Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:hmy: hopefully GM puts some heavy duty parts in there for the timing chain. The chain is on the transmisson side of the engine.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
No its not, I think someone is pulling your leg. The timing chain is located on the front(passenger side) of the engine, behind the water pump under the timing cover. would be kinda hard to have a flywheel for the transmission to bolt to if the timing chain was in the way wouldn't it? There is a cut away of the gen 2 engine on this page below, you can clearly see where the timing chain is located, Gen 1 was in the same location.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...ovation/powertrain/0624-cruze-powertrain.html

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
:eek:hmy: hopefully GM puts some heavy duty parts in there for the timing chain. The chain is on the transmisson side of the engine.
Didn't you tell us that you are a dealership technician?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
No its not, I think someone is pulling your leg. The timing chain is located on the front(passenger side) of the engine, behind the water pump under the timing cover. would be kinda hard to have a flywheel for the transmission to bolt to if the timing chain was in the way wouldn't it? There is a cut away of the gen 2 engine on this page below, you can clearly see where the timing chain is located, Gen 1 was in the same location.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...ovation/powertrain/0624-cruze-powertrain.html
I'm going to guess you are unaware this is discussing the new diesel.

The new diesel timing chain is located between trans and engine.......I hope the corporation has learned its lessons well regarding chains and tensioners. Think 3.6 V-6 for latest example.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I'm going to guess you are unaware this is discussing the new diesel.

The new diesel timing chain is located between trans and engine.......I hope the corporation has learned its lessons well regarding chains and tensioners. Think 3.6 V-6 for latest example.

Rob
Nope, I will always keep making this mistake from time to time because the website doesn't have DIESEL in the titles of DIESEL topics like it should. I come to the website, scroll down to recent threads, only way to even see its a diesel topic is to check the forum heading at the top of the thread(after you already loaded the topic).

If the website required diesel topics to have the word diesel in the thread title, this issue would be eliminated Since I would not even click on any of those threads.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Nope, I will always keep making this mistake from time to time because the website doesn't have DIESEL in the titles of DIESEL topics like it should. I come to the website, scroll down to recent threads, only way to even see its a diesel topic is to check the forum heading at the top of the thread(after you already loaded the topic).

If the website required diesel topics to have the word diesel in the thread title, this issue would be eliminated Since I would not even click on any of those threads.
Yep, happens to me from time to time too.
I do, however, like to review the diesel posts just to see what is going on and, of course, the moderator hat requires I look at everything.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Yikes that seems like a very poor location for that, can't even inspect it easily. If needs replacement would be more expensive than replacing the belt on gen 1 diesel. Labor to replace would be the lion share of the cost.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,770 Posts
It's done to reduce noise to further the Whisperdiesel concept.

At least it's easier to get at than Audi's "lifetime" timing chains on the S-series V8s which they promptly put on the back of the engine because it didn't need to be serviced like the previous V8's timing belt - until it did, because its German.

One of my buddies just sold his S4 because of that - he was coming up on needing it replaced, and the lowest quote was $7,000, as the engine needs to be pulled.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yes the timing CHAIN is on the back of the engine on the new 1.6L Diesel engine, but it is a CHAIN and hopefully will last the life of the engine. Pulling the transmission to access the chain or pulling the engine really should not be that hard either... I would rather have a timing chain than a belt no matter where it is placed, so I am happy with the placement.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
I've heard some fairly quiet timing chain motors at idle...in fact, the new 1.4 is pretty quiet. Heck, you could just add more insulation on the cover if that was a key selling point.

Hopefully they've nailed that tensioner and guide design down. I have yet to hear of a chain issue on the 1st gen 1.4, but their designs don't have a great timing chain history with the 2.2 and 3.6 issues.

Is the water pump still belt-driven as it is on the current Cruzens? After Ford's issues with a chain-driven WP inside the V6 engines, I'm not sure that I'd want one of those either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
GM's Saturn division made timing chains with excellent longevity. Hopefully those engineers were on this design ;)

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
We are running an article on the 1.6L diesel engine in our next issue. I just went through all the photos again and I can't see a water pump at all on the cutaway engine GM had on display... I do not know where the water pump is on this new engine. I could see it being gear driven off the crank or cam in one way or another like the Duramax or LT1 small block of the 90s.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Reactions: jblackburn

·
Registered
576 Posts

I guess having this at the top doesn't help. lol

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

By your logic, every topic would be required to have specific details in it, not just diesel or not. Very impractical. Probably the best solution for you is to browse the forums by the areas you are interested in. That way you can avoid looking at the diesel topics, or having to load the message to see what area it's in. I've never used a handheld device on this forum so i am not too familiar with how it works.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
When i saw the cutaway engine in Detroit, it looked like there were plastic guide rails (if that's what they are called). i am not sure if that signals future issues or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A lot of very long lived timing chain designs use plastic guides over a metal structure. Teflon and other temperature-stable, self lubricating plastics are pretty neat materials.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,770 Posts
Yup, pretty much most modern engines use plastic chain guides/tensioners.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
By your logic, every topic would be required to have specific details in it, not just diesel or not. Very impractical.
Other forums that I frequent have no issue tagging a specific category's this way. I'm not the only one who makes this mistake from time to time, and it ONLY effects diesel topics. Since diesel cruze only accounts for something like 2% of the production overall, it would only be the diesel topics that SHOULD have DIESEL tag in the topic title. Example, I read an interesting topic title on the recent thread list, I click on it and of course start reading.... No where in the thread itself does the OP mention diesel, and the only way I would know is to check which forum it was posted in every single time.

How many of you click on a topic and start reading the ads, other forum links, ect before the post? None I suspect. Catchy title is ALL you can see in the recent list, so adding DIESEL to the topic title would make diesel specific topics stand out and be obvious before anyone even clicked on them.

Probably the best solution for you is to browse the forums by the areas you are interested in. That way you can avoid looking at the diesel topics, or having to load the message to see what area it's in. I've never used a handheld device on this forum so i am not too familiar with how it works.
I am on a PC, not sure why you assumed I was on a phone or tablet using the crappy app. I load cruzetalk website and scroll down to the recent topics on the main page, by your logic this feature should not even be there. No way I should be forced to search though tons of old posts just to not see topics on a super low production car. Geez I can't believe how ridiculous some of the admin responses are on here.....

I can see why people ask to be banned.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,983 Posts
Other forums that I frequent have no issue tagging a specific category's this way. I'm not the only one who makes this mistake from time to time, and it ONLY effects diesel topics. Since diesel cruze only accounts for something like 2% of the production overall, it would only be the diesel topics that SHOULD have DIESEL tag in the topic title. Example, I read an interesting topic title on the recent thread list, I click on it and of course start reading.... No where in the thread itself does the OP mention diesel, and the only way I would know is to check which forum it was posted in every single time.

How many of you click on a topic and start reading the ads, other forum links, ect before the post? None I suspect. Catchy title is ALL you can see in the recent list, so adding DIESEL to the topic title would make diesel specific topics stand out and be obvious before anyone even clicked on them.

I am on a PC, not sure why you assumed I was on a phone or tablet using the crappy app. I load cruzetalk website and scroll down to the recent topics on the main page, by your logic this feature should not even be there. No way I should be forced to search though tons of old posts just to not see topics on a super low production car. Geez I can't believe how ridiculous some of the admin responses are on here.....

I can see why people ask to be banned.
Let it go.

It's on the breadcrumbs at the top of the page, as well as the right on "new topics". That's all there really needs to be...having the word "diesel" in every Diesel post is unnecessary.

Here

and here:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts