Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
There is no stated service interval for replacing the timing chain on the 1.4 engine.
I would say 60000 we have an aveo in the shop that threw the timing belt 3000 dollar head job

h3llion

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Hooray for the chain on the 1.4T. Although, some chains can be absolute junk too. Much harder to replace a chain than a belt. Although, the 1.4T might not be THAT bad, considering how there's tons of room on that side of the engine bay. The other side is positively cramped!

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
Hooray for the chain on the 1.4T. Although, some chains can be absolute junk too. Much harder to replace a chain than a belt. Although, the 1.4T might not be THAT bad, considering how there's tons of room on that side of the engine bay. The other side is positively cramped!
I don't see there being much of an issue doing anything on this motor as far as space. Want to talk cramped? You should see my 87 Jaguar XJS with the V12 motor. Now that's cramped. I'll bet I can stand inside the engine bay of the cruze and reach the floor.

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts
I have a feeling the chain may outlast your car, i wouldn't lose too much sleep over changing it unless you rev the heck out of the car alot.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I don't see there being much of an issue doing anything on this motor as far as space. Want to talk cramped? You should see my 87 Jaguar XJS with the V12 motor. Now that's cramped. I'll bet I can stand inside the engine bay of the cruze and reach the floor.
Yea I actually thought if shoving a 2.2 ecotec in the wrecked cruze im looking at buying

h3llion

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
I have a feeling the chain may outlast your car, i wouldn't lose too much sleep over changing it unless you rev the heck out of the car alot.
Precisely. To my knowledge, these are lifetime chains that do not require servicing.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Precisely. To my knowledge, these are lifetime chains that do not require servicing.
...no service required, until they fail. Sorry, just couldn't resist an obliviously obvious answer here.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I have a 2011 1.4 engine. Does
it have a timing chain or a
timing belt. If
it has a
timing belt how
often should it be replaced
oldman2,
Scaredpoet is correct. Your 1.4L has a timing chain and the 1.8L engine has a timing belt that is suggested to be replaced at 100,000 miles. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
2,134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Yeah, the timing chain is the last thing I'd worried about on this car. My last daily driver, a 2002 Impala, got the **** beat out of it by yours truly, and the timing chain was still going strong at 264k when I sold it. I realize it's a different engine (3.8L) than the Cruze, but it's also a more powerful engine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had a GM product that was so screwed up it had a timing chain and a timing belt. It was an Olds Cutlass with a 3.4 DOHC motor but it was derived from an old pushrod design. So the original timing chain was still present and it turned an intermediate shaft that ran a belt up to the V6 heads.

I didn't realize my LS had a timing chain when I bought it. I misunderstood the info and saw the part where they highlighted the chain drive but didn't know it only applied to the turbo motor.

·
Administrator
15,853 Posts
I had a GM product that was so screwed up it had a timing chain and a timing belt. It was an Olds Cutlass with a 3.4 DOHC motor but it was derived from an old pushrod design. So the original timing chain was still present and it turned an intermediate shaft that ran a belt up to the V6 heads.

I didn't realize my LS had a timing chain when I bought it. I misunderstood the info and saw the part where they highlighted the chain drive but didn't know it only applied to the turbo motor.
That would the LQ1 motor. Not a whole lot of torque down low, but 215hp and 225lb-ft when it revved up. A huge PITA to work on as it cramped the engine bay pretty badly. An alternator replacement could be done in no less than 6 hours if you knew exactly what you were doing. All of those made on or after 1993 were interference engines, while those made before were non-interference engines.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That would the LQ1 motor. Not a whole lot of torque down low, but 215hp and 225lb-ft when it revved up. A huge PITA to work on as it cramped the engine bay pretty badly. An alternator replacement could be done in no less than 6 hours if you knew exactly what you were doing. All of those made on or after 1993 were interference engines, while those made before were non-interference engines.
Alternator on those can be done in a couple hours if the bolts on the back of the subframe will come out. Seen it done multiple times. GM released the revised procedure in November 1996. Source.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The chain on my 2.2 ecotec finally went out after the chain tensioner went at 147,000 miles and was banging the valves off the cylinders .....it was totally junked afterwards. Other than that the 2.2 was a pretty peppy motor, debating if I should sell or rebuild my cobalt for a track car/project car or just use the Cruze.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.