Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have went more than 14 years in all my previous cars & never gotten a ticket, I was stopped a couple times & let go. The two times I have been stopped in my cruze I have been ticketed.

At first I thought the cop was just seeing it was a 2012 car on the registration & figured I would afford it, but after being stopped a few days back I began to wonder if the RS package makes the car look to sporty & a target for being stopped. My car is blue granite metallic with the RS package.

This last time I was stopped I was going with the flow of traffic & was speeding, 52mph in a 40mph zone. I was speeding so I have no issue with being stopped, but seems strange I was the one stopped in the middle of a group of cars speeding.

Anyone else seem to get more tickets in there cruze?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Cops DO profile cars, especially if they look "riced out" or sporty. My wife in 1 week recently got 4 tickets for various things (all of which she wasn't doing). She, like you, hadn't gotten a ticket in several years. They were only pulling her over because of what she was driving. It was always in the same general area.

I got pulled over after I had the windows tinted. Had a friend who knew a cop get the ticket signed so I only had to pay $25. I bet when I put the stripes on I'll get more attention.

·
Super Moderator
5,177 Posts
I could see how easy it would be as the Cruze rolls so smooth and hard to judge speed based on feeling. I did get one in Indiana. Other than that I pay more attention to my speed based on what gear I am in.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I could see how easy it would be as the Cruze rolls so smooth and hard to judge speed based on feeling. I did get one in Indiana. Other than that I pay more attention to my speed based on what gear I am in.
Yeah I frequently end up doing 90 if I'm not watching because the car doesnt feel like it's going fast at all.

Reactions: 2princesses

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if its the RS package I will be trading the car, probably for another cruze since all the other cars in the class still suck. Anyone with an eco have issues with being stopped?

Side note: If any of you get stopped what ever you do don't spin the tires taking off after being ticketed even if the shoulder is snowy/icey. I got re-pulled over a half mile down the road & got another ticket for reckless driving. Needless to say I will be fighting that one in court.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
That isn't right. They shouldn't have done that if it was Icy.

I got pulled over once in my 87 Nova. I pulled off onto a dirt shoulder that apparently was nothing but soft sand. So when I went to leave I spun the tires and dug a hole. I couldn't get out! The cop got out of his car and started approaching and I floored it and was able to get out before he got to me. I was shocked I didn't get stopped again.

Reactions: spacedout

·
Registered
444 Posts
i just got pulled over yesterday, for my tint, license plate cover, and a "rolling stop" at a stop sign. But i dont get ticketed at all he didnt know that car was mine being that i just recently purchased it. Shouldnt have that problem anymore.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,537 Posts
Yes, dammit. Regular LT here.

I've got 2 since owning it and stopped a 3rd time. This was all within 3 months of owning it, and I wasn't speeding THAT much. 57 in a 50...are you serious?

Not sure how much of that has to do with my move to Northern VA though. That probably has a lot to do with it - cops are EVERYWHERE here, and they are bored. I owned my Volvo with a lot more power for 5 years, drove like a maniac, and was stopped twice. Got out of both of those tickets.

Sigh. Figures you never see a cop when someone else is doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
My favorite is seeing a cop having to wait for some idiot to complete running the opposite direction red light. I've never seen a cop put their lights on and pull the fool over.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got pulled over in my Cruze for a rolling stop and was very cooperative and the officer let me off with just a warning. I think what was funny as heck was yesterday I had a city cop on the freeway on a exit only lane with a collector distributor lane next to it. I was driving right at 60 MPH (the speed limit) and this kid comes racing up and then almost forces me over because they just had to be where I was, after the the kid realizes that I was going to remain right where I was as there was plenty of space in front of me, the kid races ahead and cuts in front of the 3 cars in front of me hitting the edge of the exit triangle (gore point) the kid goes another 50 feet, decides that they do not want the exit and completely crosses the triangle and that is when the party lights and a siren goes off and the city cop pulls over the kid. I kept everything steady and the cop never even bothered me.

The whole thing on crossing the triangle is a Washington state fine of $565.00 and generally cops will also tack on a additional ticket for failure to yield leaving a shoulder and that is $124.00.....

Reactions: obermd

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Darn lucky I guess, darn Cruze is so quiet, found myself driving 37 in a 25, using the cruise control in town to prevent that.

Wife got caught do 35 mph in a 25, but with her sweet voice, talked the cop out of it. Told him a new car to her, is so quiet and smooth, she didn't know she was driving that fast.

Ha, when I first got my Supra, could get a speeding ticket when parked.

As a kid, use to put a playing card in the spokes of my wheels, should do the same thing with the Cruze. Or better yet straight pipes, cops don't bother Harleys with a 139 CID engine with straight pipes, why should a little 86 CID bother them.

·
17,537 Posts
I was driving right at 60 MPH (the speed limit) and this kid comes racing up and then almost forces me over because they just had to be where I was, after the the kid realizes that I was going to remain right where I was as there was plenty of space in front of me, the kid races ahead and cuts in front of the 3 cars in front of me hitting the edge of the exit triangle (gore point) the kid goes another 50 feet, decides that they do not want the exit and completely crosses the triangle and that is when the party lights and a siren goes off and the city cop pulls over the kid.

The whole thing on crossing the triangle is a Washington state fine of $565.00 and generally cops will also tack on a additional ticket for failure to yield leaving a shoulder and that is $124.00.....
That should warrant a whack upside the head with a billy club too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been lucky so far with this car, knock on wood. I haven't been pulled over in it at all. I have a 12 ls and I dpmt have any real visual mods, except for blacked put bow ties.
This is nothing like my WRX, man cops loved that car, in a little over a year I was pulled over 5 times. Never a ticket, and never was speeding, it was all small things, "modified exhaust" , not using a blinker (which I know I did) but luckily because of this my insurance is a third of what the wrx insurance was.

Etched by a RAZR powered by LTE

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I got pulled over in my Cruze for a rolling stop and was very cooperative and the officer let me off with just a warning. I think what was funny as heck was yesterday I had a city cop on the freeway on a exit only lane with a collector distributor lane next to it. I was driving right at 60 MPH (the speed limit) and this kid comes racing up and then almost forces me over because they just had to be where I was, after the the kid realizes that I was going to remain right where I was as there was plenty of space in front of me, the kid races ahead and cuts in front of the 3 cars in front of me hitting the edge of the exit triangle (gore point) the kid goes another 50 feet, decides that they do not want the exit and completely crosses the triangle and that is when the party lights and a siren goes off and the city cop pulls over the kid. I kept everything steady and the cop never even bothered me.

That should warrant a whack upside the head with a billy club too.
Don't know if I'd go that far, but a Gibbs (NCIS) style wake up call is definitely in order. Hopefully the DA and Judge throw the book at this kid. By doing so they'll send the kid's insurance rates sky high which is the only way he'll learn. Fortunately no one got hurt by his stupidity.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Never been pulled over...ever. I don't drive like a granny either so idk I usually set my my speed to 70 on interstates (5 OTL) and pass cops like nothings wrong, always seem to leave me alone.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Never been pulled over...ever. I don't drive like a granny either so idk I usually set my my speed to 70 on interstates (5 OTL) and pass cops like nothings wrong, always seem to leave me alone.
That has always been my method that previously worked.

While traveling through Arkansas I got stopped within 400ft of the exit ramp going to fuel up. Went to change lanes on a deserted highway at night, I was in right lane on a 4lane road gas station was on the left a block ahead. There was nothing next to me, cop must have pulled out of center medium without headlight on, I almost hit him & had to crank wheel back to right lane to avoid hitting him. Got a ticket for driving left of center, even though I should have got a ticket for not using my signal to change lanes.

Now even if its at night & no one is around I ALWAYS use my turn signals. I guess it could have been worse, I could have hit him! LOL. In Wisconsin its is illegal for a cop to sit parked along the roadway without his parking lights on, even if in a parking lot, turn out or medium strip. This cop had no lights & my passenger nor I seen him or his headlights until he was right next to me. Either that or he was going well above the speed limit to appear next to me so fast. I realize this car has blind spots, but at night you can always see headlights.

·
17,537 Posts
I had something like that happen to me where I used to live.

It was raining hard and I was on a 2-lane road. The guy going the other way was speeding, and there was a cop facing my direction. He saw him go by, and I was going just under 30 mph (in a 25 zone). The cop pulls RIGHT out in front of me, does a hugeeeee U-turn in the middle of the road at 1 mph. I slam on my brakes to avoid him, swerve to the right to not clip his car, and then back to the left. My car does a huge 180. A cop coming down the road the other way pulls up behind me and pulls me over, saying I was being a "reckless" driver.

"Look, your buddy there didn't freaking look, and you're right, I was avoid him and didn't hit his car. I'm sure you've both got your quotas to fill, but you're **** right I was being wreck-less. With a W, sir."

Since he couldn't find anything to give me a ticket for, he told me to stop being a smartass and sent me on my way.

With my friend once, he got a warning there for blinking only TWICE when he changed lanes.

I swear sometimes they really have nothing better to do then just harass people.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Knock on wood, so far so good here. I've only been pulled over once (and in the Excursion). I was coming home from school and got off the highway at a different exit than usual, a way I don't usually go because I wanted to take some back roads. It was rural, but due to a small overpass, the light at the end of the ramp is no turn on red (with three signs). I conveniently didn't see any of them, but came to a complete stop, looked, no one was around, so I turned right. Cop was sitting right at the gas station there and came after me. It was apparently training day so they looked everything over and just let me off with a warning. I did make the turn completely safe and legally except the no turn on red part.

I generally don't see any cops in my commute, but there's too much traffic to get any significant speed. I'm usually in the left lane and happy to do 73-75 to get around all the people doing stop and go by the entrance/exit ramps.

Again, knocking on wood here...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts