Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Cruze for about a year now, and overall it's fine. However, at certain temperatures/humidity levels, the outside of the windshields steams up badly. I can run the wipers, but it comes back instantly. Defroster doesn't seem to work. Anyone else experience this?

IMG_2412.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I have experienced this, but after a few mins (in the morning), it usually dissipates. Now, it has been EXTREMELY humid (90-100% the past 2 days), with temps in the upper 90s and being warm in the morning with the dew point being up there and have noticed it a little bit more, but nothing the defroster cannot handle (after a few mins of course).

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I have alsways had a problem with my inside windows fogging up during the winter. Especially the rear sides, even when the defroster is on for an hour.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Turn your defrost temperature up. You're blowing cold air on the windshield and condensation is building up on the outside. Turning the defrost temperature up will prevent this.

·
2,254 Posts
Yeah happens to me when the defroster is on A/C and cold. I turn it to hot and open up the window and that takes care of it.

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
One more note - the Cruze's dash top vents are always open, even if you're pointing the air elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
One more note - the Cruze's dash top vents are always open, even if you're pointing the air elsewhere.
They don't shut off completely, but they shouldn't leak that bad. Perhaps the flappers are out of calibration.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I see this too here in Tennessee especially in the humid summertime. We experienced it with our 2006 VW Jetta TDI, my son has it on his 2002 VW Jetta TDI and we also see it on our 2015 Cruze Diesel. To stop it we turn the defrost on with middle to high heat for a few minutes to warm the windshield then put it back to the regular face vents and resume regular cold AC... On long roadtrips we may have to do it periodically every few hours...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had my Cruze for about a year now, and overall it's fine. However, at certain temperatures/humidity levels, the outside of the windshields steams up badly. I can run the wipers, but it comes back instantly. Defroster doesn't seem to work. Anyone else experience this?

View attachment 202401
When the temperature and moisture level outside are greater than inside the car, moisture will condense on the exterior of the car glass. In this situation, the trick is to increase the temperature on the inside of the car to accumulate less moisture on the outside. Keep the following tips in mind:
For a quick fix: Use your windshield wipers. This will help get rid of the condensation until you’ve balanced out the temperature.
Warm up your car: Turn down the AC to the lowest (least-cool) setting to increase the temperature without it becoming too uncomfortable. If this doesn’t work, turn the AC off completely.
Leave recirculation off: As stated above, it’s a good idea to turn off your car’s recirculation feature to battle foggy windows, so the temperature and moisture levels in your car begin to equalize with those outside.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I have a Cruze in Australia and our summers are hot and humid on the coast where most people live. The Cruze is four years old now and with the automatic a/c set to 22C I just never have a fogging problem summer or winter. In my previous Commodore all you had to do was keep the blower off the windscreen and no problem with the manual a/c.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as hot air. The dew point is the temperature and humidity level where the air cannot hold the moisture it has anymore, and it releases it. If it is hot outside and your windshield is cold, then the dew point on the outside of the windshield changes. Maybe your AC is blowing cool air directly on the windshield. You could try placing something over the defroster vent to see if it stops. Or, as others have stated, you could heat the windshield occasionally for a few seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Yep, mine has been doing this too. I'll try a few of the suggestions here to see if it helps in the mornings on my way to work.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could suggest moving to Phoenix, AZ, very dry, or use to be, was the allergy sufferers capital of the world. But everybody that moved down there had to start growing weeds and other stuff.

Perhaps a better area would be about 30 miles east of San Diego, but if you like water for drinking, may have to dig a 1,500 foot deep well.

Sure can't recommend Louisiana now, having a bit more problems than mist on their windshields.

Made many trips to Orlando, never had any mist problems, would drive with my windows down. Was one good way to turn my blue body to flesh color coming from the subzero north. Ha, never seen so many people run from one AC cooled building to another. Back in the 50's, was no such thing as AC, well maybe at some movie theaters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts