Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all! I've been bouncing all over your forum and have to say it's one of the better ones I've seen so first of all :eusa_clap:!

I'm currently in the search for a new vehicle and am seriously considering a 2013 Cruze - PERHAPS if the price is right a 2014. I'm looking for pros/cons, if someone could tell me the differences between the LT/1LT/2LT/LTZ (I know the LS is the base model - just drove a 2013 earlier and loved how quiet it was). I'm giving up my Jeep Grand Cherokee so I'm making a big switch. I live in the mountains PA, so need something that is snow & ice friendly. Any hints or suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Erica

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Do you drive a stick? Sticks give you a lot more control over the car in the snow. Also, why not the ECO or CTD trims?

Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen if ya get 1 and Best Wishes with Purchasing a cruzen !

Contents . ie the options that 1 would desire installed into the vehichle are basicly the differences .. wheels , entertainment Packages , sunroof , interior fabric choice , even body styling to name a few ...

A lot of members have opted for the eco model with a manual transmission for the best fuel efficiency ...

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I think Edmunds has a good write-up on the trim levels. Keep in mind that some features (like navigation) are not standard at any trim level. Some of the features that are standard on higher trim levels are options on the lower ones. So what it really comes down to is what features you want and if the car you're looking for has it.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Yup, definitely look into the Eco and Eco diesel. Diesel gets awesome mileage. The Eco is only good if you don't mind driving stick.

Sent from the sexy electrician

Reactions: Dvan5693

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
As far as the snow and ice concern, as long as you get dedicated snow tires for the winter you should have no problems. Seriously, I have more control with my Eco and snow tires than I did with my Subaru Legacy Wagon with All Season rubber.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As far as the snow and ice concern, as long as you get dedicated snow tires for the winter you should have no problems. Seriously, I have more control with my Eco and snow tires than I did with my Subaru Legacy Wagon with All Season rubber.
:iagree:
Nice set of winter/snow tires and the Cruze will be fine.

My only concern would be ground clearance with the extended lower air dam on the Eco. Won't take much snow is going to turn that into a snowplow.

It should be able nearly double the Grand Cherokee's mpg...unless you got one of the 11 or so CRDs back in '06. Still going to be considerably better than the GC CRD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

To Obermd - I haven't seen a CTD model used (I hate buying new cars - depreciation is just crazy and I really don't need that new car smell.) I'll have to look into that too. There's very few Eco's to be had.

Chevyguy - thanks for the link!! That's just what I was looking for but unfortunately Google sometimes gives you too many choices (but it did point me here!)

Beelzebubba - Just about anything will give me better mileage than my 2001 Grand Cherokee! My husband convinced me that I need a vehicle that can pass a gas station every so often.

Definitely will get snow tires - that's the first thing my dad taught me many moons ago! I have to say I honestly didn't know what I was actually looking for other than a car that I can get into without feeling cramped (I'm tall and hate hitting my head or knees getting into a vehicle). I need space to transport things and the trunk/split seats filled the need there.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!! Any more pros/cons out there? Please share - even other vehicles! I've been driving either SUV's for the last 25 years and am a bit lost with cars!

~E

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the slightly lower air dam on my ECO MT. The RS package rides at the same height as the ECO MT and I haven't heard of any issues with it either.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I just bought my Cruze and it was a first on a couple levels for me.

First ever new car, because like so many others I hated the idea that it depreciates immediately upon leaving the lot. However, the interest rate difference between new and used was significant, for my credit score, so it was cheaper to get brand new than slightly used. Also, a friend pointed out that if I'm keeping it for as long as I'm financing it, then who cares if the value drops $2k instantly...in 5 years it evens out.

First ever "economy car" (as a bachelor) but my Malibu (leftover car from divorce) died a miserable and expensive death so I was caught needing a car right now so didn't have finances in order for the Silverado or Camaro I was intending to get next.

Edit: Also, not knocking my dealer, but when I was test driving cars I tried an LS MT 1.8L first and enjoyed the drive but hated the lack of options (no cruise on a MY 2015 car, really?). I loved the 1LT package with the MyLink option (I can't remember what generic "convenience" package name that had) but they only had AT. I was told initially that there was no such thing as a 1LT ECO with MT. In 20 seconds I found that it did exist and we found my car (with the RS package...bonus!). So, like others have said have in mind what options you want or don't and they can find the exact build for ya, more than likely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If money is tight at first, the base model may be a better choice. Almost everything added that I received on my LTZ/RS, I've seen on ebay or can be picked up at the dealer and added later. Go for the powertrain that suits you best. The best mileage is with the diesel. More fun to drive would be with the manual but if your "growing up" like your title says, there's nothing wrong with the 6-speed auto.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thanks everyone!

To Obermd - I haven't seen a CTD model used (I hate buying new cars - depreciation is just crazy and I really don't need that new car smell.) I'll have to look into that too. There's very few Eco's to be had.
I'm in the something like the 4th largest regional market in the United States and there was exactly one used Cruze Diesel on AutoTrader.

I got my Certified Pre-Owned Eco with 25,000 miles on it for $13,900. CPO LS automatic was about a grand more. Bumper to bumper warranty for 12 months, 5/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. 36 month 0% APR financing. 2 year free scheduled maintenance. I couldn't justify buying new with that kind of offer.

I wish they sold the 5-door here. I miss my Mazda and my Integra's hatches. I saw a couple trying to load a gas grill into a Chrysler 300. It wouldn't fit in the trunk opening nor would it fit in the backseat. I started to laugh because even my Integra could have swallowed that thing up whole and then I realized that with a sedan, I now have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If money is tight at first, the base model may be a better choice. Almost everything added that I received on my LTZ/RS, I've seen on ebay or can be picked up at the dealer and added later.
I wouldn't recommend that. I think you'd end up paying more in the long run. That was a workable tactic in the old days. Find a junker and transplant the accessories. But the Cruze is so heavily computerized, any change involving electrical work is likely going to take a dealer to re-flash it. And if you end up with a combination that wasn't order-able when it was new, (like Navigation in a LS) the dealer can't do it. I'd think a 1LT would be minimum.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Any more pros/cons out there?
The '13 (and before) was designed to run on 91 octane (Premium). It won't hurt anything to run on Regular, but performance will noticeably suffer. My '13 seems happy with the mid-grade.

But the posts here suggest that the '14 got a re-tune and is completely happy with Regular gas. That's only $1-3 per fill up, but depending on how often you need gas, I could see that being $100/year difference in cost of ownership.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
A HUGE point to ponder, its already April 5, 2015. There are not going to be huge numbers of 2014's left...and the longer you wait the fewer there will be with whatever options you are hoping to find.

Foot dragging s fine early in a model years production....the 2015 have been rolling out of the factory for longer than 4 months. The longer you wait, the less chance you will have to find what you want. Then you have to wait another year in hope for any really good bargains.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Welcome :)

Will you be having kids or other riders in the back seat?

I love my Cruze but if you're looking at something with a little more room for sitting and hauling I'm going to suggest you at least compare the Malibu.

The only people who ride in mine are me and my 6yo kiddo, which works well for the 2 of us. But if one of my parents is in town and riding in the front seat (especially my dad) my kiddo has now started complaining that she feels squished in the back. So it's not exactly a roomy car :/

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Registered
660 Posts
If it makes you feel any better. MY 2014 Cruze ECO(lowered 10mm over other models) with a manual transmission plowed through 8-14 inches of fresh powder with snow tires on this past season. Literally no issue at all, people who rode in the car were amazed by the handling and control with snow tires on the Cruze. So don't let the reduced ground clearance scare you away!

Also for reference. On summer gas at 70mph I get 45-50mpg all day, depending on which way the wind is blowing haha. I recently just did a trip and on 340 miles, driving an average of 75mph....except for construction zones, I average 43.5mpg, that was with WOT throttle accelerating on the on ramps to the highway. - This is the GAS version btw. The CTD(Diesel) does even better at ease.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts