Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Timing chain cover leak

11917 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  mjb
After pressure testing my intake. I finally found the exact spot I had the oil leak on the front back side of engine. The timing chain cover is leaking by the alternator.

I found a manual in doing this but I was wondering if anyone had done this. Do you actually require the special tools for timing the engine. Or is there any tricks to doing this without them.

I would rather complete this myself instead of paying dealer 1200$ Seems a bit much to me I would guess probably about 3-5 hour job.?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
307 Posts
I’ll be keeping up on this as I found mine leaking oil in the same spot while changing the oil on Thursday.

· Registered
4,032 Posts
All your doing is pull off the cover to replace the gasket. There shouldn't be any disassembly of anything timing as the cover has to come off to get to the timing.

I could be wrong with todays engines but that's generally speaking.

· Registered
2012 Eco Auto
49 Posts
I have noticed my engine cover leaking in multiple spots as well. I have found that the bolts were loose, just needed to be torqued down. The leaks have stopped on mine. Might be worth the effort before replacing gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.