Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,793 Posts
Several that have removed their camshaft covers (for the failed PCV valve) have noticed that their timing chain guide bolts at the top have backed out slightly. But unlike other GM motors of recent design, these 1.4T's have had no slop or other issues with timing chains upwards of 100-200K miles on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Several that have removed their camshaft covers (for the failed PCV valve) have noticed that their timing chain guide bolts at the top have backed out slightly. But unlike other GM motors of recent design, these 1.4T's have had no slop or other issues with timing chains upwards of 100-200K miles on them.
Thank you. I think this was my issue. 🤞 The same bolts were lose. Sounded like my lifters or rod was messed up. Thought major engine damage. Pulled the valve cover off and tighten them. Drove a few miles. Seems back to normal. I'll know for sure driving to and from work tomorrow. Thank you. Save me a few hundred dollars I'm sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you @jblackburn
This was the case for me also.

My 2011 Holden (Austraila) Cruze JH 1.4 Turbo had developed this strange ticking noise after 190,000km. Original owner.
It sounded like the lifters, rods or tappets were failing or were out of timing. Really loud and distinct compared to the constant noise the fuel injectors make or even that of the rods. The sound also altered depending on how you were driving. Ie: accelerating vs cruising. It would get louder under acceleration then almost disapear whilst cruising or sitting at low rpm. It was litterally the chattering of the timing chain vibrating away on the plastic guide. This guide also acts as a lubricator for the chain. So if you have a strange ticking sort of noise, check and fix. I have little doubt it will be an overpriced, but necessary piece of plastic.

I removed and cleaned the bolts, cleaned up the oil that had filled the holes and around the timing chain guide using cotton buds (cotton ear swabs). Placed a little Loctite blue on each bolt and torque into place.

The noise was gone on startup.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
2013 LT A14NET
26 Posts
Avoiding soot in the oil is paramount to reduce timing chain stretch causing the engine to rattle at idle first and then get worse with revs till it nukes it. Here's a YT video explains why Fuel Dilution and soot will ruin your t-chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts