Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Products like Techron Fuel System Cleaner or any other fuel additives to clean the injectors and blah blah whatever else they advertise. A good idea once in a while for the Cruze? I am always against any type of additive really, but would it be beneficial/harmful/non-effective?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
GM recommends top tier gas for the additional fuel cleaners. It also mentions in the owners manual if you don't run top tier fuel to run a bottle of GM injector at every oil change. Have heard the GM cleaner is the same thing as techron concentrate, it does come in a suspiciously similar bottle if this is the stuff. https://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle-maintenance/additives/fuel-system-treatment-plus/

I just run a bottle of techron concentrate every spring, run top tier at least half the time & try to buy my fuel from high volume source.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Seafoam is another good product. Can be used before an oil change as well (in the oil) I used to add a bottle once a year to my car's gas tank and also a little bit to the oil prior to changing it. Not so sure I'll do either in this car but have never had an issue with it. Having been on this forum I've learned a lot about chemical makeup among other factors and am a little weary to practice some of my old habits.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Marvels mystery oil nothing else

Reactions: AutumnCruzeRS

·
10,713 Posts
Seafoam is another good product. Can be used before an oil change as well (in the oil) I used to add a bottle once a year to my car's gas tank and also a little bit to the oil prior to changing it. Not so sure I'll do either in this car but have never had an issue with it. Having been on this forum I've learned a lot about chemical makeup among other factors and am a little weary to practice some of my old habits.
Yeah smoke shows are fun! I used the aerosol version of it at the TB instead av a vac line to get even coverage. Sucks in new cars you need 2 people to do it.

Sent from my iFail 5s

·
Registered
215 Posts
I haven't used Techron or Marvel, but I've tried some Gumout and STP fuel system cleaners in the past and never saw any detectable change. Tried a bottle of Seafoam in the tank of my '85 1-ton a few years ago and I noticed a great difference. I've used it in nearly everything I own since, including air-cooled single cylinder engines, and it definitely works. I'm running a bottle through my Cruze's tank every 10K miles. IMHO if your oil is doing its job you shouldn't need to run it through the oil in these cars. Even though I buy most of my gas from a high-traffic Mobil or stations along the interstate I feel the Seafoam contributes to regularly achieving above-rated fuel economy in my car. I don't know the science of it all, but Seafoam isn't designed to be used all the time - I believe it says every 2,000-5,000 miles on the can. So, even though good gas may have cleaning additives in it, those additives (potentially being run in the fuel system full-time) can't be as aggressive as a periodic additive - hence the possible benefits of occasionally using a stronger additive such as Seafoam, etc.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Techron works if you need it. I run a bottle through all my vehicles twice a year. Pour in the fuel tank before a fill and let it clean the fuel system.

I was getting erratic fuel gauge readings from my vette years ago. I ran a bottle through and it must have removed build-up from the fuel level sensor contacts. Never had a problem again after using it twice a year.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I have never used fuel system cleaners on any of my FI engines and never had any problems with any of them. Their mpg and oil usage has always remained constant for the 100K+ miles I've owned each of them. I don't use TT gas in them either. The manufacturer of my newest car recommends TT gas, or an additive be used at each oil change; so I'm putting a 12 oz. bottle of Techron into the tank at each oil change (about every 6,400 miles by the OLM) while it's under warranty. The engine in this car is a 1.8L NA SOHC 16 valve VTEC motor, so I guess it's as old tech. as my previous cars. If I were dealing with the 1.4L turbo motor in the Cruze, I'd likely also do the gas tank additive at every oil change just because of the design of the engine.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I have never used fuel system cleaners on any of my FI engines and never had any problems with any of them. Their mpg and oil usage has always remained constant for the 100K+ miles I've owned each of them. I don't use TT gas in them either. The manufacturer of my newest car recommends TT gas, or an additive be used at each oil change; so I'm putting a 12 oz. bottle of Techron into the tank at each oil change (about every 6,400 miles by the OLM) while it's under warranty. The engine in this car is a 1.8L NA SOHC 16 valve VTEC motor, so I guess it's as old tech. as my previous cars. If I were dealing with the 1.4L turbo motor in the Cruze, I'd likely also do the gas tank additive at every oil change just because of the design of the engine.
In fact, our engines are more likely to blow out the carbon that would otherwise more easily build up in a N/A motor due to the combustion chamber temps. Re: Italian tuneup.

I've seen what intake valves look like with no additive or cleaner treatment after a valve job I did on some Jaguar heads. It's not something I want my valves to look like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts