Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for my 2011 Black Granite Metallic RS 1LT with 16,000 miles I was offered $15,000 for it. Bought it of $21,***. Has the weird tranny problem also. Plug in one tire, 1 small small dent in fender also cant tell unless your looking for it. Looking at a 2012 White diamond Malibu with the 1Lt All-star package out the door for $20,3** . I still owe 16,900 on it. I figure payment will go down like 20 bucks maybe. I think they can do better. Any other thoughts?? thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
How will your payment go down, if you owe 2k more than they will give you on trade? Putting a bunch of cash down, or is there a big difference in your financing? If it were me, I'd keep the Cruze, at least until you're not upside down. Remember, in the beginning you're mostly paying interest. Plus, the car value is going down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Payment would go down because instead of financing 21,***. ill be financing 20,3**. So might go down 20 bucks be financing $1000 less lol

Out the door price for malibu includes what i owe on cruze, and taxes. Be the final price for the switch.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
If you need the bigger car, this is probably a good deal. Otherwise I agree with Big Grouch and keep the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
Now I was told that if youre going to trade the 3rd year of payments is the time to consider trading it in. Other than that youre throwing money out the window.

Hoping me and my Cruze are still here to read the posts barring any engine fires!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Would never get a tire plugged, weakens the casing and a shortcut repair. Would take it to a shop that can vulcanized a patch on the inside, far superior repair.

Also would never tell you how to spend your money, unless you were my kid under 18 years of age. Ha, then I would be responsible for you and your payments.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Well, $15k seems pretty generous considering KBB valued your Cruze at $14,200 for trade-in. It's amazing how much value is dropped off as soon as you drive it off the lot.

If you want an extra grand, I would consider a private-party sale. Have you thought of that?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I'd keep your Cruze, at least for a while longer. To my mind, that reads as being paid $15k for a car you owe $17k on. Then they would tack on that $2k difference from the Cruze onto the Malibu. So it would be $22k instead of $20k. So, instead of going down, the payments would go up. Or am I reading the numbers wrong?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd keep your Cruze, at least for a while longer. To my mind, that reads as being paid $15k for a car you owe $17k on. Then they would tack on that $2k difference from the Cruze onto the Malibu. So it would be $22k instead of $20k. So, instead of going down, the payments would go up. Or am I reading the numbers wrong?
That's what I was thinking too.That $1900 will be added on unless you put some cash down.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I did the same thing with the Lancer I traded for my ECO MT. Because of drops in the interest rate it only added $8 to the payment. The reduction in insurance and fuel costs saved me far more money. Basically it's possible to reduce your payment even when upside down on your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Malibu isn't too much bigger than the Cruze. Unless you absolutely need the extra space, I'd keep the Cruze.

I drove my vehicles to at least 100k miles before considering getting rid of them for something new.

Sent from Galaxy Nexus on Jelly Bean

·
Registered
468 Posts
Payment would go down because instead of financing 21,***. ill be financing 20,3**. So might go down 20 bucks be financing $1000 less lol

Out the door price for malibu includes what i owe on cruze, and taxes. Be the final price for the switch.
I think you need some help with math. You're doing government math right now.

$16,900 - 15,000 = 1,900 + 20,300 = 22,200

Unless you're paying off that $1900 difference first(which you haven't stated), you'd be financing even more than before.

Also you're looking at lower mileage from the Malibu which raises your total cost of ownership even more. So unless you're doing it because you need a slightly bigger car, it doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
72 Posts
He has already stated that the out the door price has the extra from the trade in already calculated in. So it is not bad math or anything like that just bad reading on your part. Obviously he is saying that the price for the Malibu would be around 18-19 and with the negative equity from the trade in the price out the door would be 20,***.

As for the OP it sounds like you are trying to justify to yourself getting rid of the cruze by listing all the things you have wrong with it. In the end you are the one that has to live with the decision and whatever you want in a car.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could have purchased a loaded Impala last year for the same price as the Cruze, dealer was knocking off $8,000! Wife liked it, but she never like driving my 92 DeVille that actually got better fuel economy than the Impala. Always above 30 mpg on the highway. And was like a new car, but old according to her.

Would take a micrometer to determine the rear seat difference in the Malibu, and history proves only our three year old granddaughter sits back there, its the law.

Key interest was fuel economy, with reduced BTU ratings on gas, was 120,000 BTU per gallon, now dropped into the 91,000 to 106,000 BTU range, so more like paying $5.75 per gallon. And the latest news says gas prices are going up again.

Cruze gets us there and in a very quiet comfortable car, leaving us with some money left over so we can pay our property taxes for services we are not receiving. Have to cut spending some places, sure don't get a tax deduction for transportation expenses to our jobs. And without that transportation, wouldn't even have a job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So for my 2011 Black Granite Metallic RS 1LT with 16,000 miles I was offered $15,000 for it. Bought it of $21,***. Has the weird tranny problem also. Plug in one tire, 1 small small dent in fender also cant tell unless your looking for it. Looking at a 2012 White diamond Malibu with the 1Lt All-star package out the door for $20,3** . I still owe 16,900 on it. I figure payment will go down like 20 bucks maybe. I think they can do better. Any other thoughts?? thanks
I find it hard to believe any reputable dealer would offer you more for the car than its worth on the wholesale or even Kelly Blue Book value. A 2011 1LT Cruze is worth $12,000 for trade given its inferior gas mileage compared to 2012 model year Cruzes. Further, the issues the car has including cosmetic are significant. If you are looking for an excuse to sell the Cruze, don't lie to yourself about the particulars for some bizarre and unnecessary justification scheme, just sell it.

For everyone's awareness: all cars are liabilities. Not assets. You will lose money on your car purchase no matter what. Even if you were to sell it at the same price you bought it, you still lost money through ownership cost. It hardly matters when you sell in the car's lifetime because the optimization problem has to consider extended expenses and therefore you either lose money today or you lose money in a year, it really doesn't matter. The true cost of ownership is a recursive problem that has no optimal mathematical solution because the foundation of profit is incorrect-- car's are liabilities, there is no profit. If there was an optimal solution, GM would be happily buying our cars back without financial consequence to us, but oddly enough, this never is the case.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I find it hard to believe any reputable dealer would offer you more for the car than its worth on the wholesale or even Kelly Blue Book value. A 2011 1LT Cruze is worth $12,000 for trade given its inferior gas mileage compared to 2012 model year Cruzes. Further, the issues the car has including cosmetic are significant. If you are looking for an excuse to sell the Cruze, don't lie to yourself about the particulars for some bizarre and unnecessary justification scheme, just sell it.

For everyone's awareness: all cars are liabilities. Not assets. You will lose money on your car purchase no matter what. Even if you were to sell it at the same price you bought it, you still lost money through ownership cost. It hardly matters when you sell in the car's lifetime because the optimization problem has to consider extended expenses and therefore you either lose money today or you lose money in a year, it really doesn't matter. The true cost of ownership is a recursive problem that has no optimal mathematical solution because the foundation of profit is incorrect-- car's are liabilities, there is no profit. If there was an optimal solution, GM would be happily buying our cars back without financial consequence to us, but oddly enough, this never is the case.
OP didn't say it was through a dealer - it may in fact be private sale (hence the slightly increased value over KBB), but not only that don't forget the OP also has the RS package which ups the value. And I wouldn't count those as significant cosmetic damages, but that's just me.

To the OP: Make sure you test drive the Malibu! As much as that may sound like an obvious thing, there really is a massive difference between the Malibu and Cruze in feeling! And if you need the extra space, and are looking for something a little more 'mature' I suppose is the right term, then why not! I haven't really been a HUGE fan of the Malibu until the 2013 years, but if you like it..do it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes that price was out the door. So malibu was 18.... something. We planned on keeping this car till its dead but with the transmission problem going on makes us think get rid of it and grow in to a malibu. Im just on the fence if we want to trade are sporty lookin car in for a comfort ride, more room with no problems. Plan on having a kid in a few years. Just dont know

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
It amazes me how my $25,000 2011 LTZ RS is "worth" less at the time of trade in then your LT. Gotta love dealerships!

Keep it. You lose too much money on trade ins.
My local dealership gave me 21,500$ for my 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS last month when I traded it in for 2013 LTZ RS my payment went down 10$ a month. Wasn't going to do it but couldn't pass up the deal they gave me.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Wondering why they would want you to do that, unless its a different dealer. I started considering trading my ls for an lt.
What made you make the trade for the same trim in the first place?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts