Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interesting Commentary from The Washignton Post, related to a monument going up to the founder of Chevrolet in his hometown in Switzerland.

By Warren Brown, Published: March 9, 2012 | Updated: Saturday, March 10, 2:09 PM

GM and Chevrolet already have something in play that could do an even better job of connecting Europe and the United States while saving fuel and reducing tailpipe pollution in the process.It is the twin-turbocharged, 2-liter in-line four-cylinder VCDi diesel engine — already installed in more than 500,000 GM cars, including 33,000 Chevrolet Cruze models, sold last year in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America.GM, convinced that Americans would not respond to diesel technology as favorably as Europeans and Asians, especially in small and midsize automobiles, has delayed bringing those models to the United States.It is a delay that has never made much sense to me....
LINK TO FULL STORY:

http://This diesel Chevy doesn’t poke along, so why does GM?

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1 answer why diesel's don't work so well stateside... EMISSIONS REGULATIONS

That has been a problem, but I think they can build cars that meet emissions now with the direct-injection technology. VW sells a couple here. I have heard that Honda doesn't sell the Diesel Jazz (aka "Fit") here only because it doesn't quite meet California emissions and they don't want to be saddled with a 49-state car. They're afraid it will damage their reputation. They're working on it,though.

· Registered
443 Posts
1 answer why diesel's don't work so well stateside... EMISSIONS REGULATIONS
Yup. Emissions regulations are so high here now that its either prohibitively expensive or the equipment required to meet the regs reduces mileage. I'm seriously wondering what mileage the diesel Cruze will get. You look at the Golf TDI and it doesn't get much better mileage than the Cruze. A coworker has a brand new one and says he averages 40 mpg. Now maybe he can do it easier with the Golf than the Cruze Eco, but still.

Diesel trucks still get better mileage than gas variants but pre-urea injection models are highly desired in the used market because not only is the mileage better, you don't have as expensive of an exhaust to maintain.

· Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 37-state car BTW... california emissions are now covered by 12 other states as well...
Yes, thanks for the correction. Force of old habit.

I see no problem with selling the car in fewer states. It all helps lower demand for fuel, and that helps out the rest of the states as well and everyone meets their desired emissions goals as set by their state legislators.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.