Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have a 2012 Cruze LT and recently noticed a thumping sound if I am waiting for someone and have car in idle and after turning the car off. It happens every 20 seconds or so but eventually goes away. I took it into a chevy dealership for service and asked tech about it and they said they were unable to duplicate the noise yet I hear it every time I turn off the engine. Has anyone had this issue before so I can tell dealer what to fix? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Can you give a more detailed description?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yes I've heard something like this after the car has run for a short trip, a few blocks and shut off. It seems to go forever, a good 40-50 seconds.

It doesn't happen on a regular basis, but I've heard it maybe 5-6 times since the car has been new.

I believe it's something electrical on the 1.4L Auto. If it doesn't go away in a few minutes, start the car, and drive it to operating temperature.

The Cruze, and specifically the 2012 1.4L because I've owned it since it's been new, has a lot of electrical noises under the hood. No issues or problems, but a lot of clicking, electrical actuating noises.

If you can get audio of the noise on your mobile phone upload it here for everyone to listen to.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
A thumping sound, AFTER the engine is turned off?! You have my attention. Would love a more detailed explanation as well.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
A thumping sound, AFTER the engine is turned off?! You have my attention. Would love a more detailed explanation as well.
Yeah this has my attention too, I have a 2011 Cruze I haven't experienced anything like that (YET!). Is the thumping sound like "thud, thud" or are you hearing a 'knock' type sound? What I would do is raised the hood while the car is idling & then turn off the engine & try to isolate the area its coming from where its coming from maybe the coolant area pushing coolant back into the coolant reservoir tank?

But I am not mechanically inclined those are shots in the dark, I am sure there will be more helpful tips to come in shortly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.