Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was just curious on everyone's thoughts about the Buick Envision being produced in China, and imported into the United States. I personally think its a terrible idea considering China's track record. Overall, I wonder how long it will take the Chinese to rip of GM's designs and create their own knock off products. GM is surely going to regret teaching all those workers how to essentially build their own cars in a few years. What are everyone else's thoughts? Once this vehicle is produced and then sold in the US it will seriously make me consider buying another GM car.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
China already has an automotive manufacturing industry. Car manufacturers have been building Chinese versions of their cars there for quite a few years. Other models of Buicks have been built there for some time now. Lots of brands are built and sold there. Chinese law says you can't sell a vehicle there unless it's built there. China has it's own brand, Chery, that they tried to import here, but no one would bite on the franchise offers. So, the Envision is just another step in the process. This time they will be imported to here. Can't wait to see the posts on NHTSA and related web sites when this turkey hits the streets.

As far as I'm concerned three words sum it all up and dictate where my car dollars will not go: Made In China.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Chinese law says you can't sell a vehicle there unless it's built there.
That's how China became the manufacturing powerhouse it is now - they held 1/4 of the earth's market as hostage. No capitalist could ignore that.

Of course, environmental laws and high labor costs didn't do us any favors.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Everyone thus far has been extremely impressed with the new XC90 from Volvo. Only time will tell if they can make it work for them.

Our new (2016.5) Cruze was also introduced into the Chinese market first, although our model will be assembled in Lordstown.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Overall, I wonder how long it will take the Chinese to rip of GM's designs and create their own knock off products. GM is surely going to regret teaching all those workers how to essentially build their own cars in a few years.
Domestic Chinese manufacturers already make cheap copies of many popular vehicles that are, of course, far worse.

I wouldn't be any more worried about a vehicle assembled in China than Mexico, but personally, I would avoid both. Most people don't seem to care though. Buy a car, trash it after a few years, buy another one, who cares. That is the way of things. I guess in that respect, Chinese crap makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I think it looks great.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Looks OK.

A Chinese car, built by a G.M. plant, designed by G.M., in China should stay there.
It is a massive slap in the face to every American citizen IMO.......an absolute insult from a corporation that stood at the Feds doorway, hat in hand, asking for and receiving a bailout.

Sorry, but it's gonna take about two generations after I'm pushing up daisys before China is no longer remembered as Red China.....I'm the 'Duck and Cover' generation......every time I'm forced to buy something that says 'Made in China' my skin crawls.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts