Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plugged this one in hardly used for five months yesterday, a little over two years old. Compressor started smoking, was very frustrated, another couple of hundred bucks down the drain. Out of warranty.

Just told myself, this is enough with this Made In China crap, so found the receipt and took it back to Menards, and just said, I am getting tired of this. Not expecting a refund, but leaving this thing here so you can send it back to China. Or pay the 30 bucks to get it recycled.

To my complete amazement, they said they will exchange it for a brand new one, completely redesigned. So not only left my old dehumidifier there, but walked out with a brand new one without spending single cent.

Played with it for a couple of hours writing down the performance specifications, so if this one goes bad again, will know the problem with it. Does have a high side cutoff where the old one did not. I did pay an extra 16 bucks for an extended two year warranty.

Ha, if you have a piece of crap made in China, don't dump it, try to return first.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I dislike Chinese products because of the low quality and their role in the destruction of US manufacturing. I'm amazed that a lot of new old stock US made products are available on eBay. I always shop there first. I've got 2 20 year old US made refrigerators that I will run until they drop dead before I buy Chinese. The dehumidifier was probably manufactured for about $20 so the retailer can easily replace it.

·
Administrator
25,101 Posts
My wife and I try to avoid buying anything made in China. The two posts above are just two of the reasons. We definitely won't purchase any food stuff made there and during our recent home renovation, managed to find paint, carpeting, flooring, in fact, everything made in the US.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Really disgusted with Chinese products also. Bought a KitchenAid coffee maker and the carafe leaked when you tried to pour coffee and the "glass" carafe developed a coffee stain in/on the glass. They replaced the unit and the electronics cratered in a few months. KitchenAid replaced it under warranty and the replacement lasted a month before the electronics died. Sent KitchenAid a nastygram about the poor quality Chinese made product and said I'd never buy another KitchenAid product made in China again. They sent us a new coffeemaker, but the next price level up as a replacement. Yep, it's made in China also and now after about 9 months, the brew basket is beginning to unlatch itself and swing open during the brew cycle. Guess I'll let them know and get a new machiine from them. Don't see how this is profitable for them if the cheaply made junk is breaking all the time.

If American companies started pulling their manufacturing out of China, perhaps they wouldn't be building military islands in the ocean and hacking our systems.

·
Administrator
25,101 Posts
Really disgusted with Chinese products also. Bought a KitchenAid coffee maker and the carafe leaked when you tried to pour coffee. They replaced the unit and the electronics cratered in a few months. KitchenAid replaced it under warranty and the replacement lasted a month before the electronics died. Sent KitchenAid a nastygram about the poor quality Chinese made product and said I'd never buy another KitchenAid product made in China again. They sent us a new coffeemaker, but the next price level up as a replacement. Yep, it's made in China also and now after about 9 months, the brew basket is beginning to unlatch itself and swing open during the brew cycle. Guess I'll let them know and get a new machiine from them. Don't see how this is profitable for them if the cheaply made junk is breaking all the time.
Most people don't complain so companies can get away with it.

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
Bought new Chinese/ Vietnamese Furniture for my new apartment. The Fumes contained in them (3 to 5 pounds of poisonous chemicals) has caused numerous headaches, itchy eyes, and breathing problems for close to 6 months now.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Most people don't complain so companies can get away with it.
This is me, instead I take whatever it is and smash the **** out of it and warn everyone I know to never buy that product. Then the manufacturer goes on my poop list and I won't touch it. So far the list is huge, I only can allow myself to buy Samsung tv's and LG appliances. Whirlpool is junk and Samsung couldn't make an appliance to save their lives.

Sent from the sexy electrician

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm with money-man. If a company offends me I make sure to keep at least 5 people from buying their products. Sometimes if it is the dealership, like a certain unnamed Toyota truck dealership, I limit it to that particular dealer. I'm not shy about posting about it on various forums.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Every one's favorite consumer magazine, Consumer Reports, did some articles in the July issue on American made appliances and some "reshoring" that is going on. Might be an interesting read for some here.

I know, I know, CR is not worth lining the bird cage with, etc...etc.....

I personally find CR useful. Although I might not be the sharpest tool in the toolbox, at least I'm a tool!:moon:

·
Administrator
25,101 Posts
I find CR useful for most things. Just not for cars.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have two extremes in my shopping habits: premium or crap.

For example, I do have a number of Harbor Freight tools. As long as you are careful about what you buy (if you can design it in your head and it isn't dependent on material quality, then it likely is acceptable), those tools provide a lot of value. But on the other side of the spectrum, I try to buy as quality as I can afford - not just so it will last, but the warranty is better and I could sell it on ebay if needed.

My Bondhaus Allen wrenches have saved some screws that were all but stripped, well worth the money. But all of my safety glasses come from Harbor Freight. You just need to be careful and keep that mindset in mind.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Years ago(back in the 70s)"made in Japan" was synonomus with being cheap/junk. Now it has shifted to china.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts