Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the delete thread and thought I'd post an idea I have as a VERY inexpensive alternative to a delete tune. It consists of 2 things:

1. The ability to do a manual regen.

2. The ability to disable the "countdown to death".

All other things being equal, this might cost a couple hundred $, and still greatly increase the reliability of these cars.

I say this as someone who's put just about 200K miles on my stock CTD, and the 2 main "leave me stranded" type of emissions problems I had centered around the DPF regen and the countdown to death.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this approach.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
How do you achieve the manual consumer regen and in your words no countdown to death? if both of those issues get solved the emission issues are not that big of deal in my view. The countdown to death is something I would guess 90% of new CTD buyers don't know of or understand. It is the one of the biggest drawbacks to a diesel car in my view. I doubt many folks buying a CTD for first time understand what a regen is either.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,972 Posts
How do you achieve the manual consumer regen and in your words no countdown to death? if both of those issues get solved the emission issues are not that big of deal in my view. The countdown to death is something I would guess 90% of new CTD buyers don't know of or understand. It is the one of the biggest drawbacks to a diesel car in my view. I doubt many folks buying a CTD for first time understand what a regen is either.
Yep! Being a gasser, I don't have a clue.

Enlighten me Grasshopper!

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Well the countdown to death has to do with an emission system that is designed if a failure of some emission sensors goes bad, it can limit your speed and distance until such time you get it to a dealer for repair. Not a good situation, especially if away from home.

The regen is basically a filter that collects soot and when it reaches a threshold level injects fuel in there and burns soot off of the inside of filter. In some cases the filter gets too much soot and car gets shut off at wrong time, start back up and it doesn't burn off the soot and it will not allow car to start again because the filter is full.

Putting it in pretty simple terms.

Not aware of gas cruzes having these type of potential issues

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,972 Posts
Well the countdown to death has to do with an emission system that is designed if a failure of some emission sensors goes bad, it can limit your speed and distance until such time you get it to a dealer for repair. Not a good situation, especially if away from home.
So the countdown can happen multiple times, assuming you have fixed the problem after it occurred each time?

The regen is basically a filter that collects soot and when it reaches a threshold level injects fuel in there and burns soot off of the inside of filter. In some cases the filter gets too much soot and car gets shut off at wrong time, start back up and it doesn't burn off the soot and it will not allow car to start again because the filter is full.

Putting it in pretty simple terms.
OK, Got it.

Not aware of gas cruzes having these type of potential issues
They do not, but I read a lot of the posts and I try to be somewhat intelligent when I answer, if I answer a post even if it has nothing to do with my particular vehicle.

Thanks for the lesson.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Yep! Being a gasser, I don't have a clue.

Enlighten me Grasshopper!
Some filters are single-use, intended for disposal and replacement once full of accumulated ash. Others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate either passively through the use of a catalyst or by active means such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures. This is accomplished by engine programming to run (when the filter is full) in a manner that elevates exhaust temperature, in conjunction with an extra fuel injector in the exhaust stream that injects fuel to react with a catalyst element to burn off accumulated soot in the DPF filter, or through other methods. This is known as "filter regeneration".

·
Registered
310 Posts
The main reasons most people do the delete are:

-The constant sensor/def tank issues

-mileage increase

-the extra power/to have fun tinkering with the car

Basically you are proposing a way to keep from having to go to the dealer for a manual regen, by doing it yourself. Unfortunately, if you have sensor or def tank issues, you're in the same boat with a cel and a repair needed. And you don't pick up the extra mileage and power from the delete.

I see how in some ways what you are saying could be useful, but it would be a very small window where it would be of any advantage. Most of us have had emissions issues, but it's not very common to have to have the dealer do a manual regen, unless it is caused by faulty emissions equipment, which would be ruled out by the delete anyway.

And deactivating the "countdown" would be basically ignoring that the emissions system isn't working correctly, now most people that so loudly oppose deleting use the reason of "being green", and having the system not working correctly is essentially the same as having a delete, but with none of the advantages.

Again I see where what you are thinking of may be of an advantage, but I don't believe it will be an alternative to a delete, as it just doesn't truly solve the issues with the emissions system. I will say, that if snipesy ever releases the ability to do manual regens with Apple products, I'll be all over it. Until I can afford to do the delete and never think about a regen again.

Sorry bout the long post

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

-mileage increase

Basically you are proposing a way to keep from having to go to the dealer for a manual regen, by doing it yourself. Unfortunately, if you have sensor or def tank issues, you're in the same boat with a cel and a repair needed. And you don't pick up the extra mileage and power from the delete.

I see how in some ways what you are saying could be useful, but it would be a very small window where it would be of any advantage. Most of us have had emissions issues, but it's not very common to have to have the dealer do a manual regen, unless it is caused by faulty emissions equipment, which would be ruled out by the delete anyway.

And deactivating the "countdown" would be basically ignoring that the emissions system isn't working correctly, now most people that so loudly oppose deleting use the reason of "being green", and having the system not working correctly is essentially the same as having a delete, but with none of the advantages.

Again I see where what you are thinking of may be of an advantage, but I don't believe it will be an alternative to a delete, as it just doesn't truly solve the issues with the emissions system. I will say, that if snipesy ever releases the ability to do manual regens with Apple products, I'll be all over it. Until I can afford to do the delete and never think about a regen again.

Sorry bout the long post
These are some really good points. The angle I was going for was to remove the most likely things to leave you stranded due to emissions issues while still having a "clean diesel". I guess it's also implied that if the "countdown to death" is eliminated, then the owner of the car would still need to fix something. They just wouldn't get stranded if they were over 297 miles from home.

·
Registered
310 Posts

-mileage increase

Sorry bout the long post
These are some really good points. The angle I was going for was to remove the most likely things to leave you stranded due to emissions issues while still having a "clean diesel". I guess it's also implied that if the "countdown to death" is eliminated, then the owner of the car would still need to fix something. They just wouldn't get stranded if they were over 297 miles from home.
Yeah not getting stranded would be nice lol. I guess even with the countdown gone, if there was a problem the check engine light would probably be on, so at least you would still know there is a problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Since Fleece has demonstrated they can tune out every emissions control on the 2.0, all without throwing a CEL, I imagine they've got the capacity to offer an "eco tune" or something that would allow you to be in control of the regen as well. Have you thought about asking a tuner to see if they could write a program like this?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

-mileage increase

Sorry bout the long post
Get a cheap unlocked Android phone, they can be had for less than $100. With snipesy app and Torque, you are well under $150, and it does both service and manual Regen. Also can read and clear CEL. It also now reads Transmission Fluid Temp. There is no reason for me to ever install my ScanGuage 2 because the snipesy app does all that and more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I was just reading the delete thread and thought I'd post an idea I have as a VERY inexpensive alternative to a delete tune. It consists of 2 things:

1. The ability to do a manual regen.

2. The ability to disable the "countdown to death".

All other things being equal, this might cost a couple hundred $, and still greatly increase the reliability of these cars.

I say this as someone who's put just about 200K miles on my stock CTD, and the 2 main "leave me stranded" type of emissions problems I had centered around the DPF regen and the countdown to death.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this approach.
That Biscan for GM plug in for Torque comes really close to what you propose. With buying and Android device, it's under $150. Assuming resetting CEL would reset countdown.. not sure haven't tried that. It does BOTH normal and service Regen on command.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
That Biscan for GM plug in for Torque comes really close to what you propose. With buying and Android device, it's under $150. Assuming resetting CEL would reset countdown.. not sure haven't tried that. It does BOTH normal and service Regen on command.

I hear ya but not interested in an android device.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Clearing codes does not touch the countdown. I can reset it but I made the decesion not to include it. I wasn't even going to include EGR control but the ECM usually disables it when driving so I included it.

It's an app for helping you view the hidden GM paramters, and doing basic servicing. It's not a substitute for a delete.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since Fleece has demonstrated they can tune out every emissions control on the 2.0, all without throwing a CEL, I imagine they've got the capacity to offer an "eco tune" or something that would allow you to be in control of the regen as well. Have you thought about asking a tuner to see if they could write a program like this?
That's not a bad idea. To me, it would be the best of both worlds.

Get a cheap unlocked Android phone, they can be had for less than $100. With snipesy app and Torque, you are well under $150, and it does both service and manual Regen. Also can read and clear CEL. It also now reads Transmission Fluid Temp. There is no reason for me to ever install my ScanGuage 2 because the snipesy app does all that and more.

Clearing codes does not touch the countdown. I can reset it but I made the decesion not to include it. I wasn't even going to include EGR control but the ECM usually disables it when driving so I included it.

It's an app for helping you view the hidden GM paramters, and doing basic servicing. It's not a substitute for a delete.
It does sound like pretty much everything is already covered except the countdown to death. I'm going to have to look into some of these options.

Thanks for all the good feedback on this. I figure this was a different twist to the delete vs. Don't delete conversation, taking both reliability AND cleanliness into account.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,068 Posts
I hear ya but not interested in an android device.
You wouldn't have to go to an Android device for your primary mobile device, or even activate it with a provider for that matter. You could get any cheap android tablet or phone, download the apps over WiFi, and use it like you would a scangauge, Edge monitor, etc. but at a quarter or half the cost, plus gain the ability to do manual re-gens.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
You wouldn't have to go to an Android device for your primary mobile device, or even activate it with a provider for that matter. You could get any cheap android tablet or phone, download the apps over WiFi, and use it like you would a scangauge, Edge monitor, etc. but at a quarter or half the cost, plus gain the ability to do manual re-gens.
After seeing my car in manual regen mode at Chevrolet dealer for recall, I hope my car never needs a manual regen again. Sitting there for an extended period of time in park at 3000 rpm isn't something I see any benefit too unless truly needed. Can't be good for the engine or the oil. I had pretty fresh oil in during regen. So I understand why Chevrolet doesn't currently offer a manual regen switch.

I have almost all Apple devices. Kinda either Apple today or Android. I guess I chose Apple.

·
Registered
310 Posts
After seeing my car in manual regen mode at Chevrolet dealer for recall, I hope my car never needs a manual regen again. Sitting there for an extended period of time in park at 3000 rpm isn't something I see any benefit too unless truly needed. Can't be good for the engine or the oil. I had pretty fresh oil in during regen. So I understand why Chevrolet doesn't currently offer a manual regen switch.

I have almost all Apple devices. Kinda either Apple today or Android. I guess I chose Apple.
Doing a manual regen isn't just for fun, if you get yourself into a situation where you need a manual regen and the car goes into limp mode, you could do it at home for free instead of having the dealership do it for like 400 dollars.

Either way, the car is going to sit there at 3000rpm, but at home it's free, at the dealer it's 3-400 dollars.

Chevrolet should absolutely have provided some way for the customer to do a manual regen, but the problem is, most American car owners wouldn't care to even learn how to do it or what it does. Most people are pretty clueless as far as automobiles these days.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Doing a manual regen isn't just for fun, if you get yourself into a situation where you need a manual regen and the car goes into limp mode, you could do it at home for free instead of having the dealership do it for like 400 dollars.

Either way, the car is going to sit there at 3000rpm, but at home it's free, at the dealer it's 3-400 dollars.

Chevrolet should absolutely have provided some way for the customer to do a manual regen, but the problem is, most American car owners wouldn't care to even learn how to do it or what it does. Most people are pretty clueless as far as automobiles these days.
I am fully aware of why a manual regen may be needed. I still stand by I can understand why for a small diesel car GM doesn't have a manual regen option. I just hope I don't need it, I have a scanguage and in theory shouldn't have the countdown to death. But one never knows. Plus nothing is for free, what is being discussed would require additional stuff, I don't have an android device or any desire to get one. If I need to have it done will take it to the dealer and get it done, not the end of the world.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Indydiesel, the 3000 rpms are exactly what they do for a park regen. When I do a park regen on my semi it will run a extended period of time at a very high rpm till it determines it's accomplished it full regen then the truck shuts down.
Been around for years, the auto industry just doesn't see he need for it which is a shame. I think it's robbery for a dealer to do it and there is no labor other than hooking a laptop to it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts