Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

ticking sound at idle after warming up

862 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  stevesjh
Hello, I have a 2013 Cruze with the 1.4 turbo. I just got it, and I started noticing a tick. I took the valve cover off, and I was able to loosen the chain guide by hand so I tightened it and put the cover back on. I'm going to do an oil change soon, it needs it, should I give it a flush before I do? any other suggestions? Also, I have some Motor Medic ValveMedic Oil Detergent I'm thinking about trying, tomorrow I'll make sure the noise is coming from the engine and not around it.
Here is cold:

Here is warmed up:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,246 Posts
A video would help. No, don't flush the engine. Please don't ever do that. If you feel the need to do something, I'd suggest doing a short oil change. After about 500-3000 miles change the oil and filter, right after an Italian tune up. This might get out a bit more build up and get fresh detergents in. Beyond that I recommend 5k oil changes with Dexos 1 rated oil and Oem (10k rated) oil filters.

On the 1.4L engines the fuel injectors are loud, it is common to think the ticking is a problem.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
A video would help. No, don't flush the engine. Please don't ever do that. If you feel the need to do something, I'd suggest doing a short oil change. After about 500-3000 miles change the oil and filter, right after an Italian tune up. This might get out a bit more build up and get fresh detergents in. Beyond that I recommend 5k oil changes with Dexos 1 rated oil and Oem (10k rated) oil filters.

On the 1.4L engines the fuel injectors are loud, it is common to think the ticking is a problem.
Thank you, I edited my post. And what about Motor Medic ValveMedic oil detergent? I was thinking about throwing some in until I do the oil change. I'm going to check to make sure the spark plugs are tight and good tomorrow. Also, the one bolt on the bottom left of the valve cover was stripped, I'm wondering if I put some threadlocker on it if I can get it to tighten.

· Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,246 Posts
Well, since you have it. Just follow the instructions carefully on the flush. Yes. Check the spark plugs, loose plugs are a common issue.
The valve cover bolt hole probably will need a helicoil style repair. When you do the repair install a new valve cover. And use a torque wrench, the stripped bolts are from over torqued bolts.

· Registered
16 Posts
The clacking noise after it's warmed-up is likely the Vapor canister purge solenoid. If my RPMs ar above about 900, it goes away. Mine's done that for the last 100,000 miles, even after replacing the solenoid. My guess is that the other ticking noise is just the injectors. I think 1.4T's are just noisy motors.

· Registered
4,035 Posts
I used to use red ATF in the oil. 500 miles before changing.

Now I use seafoam.

There's a guy on YouTube who made a famous clacking ford bronco 2.9 purr like brand new using seafoam in the gas tank and motor oil. Changing the oil after the tank was used up.

I was a mechanic back at that time so I heard that motor a lot. Couldn't beleive how quiet it was after the treatment.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clacking noise after it's warmed-up is likely the Vapor canister purge solenoid. If my RPMs ar above about 900, it goes away. Mine's done that for the last 100,000 miles, even after replacing the solenoid. My guess is that the other ticking noise is just the injectors. I think 1.4T's are just noisy motors.
you're right, the clacking was the purge solenoid. that's refreshing, that was the noise I was really worried about. I'll chalk the ticking up to being injectors.

I used to use red ATF in the oil. 500 miles before changing.

Now I use seafoam.

There's a guy on YouTube who made a famous clacking ford bronco 2.9 purr like brand new using seafoam in the gas tank and motor oil. Changing the oil after the tank was used up.

I was a mechanic back at that time so I heard that motor a lot. Couldn't beleive how quiet it was after the treatment.
I'll give it a try, I saw a video of someone doing a flush and using seafoam on a 350z, it worked for him. I imagine you have a Cruze too, does yours tick too?

· Registered
4,035 Posts
you're right, the clacking was the purge solenoid. that's refreshing, that was the noise I was really worried about. I'll chalk the ticking up to being injectors.

I'll give it a try, I saw a video of someone doing a flush and using seafoam on a 350z, it worked for him. I imagine you have a Cruze too, does yours tick too?
Mine is the second gen cruze.

· Registered
58 Posts
yeah our engines are clicky in general but my engine always gets more clicky the older the oil gets. But that noise is the evap purge valve it showed in your video it sits on top of the intake vallve red clip holds it down. i actually replaced mine with one that came off an used engine i purchased last year. the noise went away as soon as i installed newer one. My old one had 208,000 thousand miles on it. Looking at your engine im sure your engine is up in miles so you could purchase a new one or just put a new oil change on her and she will quite down a little. I would put a new one on it. because mine is so unrecognizable now i had to lift hood once or twice to make sure it was actually working. just a double check you know. but mine is almost silent now after putting a evap purge valve on with considerably less mileage

good luck!

· Registered
2014 RS
83 Posts
I have always used 4 oz of Sea Foam in the oil just before changing it (approx 40-50 miles). It purrs like a kitten. Fwiw, I have the Bosch 42# green injectors. They don't click at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts