Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just wanted to take a quick moment to tell everyone about BNR tuning, I have said it time and time again on the Facebook page but it has been brought to my attention that not everyone on the forums is on the Facebook page. So I decided to bring my thoughts here, because honestly not enough nice things can be said about Jerry and his amazing tune. Or even about the whole site in general. Everything you need for the Cruze is on that site, if they don't have it they will get it for you. Simple as that.

First thing I always hear is why is it so much more? That's because your buying a service, your buying a man reading your car, tuning and communicating with you. You're not buying some cookie cutter tune by some company that doesn't care about you and just wants your money (Trifecta). I have been talking with Jerry for about two weeks now via email, he answers every question I have and even though he is backed up he still delivers an update in a timely fashion. He reads your car and changes parameters for your specific car. Upgrade your car? Data log and send it in, he'll update. FREE OF CHARGE! Other companies charge $50 minimum to re tune, if they even get back to you.

Next, does it actually make power? Well, lets put it this way, when my car was un tuned and I drove.. Lets say "spirited" my wife said it was fun, Now that I'm tuned? "I'm a crazy ass b*stard and I deserve every d*mn ticket I get." I had a 14, 1.8L and went into a 16 1.4T and I thought can it get much better than this? I was so happy with the power difference, (both manual BTW) But everyone kept telling me to get tuned, and I figured I did want to push this car to it's limits, so I pulled the trigger. From the second I put the base tune in all I could think was "holy crap why doesn't it come like this from factory!" and with each update it get's better and better, I can't stop smiling when I drive my car, I love when the local "car enthusiasts" laugh at me because I drive an "under powered boat" and I blow them away.. Civic drivers right? Will your gas mileage go down? Yes, but not directly because of the tune, because you will have so much fun driving your car that it will be pedal to the floor all the time. When you do actually take the foot off and drive like a normal driver it will go up, I am able to get up to highway speed (or higher) in the same amount of approach but shifting at lower RPM's and saving me in fuel.

I honestly can't express how much this is worth every single penny and so much more, I really can go on forever about this tune and how amazing it is, for those wondering, I only have a KN drop in filter, intake res delete and muffler delete, other than that I am completly stock when it comes to performance mods...For now. Honestly being Canadian and with our low dollar I ended up paying around $750 for this and I still don't regret it in the least. Don't waste your time or your money by looking around for other tunes or tuners, save yourself the hassle, the stress and buy BAD NEWS RACING.

Feel free to leave any questions you may have and I will try and answer them ASAP.

Cam,

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the review!

I just wish they had a dealer to install this in Texas, as I am not car savvy at all.
Honestly it's the easiest thing to do to your car, the handheld that comes with the purchase is super easy to understand. You simply plug it in, press one button and it does the rest. Then countdowns from 25 and your done! There's lots of videos on you tube with how to do it. If not one of the members or Jerry himself can walk you through it. It's very simple and maybe a ten minute task.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You guys are definitely right about the ease of installation. The K&N cold air intake was harder to install than the tunes. I have received 2 tunes from Jerry so far and I'm waiting for the third with an update for the ZZP downpipe I installed. I have noticed a great difference in performance and even my wife has been enjoying the extra "zip". If you are going to get the tune I would suggest upgrading your brakes as well because the increase in power is just too much for the stock brakes IMO. I asked the master tech from the dealership I work at to drive the car and he was very impressed. He specifically noted that the car pulls all the way through the rpm band instead of falling flat on its face. Get the BNR tune, you'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
im ordering in the next 2 weeks or so excited about the BNR tune. Did you end up getting the handheld auto cal ? and i wanted to upgrade to #42 bosch injectors or did you end up running stock?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ordered mine online last week... Can't wait to install it. Is there a recommended spark plug gap with tuner? Iv'e read that anything above .28 will get blo out on another tuner. Then read that lot's of folks gap them at .34-.35 without issue's. Just trying to get a direct answer for a stock car other than the tune I install once I get it.
Thanks,

·
Vendor
979 Posts
.028 is where you want to be with a tune

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what I understand the 42lb injectors are too large for daily driving and will reduce your gas mileage. I have stock injectors and they do just fine.

For plugs I'd go with the NGK 4644 gapped to .028. Make sure you don't over tighten them. Hand tighten until you get to the gasket and then give them just over a quarter turn. Those plugs offer the best performance for the 1.4 from my experience.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im ordering in the next 2 weeks or so excited about the BNR tune. Did you end up getting the handheld auto cal ? and i wanted to upgrade to #42 bosch injectors or did you end up running stock?
It's recommend to run bigger injectors, you can run stock fine but the tune pushes them to the max causing poor atomization. Which means your not fully burning the fuel and getting a proper combustion. Increasing emissions and other stuff. You can run stock and never have a problem but why would you not want more power? Lol
I have stock and I ordered #42 and will upgrade to #52 when I get a bigger turbo or by then #60 I heard will be out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are definitely right about the ease of installation. The K&N cold air intake was harder to install than the tunes. I have received 2 tunes from Jerry so far and I'm waiting for the third with an update for the ZZP downpipe I installed. I have noticed a great difference in performance and even my wife has been enjoying the extra "zip". If you are going to get the tune I would suggest upgrading your brakes as well because the increase in power is just too much for the stock brakes IMO. I asked the master tech from the dealership I work at to drive the car and he was very impressed. He specifically noted that the car pulls all the way through the rpm band instead of falling flat on its face. Get the BNR tune, you'll be glad you did.

Are you talking about better pads and rotors or like a big brake kit?

·
Registered
41 Posts

Are you talking about better pads and rotors or like a big brake kit?
I changed from ebc stage 1 to Hawk Sector 27 drilled & slotted rotors with hps 5.0 pads. I don't know if the big brake kit is necessary but the high performance pads/rotors are well worth it and you can get them for under $200 if you shop at the right place.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I changed from ebc stage 1 to Hawk Sector 27 drilled & slotted rotors with hps 5.0 pads. I don't know if the big brake kit is necessary but the high performance pads/rotors are well worth it and you can get them for under $200 if you shop at the right place.

Oh okay, ya the big brake kit is not necessary but it is ALWAYS recommended upgrading brakes when pushing more performance out of the car. Again not entirely necessary unless you take it to the track or drive extremely aggressive all the time. For me when it's time to replace I will be upgrading.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How would you say this tune compares to the non-customized trifecta tune in terms of performance and drivability on a 2014 1.4T manual? Also I already have the trifecta tune on my car and the cable that came with it, would I need to purchase another cable or just pay for the tune itself?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How would you say this tune compares to the non-customized trifecta tune in terms of performance and drivability on a 2014 1.4T manual? Also I already have the trifecta tune on my car and the cable that came with it, would I need to purchase another cable or just pay for the tune itself?
I've never had Trifecta in my car or have I driven one with trifecta but I have heard nothing but bad things about them, especially in customer care. I've honestly heard horror stories, as for a performance difference there are videos that members have posted with two Cruzes and same mods with the BNR blowing the Trifecta tune away. I believe you would have to buy the EFIlive tuner as well as the tune. I also believe Jerry can tune from Diablo tuner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts