Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very rough on my brakes and to be honest they are terrible from the factory.

So here lies my question "to be or not to be".

Should I say f-it and go with a big brake kit?

If so who makes a big brake kit other than ZZP?
Is the zzp kit trash?
I wish stop-tech made kits for our cars but I realize I would probably the only one that would buy them.

OR

Should I just keep factory sizes and go with high quality aftermarket parts?
What brands brands have you had success with in our Cruze?

brakesparks.jpg disc-Brake-damage.jpg had to add photos for your viewing enjoyment....cool photos

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Apparently, there are a few options for direct bolt on Brembo calipers. 12" option and larger 12.6, or 12.9 that require drilling out the spindles to 14mm. Which is reversible.

SneakerFix will likely chime in. He knows much more about it.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
I've been looking for some high quality alternatives. So far the only thing I've come across is R1 Concepts Premiere line as an upgrade. Stop Tech makes some as well but they're $70-$90 apiece and only come in slotted/drilled, which is pointless for a street car. I have no reason to believe that I'm paying extra for anything other than the drilled holes and slots.

EBC has a few options as well, but you either go into $100+ for each rotor or you just pay extra to have it drilled and slotted. I just want a high quality blank.

The R1 rotors are supposed to be G3500 castings instead of the typical G3000, which should resist wear better.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found a company and I am awaiting their return email but it looks promising.CEIKA | Custom-built Big Brake Kits.

For some reason I have trouble trusting R1. I really wanna go big brake. Especially if I can get the pair under 1k.
I had good success with ebc green stuff pads but the rotors they supplied were basically crossdrilled and slot oem.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
I have found a company and I am awaiting their return email but it looks promising.CEIKA | Custom-built Big Brake Kits.

For some reason I have trouble trusting R1. I really wanna go big brake. Especially if I can get the pair under 1k.
I had good success with ebc green stuff pads but the rotors they supplied were basically crossdrilled and slot oem.
Everything I've seen indicates it's a rebranded Centric premium line rotor, except the centric rotor isn't as easy to get and it's about the same price. What you saw is the reason I refuse to get a drilled/slotted rotor. About every rotor I've seen that is cut up or has holes in it is just a fancy OEM rotor. Been there, done that, never again. I want to pay more for a better quality blank rotor. The R1 Premiere line rotors are a G3500 casting. The e-line are a G3000 casting like everything else. That's the #1 reason I've been looking at them.

I'll be honest, for the kind of driving I do on this car, a high quality set of blanks and a good brake fluid will work perfectly well. I just don't want to have to buy a new set of rotors every 40k miles because they are such junk. Back in the day, I paid $200 for a set of powerstop drilled rotors for my Regal, and those lasted me over 100k miles (I think it was closer to 120k miles) before I had to replace them because one of my calipers seized and made the rotor glow. Still never wore unevenly. I don't think they're using the same metal quality anymore though.

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
+1 for PowerStop, back in the day. Had a set on each of my 5 DSMs. PowerStop and Axxis Metal Master pads. 3300 pound car stopped so hard the blood would rush to the front of your face.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I was one of the 1st on this site to fool around with brakes, since i was doing Lapping on a Racetrack every week.

It depends on one factor only : What do you do with your car ?

Do you Race ? If not, just some Centric plain rotors with Hawk HP plus pads will be enough.

Go on Tirerack.com and you can get both at a good price delivered at your home.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1 for powerstop, back in the day. Had a set on each of my 5 dsms. Powerstop and axxis metal master pads. 3300 pound car stopped so hard the blood would rush to the front of your face.
yea i used to sell powerstop products with good success but the shop i have been working for stays away from mechanical so i have been out of the game for a while

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
im glad my thread tipped you over the edge lol.

I am gonna go big brakes the zzp looks like rebuilt oem f-body parts, so hopefully ceika comes thru!
If you looked at all the threads about brakes in this Forum, then you saw mine about the ZZP kit...

That kit isnt perfect, but i had it for years now and its decent, way better then stock when paired with the Rotors and Pads i posted earlier. (Centric rotors + Hawk HP plus)

Btw, if you have a good budget, u can go with this : Ksport Adjustable Coilover Systems, Camber Kits and Suspension Products | Ksport Store

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
im glad my thread tipped you over the edge lol.

I am gonna go big brakes the zzp looks like rebuilt oem f-body parts, so hopefully ceika comes thru!
I can't justify larger rotors unless I'm abusing the car on a track. Semi-metallic pads as a start will improve my braking performance. Already running AMSOIL's brake fluid. Big brakes outside the track are more of a novelty than anything.

·
Vendor
962 Posts
If you are thinking about some serious performance upgrade, I would recommend you to check out the aftermarket brake kit made by KSport. Their ProComp complete front brake upgrade kitis designed to enhance the braking power. I am sure you will be satisfied with the end result. The kit is available in 3 different sizes of your choice.

Follow the link, if you need more details: KSport® - Chevy Cruze 2013 ProComp Front Brake Kit

If any additional question appear, I will be more than glad to help you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts