Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for you guys. What timing should I see at wot? I the trifecta tune, Zzp intake with collar removed with ECP enabled, muffler delete, and 93 octane since new

Reason I'm asking is lately the car has been feeling sluggish at wot, like it's being held back. I have an ultragauge and I've watched it lately be anywhere from 0 to 3* of advance. Well I swapped out the ngk 4644 I had gapped at 0.029 for a set of auto life 3923 gapped to 0.027. Did a couple pulls on the freeway while on my way home from work and I was seeing -1.5 to 2* timing advance and it feels a little worse now. Engine temp was right around 200f, ambient was 70f, and intake temp was about 90f due to the stop and go traffic.

What do you guys think? I want the hard pulling cruze back

Thanks
dean

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Depending on the year some show 1.8 degree false knock retard

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been running 93octance since my first full up, and it's usually either speedway or Kroger. But I've been running them for well over a year and it's just the last month I've had the issues. Before I would consistently see 2-5* advance but now it's usually at 0* at wot.

oh and this is a manual cruze, I know I haven't said that yet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can watch the ultragauge and see the sluggishness in the timing, when it feels like it's flat on it's face it's below 1* but when it's cold like in the morn or leaving work it pulls like mad at 4-6* I'm just lost as to why once she's warm why it's falling on it's face. Intake temps are usually within 20* of ambient. Most of the time within 10*

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you checked post intercooler charge air temps? Those temps are more important than whats measured at the MAF. They get toasty, when everything gets heat soaked.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
I would agree with BradSt that heat soaking is the cause. If you're going to run a SRI I would highly recommend a better intercooler. Otherwise, a CAI will help alleviate these issues.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i use to see the same ting with trifecta. Timing would always be low...under 5*. I am tuned by a different tuner now and all that seems to be worked out now. i see a minum of 6* and at WOT with the meth going i see 13*. I have an intercooler temp gauge and when the turbo is maxed out you will see 300++ on the hot side. after the intercooler i see right around 115 on a 100* day.

Reactions: SportBilly

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would agree with BradSt that heat soaking is the cause. If you're going to run a SRI I would highly recommend a better intercooler. Otherwise, a CAI will help alleviate these issues.

The issue is it's an ECO so I can't run a different intercooler without removing the active shutters, and I'm keeping that with all of my highway driving. Now moving the intercooler forward may be interesting, found a lot of people suggesting it but no one actually doing it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Really the stock intercooler does a very good job.I tested mine in 98 F temps with the AC on with a aggressive 93 octane tune.I was also running the complete stock factory intake with a K&N panel filter.But than again i would never run a SRI breathing hot under hood air either on this engine.In hot weather the SRI adds way to much hot air to the mix

Reactions: Cruton

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've got a 2 hour drive today I'm gonna throw the stock intake back on and watch the temps, might have to buy a atmospheric blow off if this fixes it since I love the sound the Sri give it, ECP is already enabled on my tune so the bov would be a bolt on

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
see how it runs could be interesting

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am not a fan of E85 for one of these engines.To many driveability issues.Meth Injection is the best way to go_Only draw back is adding boost juice every fill up.But if you buy it right or mix it ! Its only about $2.50 a fill up. You will get a solid 20HP/20LB TQ Increase over a base Trifecta or Vtune

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the stock intake was night and day compared to the zzp. Running the a/c I never saw more then 10* over ambient at the maf and I had 4-6* of timing, this is after I let it sit for 20min and everything got all nice and heat soaked.

forge bov on order lol

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not real surprised ! Glad to hear you made out good just add a K&N panel filter.I do find i have more intake noise with the K&N.You got about the same results i saw hot weather testing with AC on. I am also sure your makeing more power to !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts