Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Floor Jack Cross Beam

Potentially brilliant. An affordable, readily available cross beam adapter for a floor jack. I could see this being useful for lifting the front by the unibody supports, or by distributing the load better on the front subframe. For the rear, it may be of use lifting up the rear in one fell swoop also. If it can be fit in between the Eco/diesel underbody panels, that is!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Sweet find there sciphi . I would still utilize floor stands after jacking ITup in the air ..

Reactions: Merc6

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I will stick with my Douglas fir blocks, if they can handle a 450,000 locomotive, sure no problem with a 3,000 pound car. Trying to recall how old my 4 ton floor jack is. Says made in the USA on it, but still never get under a vehicle with any kind of jack.

That span on that cross bar doesn't look long enough.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is for lifting the car up, not for supporting it! Sheesh, I've never advocated working underneath a car with only a jack supporting it!

My thought was that instead of fighting for space for the jack and jackstands, sliding the jack in from the front and then lifting the whole front end up in one shot would free up the factory jack points for jackstands. Right now I need to do a bit of a dance with my jack and stands to get the car up and supported on jackstands. This should make the job go faster and safer.

As things stand, I lift the car up on the unibody supports a foot behind the pinch weld jack points anyhow. Doing both at once will be faster and more secure than lifting one side at a time and risking (even though the chances are slight) the car racking over on the jackstand when lifting the unsupported side.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Sounds like a great idea! Also thank God for jack stands!

Sent from my last surviving brain cell

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If that bar was at least five feet wide, may stand a chance. But sure don't like that center only support. Like a see-saw and if each side doesn't see an equal weight, will tip one way or the other.

Want a quicker way to get your car up on blocks? Get an extra jack, use two jacks. Either with a trusted assistant, or do several walk arounds.

Ha, always wanted a hoist in my garage. But something I wouldn't everyday, so stuck with a couple of jacks and blocks. Another problem, a garage is a junk collecting place. Ha, two of my neighbors leave their cars parked out all night, can't even drive their vehicles inside.

Always jack up near suspension points, whoever designed those rocker panel tabs, should be shot. Dealer uses those tabs with their hoists, darn good reason to change my own oil.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With two tires on the ground and jacking with the beam placed on the unibody rails, I don't see an issue with stability. At least lifting something the size of our cars.

And, trucks with solid axles get lifted by the rear differential all the time. Same issue of weight distribution. It works out fine for them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts