, but was told in the military I was tough, Doing this for several weeks, I could finally raise my right arm, working pretty good now.

Also diet, my wife got on me to count calories and protein, need that protein to rebuild cells. Started looking at nutritional facts, 90% of what you see on grocery shelves is pure crap.

I thought all those therapy sessions was covered by my health and auto insurance, at court, both sent a group of attorneys to get all that money back off my claim. When they got done, wasn't enough money to buy a cup of coffee. Would have skipped all that therapy if I knew this.

Your body is like your vehicle, LOL, if you want it done right, have to DIY. At 76, still can hit 350 ft lbs on my torque wrench. And you have to be lean and mean.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Surgery should always be last resort. I'm a month out from my 4th surgery in 18 months, 2nd this year. If I have learned anything over this time its you will never be 100% normal again, you will have a new normal.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Surgery should always be last resort. I'm a month out from my 4th surgery in 18 months, 2nd this year. If I have learned anything over this time its you will never be 100% normal again, you will have a new normal.
Yea I know. I don't really want to do surgery. I prefer to try therapy first and see if that helps it. I know I told the other Dr that wants to replace my shoulder that I know I will have limitations but this morning it was really bothering me while trying to steer my car with my left hand. The other Dr did not like the fact that I can accept a new norm for me. As I said he is in the business of working with major sports figures that spend their time in rehab and joint replacement and I for one don't have the time or the money to do that. Hopefully appointnemnt at 11:30 nets a resolution that I can live with.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Hey Patman, what is the cause of your problem? Accident? Or should we even be discussing this due to this medical privacy act. Ha, can't even find how much we owe our so-called provider, screwer is a better name to find out how much my wife's bill is unless I have her permission.

Was told in court by witnesses that my right shoulder hit that kids left windshield pilliar smashing his windshield, but this only slowed me down, still went another 30 feet before I hit the pavement. Then told my shoulder blade had a crack in it, but will mend itself. The major damage was torn ligaments that don't heal, so in therapy, had to develop my muscles to augment that attachment.

Also was told lucky to be alive, but questioned this at times, least I am still around to pester you.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Patman, what is the cause of your problem? Accident? Or should we even be discussing this due to this medical privacy act. Ha, can't even find how much we owe our so-called provider, screwer is a better name to find out how much my wife's bill is unless I have her permission.

Was told in court by witnesses that my right shoulder hit that kids left windshield pilliar smashing his windshield, but this only slowed me down, still went another 30 feet before I hit the pavement. Then told my shoulder blade had a crack in it, but will mend itself. The major damage was torn ligaments that don't heal, so in therapy, had to develop my muscles to augment that attachment.

Also was told lucky to be alive, but questioned this at times, least I am still around to pester you.

I found out myself today what happened. I remember bits and pieces of it but did not "correlate" them as being the cause of breakage. What I heard, I was sleepwalking, walked out of my bedroom, tripped over a lamp and fell causing it to dislocate and break. I am sure after 911 was called, the reason for walking out of the bedroom was addressed and shoulder was not even looked at.

Wasn't for weeks later that I noticed or started feeling effect to my left shoulder as I am dominantly right handed anyway and it did not hurt. Ergo I am taking seizure medicine now(that has its own side effects)

Now I know when I do certain activities, like leaning forward to pick something up, it will get "out of sorts" and feel like it is dislocating again. I was hoping building up the muscle around it would stabilize it but it is difficult to do exercises to accomplish that activity. I am still unable to move it to various directions. Yesterday I was unable to hold a lamp shade over head with my left while loosening with my right and I cannot make and "L" shaped motion with my left(required to do like on a Pec Dec machine) I am not sure as to what is restricting the motion(bone fragments?) but it gets limiting at times even though it really does not hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
I found out myself today what happened.
Now I know when I do certain activities, like leaning forward to pick something up, it will get "out of sorts" and feel like it is dislocating again. I was hoping building up the muscle around it would stabilize it but it is difficult to do exercises to accomplish that activity. I am still unable to move it to various directions. Yesterday I was unable to hold a lamp shade over head with my left while loosening with my right and I cannot make and "L" shaped motion with my left(required to do like on a Pec Dec machine) I am not sure as to what is restricting the motion(bone fragments?) but it gets limiting at times even though it really does not hurt.
No pain is a good sign. Loss of Range of Motion (ROM) isn't. Sounds like Crepitus and not much can be done. Where I was wearing my seatbelt during my Semi crash, my shoulders now click and will for the rest of my life. I do get 92 therapy visits a year and have a great DC/Physiotherapist, but all the therapy in the world wont help. Try doing door exercises, put your arms against the side of a door and push forward like a pushup. This should relieve shoulder pressure and make them pop.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No pain is a good sign. Loss of Range of Motion (ROM) isn't. Sounds like Crepitus and not much can be done. Where I was wearing my seatbelt during my Semi crash, my shoulders now click and will for the rest of my life. I do get 92 therapy visits a year and have a great DC/Physiotherapist, but all the therapy in the world wont help. Try doing door exercises, put your arms against the side of a door and push forward like a pushup. This should relieve shoulder pressure and make them pop.
First dr talked about how it there is apparent Arthritis and lacking cushion between bones. I have thought about doing the exercise you are referring to with the door. Just never seem to get to doing it. As someone else mentioned, I look to the fact this is my new reality and adjust my life to it instead of making big changes to correct. That is why I want to get the 2nd and find out and make a change if possible even if it means surgery to fix. But prefer not to do the surgery.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Be very careful when you think Surgery. I am dealing now with degenerative arthritis and it is worse than I thought it could be.. I didn't have these problems before the SEMI battered me around. Next month I have mediation scheduled with an Insurance company, they want to talk. In the mean time I have a Neurosurgeon who wants to cut me open yet not touch my shoulders, boy they hurt. I had a Neurologist tell me he would never let anyone operate on his back, I did not like him although his advice might be solid. Try the door exercise, just carried 10 $1.99 24 packs of Safeway water and I'm going to do that now, you just do it once! In my state the bottle deposit costs more than $1.99. I smuggled them in from Arizona!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, seeing a doctor is like taking your car in for an oil change, some do a good job, rare, but some do. Some doctors will fix you up, others will make a mess out of you like forgetting to reinstall your drain plug.

Ha, a Catholic priest was once a good friend, told me don't pray for healing pray to find a good doctor. This doesn't work either. For my last surgery, I interviewed five doctors and didn't like what they told me. Found a woman doctor from India, she knew her stuff and did a good job.

But this was before this super high deductible, they charge like crazy whether you agree or disagree with them. Just can't get a consultation or quote if you may like you can do almost anywhere else, even with a crooked attorney.

Just getting a lot more complicated to find somebody you can trust with your life. Really questioned a poor surgery so went to a different provider I had to pay cash for. Got my medical records and told me the same thing, suspect these bastards are protecting their brotherhood.

No such thing as good luck, really have to investigate.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just getting a lot more complicated to find somebody you can trust with your life. Really questioned a poor surgery so went to a different provider I had to pay cash for. Got my medical records and told me the same thing, suspect these bastards are protecting their brotherhood.

No such thing as good luck, really have to investigate.
First Dr wasn't going to do the surgery, he would refer me to someone else. I thought oh he needs a new car. eh you like yours so...

I have an appt with the Dr now that did my cousin's shoulder surgery to see what he says..... Cousin said he did a good job so. and has a better "resume" than a bunch of kids and overpaid atheletes... More so he is from a different medical group than the first one I talked to. Now just waiting for my MRIs and other records. I will let you know in a few weeks.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Don't care to recommend a vehicle, doctor, or an attorney to a friend for this matter, what was good for me was bad for them. Ha, met a friend I haven't seen in 12 years, asked me about buying a Jeep, said with the problems Chrysler is having, wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Finally ran across him a week ago, still driving that Jeep.

First MRI I had was around an 18" hole 12 foot deep with a worm drive that I was really jammed into. Guess who is claustrophobic now that was never this way before. Did a net search, Green Bay Packers have one with a three foot hole only two feet deep. Also mention repairs they are doing to the Packers to one doctor, said they are making millions of dollars per year, you are not a Packer.

Maybe finding a good doctor, attorney, or a vehicle is nothing more than pure luck. Ha, same thing applies to finding a good mate. Are you feeling lucky?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts