Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Timing Belt DIC Warning Message?

128K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Snipesy 
#1 ·
Good Morning,

I have 2012 Chevy Cruze LS. (I think....I just know it's the base model haha) I believe it's 1.8 if I recall.

I reached 100k Mileage this morning and notice I'm receiving a "Check your Timing Belt See Manual" Which instantly struck a PTSD moment in me because long time ago (about 6 years ago) I had a 2003 Dodge Neon that the Timing Belt decided to snap on me while I was heading to work.

So I'm currently in panic mode since my first thought is "OMG what if this happens again I don't have the money to afford this!!!!"

My goal is to try to get it fixed now sooner than next week but my bigger concern is worrying it's going to snap before then. Since dealer cost an arm and a leg figured I'd just buy the part myself https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-p...jcnV6ZSZ5PTIwMTImdD1scyZlPTEtOGwtbDQtZmxleA==

And have a local mechanic do it.

Is the DIC message an actual check of the condition of the belt or is just something automatically comes up at 100K?

Thanks for the future advice :)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#31 ·
Automatic based on odometer reading

Also, you qualify for a 100,000 mile badge, congrats!

Read more about it here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion/119969-high-mileage-badges.html
Ok, What say you've paid the dealer to replace the belt at around 140k. Now we're just past 200k and we have the reminder light on the dash. Is there a way to make the light go away for right now? We'll do the belt again next summer. And yes I'll post a pic of the odometer for a badge.

#3 ·
You should still have some life left in the timing belt but don't take too long. The LS timing belt is supposed to be changed every 100,000 miles as general maintenance.

#5 ·
Since dealer cost an arm and a leg figured I'd just buy the part myself https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-p...jcnV6ZSZ5PTIwMTImdD1scyZlPTEtOGwtbDQtZmxleA==

And have a local mechanic do it.
Check with your mechanic first. Getting one that will use your parts may be like trying to find a McDonald's that will make a Egg Muffin with your eggs.

get it changed sooner rather than later.
If you think changing the belt is expensive, you don't want to see the bill for when it snaps!

Reactions: Tomko
#10 ·
Hello Again,
Quick question.
What's the difference between a drive belt and a serpentine belt? How can I know which I have?

I ordered the timing belt kit online but the mechanic also said "if I want" I can also replace the "drive" belt I believe he called as he claimed it would have to be taken off anyway during the timing belt replacement process.

I tried to look this up online but I suppose cars either have one or the other.

#11 ·
Sounds like he's referring to the serpentine belt that drives your alternator and A/C. Probably a good idea to change that too while you're at it as rubber parts (like tires) age out over time.

Reactions: IndyDiesel
#19 ·
There are timing tools for the 1.8L gas engine. Like a pin for the crankshaft to hold it at TDC and a cam tool. But they seem to have a much greater availability than the diesel tool kit. More 1.8's in the market I guess. It's also a little easier given that the water pump if I recall is driven off the serpentine belt. vs. internal on the timing belt.

I recall seeing the timing tools at Gates.com when I was considering the 2.0 CTD and looking at Maintenance requirements. The 1.8L tools didn't seem that expensive. Like under $100. I'd hope your mechanic would use them. The design of the tools, pinning the crank to TDC seems a lot easier than trying to mark everything and hope to get it lined up in the future.

#20 ·
Back to the original post, I drove until 126,000 until I finally decided that I don't want to play the Russian roulette anymore and had my timing belt replaced. Right now, my brakes bothering me, also the car seem to developed a bit of hesitation lately. Not noticeable in cities, but on highways I feel like the gas pedal is only for decoration than something that changes things by pressing.

#21 ·
Run a fuel system cleaner through your car. I recommend Royal Purple. Also, are your spark plugs due for changing? If they are or are not, regardless, make sure to Gap (or re-gap) them to spec.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#25 ·
I own a 2013 Cruze. It has no letters such as LS or LT. The check timing belt message appeared yesterday. Looking through the owners manual I cannot find anywhere that tells me if my engine is a 1.4 or 1.8. I apologize for the simplicity of this question. Thank you

#35 ·
****. Congrats but ****. Like a ticking time bomb. If that thing snaps your engine be in trouble lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.