Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do tint laws bother anyone as much as they bug me?
Many of my friends have been pulled over for tint and had to get it removed.
I have been pulled over once by a very nice state police officer that gave me a pleasant warning.
I understand the intent behind the law of being able to see the person operating the vehicle and keeping the officer safe
But I do believe it makes my car look very cool and on sunny days it really is enjoyable

Im curious to hear everyone's input

20140702_115703.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
legal tint is there for a reason so you can see. If you can put illegal tint on window don't you think some dealers/manufactures would do this just to mark up there cars? I do believe they should give heavy fines for this & even more heavier fines for tinted rear tail lights IMO :signs053:

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I believe its a joke....like how traffic and speed cameras "save lives"

If tint was so awful bad...why do so many police cars have super dark limo tint on everything but the windshield. Many times the same ones driven by the same cops giving you a ticket for your significantly less dark film.

And I see many Virginia police cars, State AND local police with tint so dark you can't see in it at all at 12 noon on a sunny day.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I believe its a joke....like how traffic and speed cameras "save lives"

If tint was so awful bad...why do so many police cars have super dark limo tint on everything but the windshield. Many times the same ones driven by the same cops giving you a ticket for your significantly less dark film.

And I see many Virginia police cars, State AND local police with tint so dark you can't see in it at all at 12 noon on a sunny day.
^^^ good point on the cop cars not so much on traffic cameras. I know I drive with a dvr camera for years & I seen some stupid stuff on mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All tinting is illegal in the people's republic of NY. I have tinted all of my owned cars (except my convertible). The darker the better, but not too dark on my rear window and never on the windshield. I have been pulled over and gone through traffic stops. I drop all of my windows if an officer come up to my car. It's important for me to make any LEO feel comfortable as he approaches. None have ever mentioned the tinting. I'm always respectful have never had an issue. I know a bunch of folks who have specifically been stopped for tinting. Maybe I'm lucky, I don't know!

I personally like the look, but more so, I find it very helpful with my light sensitive eyes.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
^^^ good point on the cop cars not so much on traffic cameras. I know I drive with a dvr camera for years & I seen some stupid stuff on mine.
Look at the DC traffic camera situation its ALL about extracting as much money from people as they can. if their revenue stream drops because people get smart..they are bellyaching about the loss in money. Its always about money....just like traffic tickets....its illegal o have ticket quotas most places. But get friendly with a cop and they will tell you what happens if they don't meet their quota's for them. Or if they publically verify the illegal ticket quotas.

Virginia see this in both DC and Marylnd and that's why they actually made speed cameras illegal. And severely limited red light cameras under the law.

If its NOT about money....make the fines $15 and give3 points. Instead of $100+ and no points. Plus there is a well documented history at least locally to me with speed and traffic cameras improperly calibrated..illegally installed, etc....

Also, using DC as an example if t was about safety crack down on jaywalking (so bad its impossible to make a turn WITH the light and without pedestrians in the crosswalk during daylight hours because they ignore the don't walk signs and the 90% of bicyclists that ride on sidewalks..against traffic, blow through redlights etc...but they don't and won't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live in PA, I've been stopped once for tint and lesson learned. When an officer hits the lights:
1) Pull over as far off the road as possible.
2) Drop all windows immediately.
3) Have all your papers ready for them when they approach your vehicle.
The harder you make their life, the harder they'll make yours.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I live in PA, I've been stopped once for tint and lesson learned. When an officer hits the lights:
1) Pull over as far off the road as possible.
2) Drop all windows immediately.
3) Have all your papers ready for them when they approach your vehicle.
The harder you make their life, the harder they'll make yours.
I also suggest waiting until they get to your car before going after papers and tell them you are reaching for them and where, wallet, glovebox etc, after they ask for them.. It might look like you hare hiding stuff or going for a weapon. Particularly at night if it requires much movement.

Also add after lowering windows, turn car off. You are less likely to bolt if the car is off. Anything that won't put them on the defensive. Avoid sarcasm or hostile words. The less of a threat you are perceived as, the easier it will go for everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
I understand the intent behind the law of being able to see the person operating the vehicle and keeping the officer safe
But I do believe it makes my car look very cool and on sunny days it really is enjoyable
Let's see. Safety or looking cool? Which way should we go? Let me think about this .....

·
Registered
574 Posts
In Michigan you are not supposed to have tint on the front windows (driver, passenger, windshield). Although if you only have the 35% the cops usually wont pull you over for it. I have had friends with 5% who had to take it off, while others had been pulled over but the cops said nothing to them.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
257.709 Windshields and windows; prohibitions; rearview mirrors; exceptions; windshield wipers; exemption; hot air windshield defroster or electrically heated windshield or other device; windshield device; definitions.Sec. 709.
(1) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with any of the following:
(a) A sign, poster, nontransparent material, window application, reflective film, or nonreflective film upon or in the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger, or the sidewings adjacent to and forward of the driver or front passenger, except that a tinted film may be used along the top edge of the windshield and the side windows or sidewings immediately adjacent to the driver or front passenger if the material does not extend more than 4 inches from the top of the windshield, or lower than the shade band, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.
(b) A rear window or side window to the rear of the driver composed of, covered by, or treated with a material that creates a total solar reflectance of 35% or more in the visible light range, including a silver or gold reflective film.
(c) An object that obstructs the vision of the driver of the vehicle, except as authorized by law.
(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle if driver visibility through the rear window is obstructed, unless the vehicle is equipped with 2 rearview mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the operator has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.
(3) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) The use of draperies, louvers, or other special window treatments, except those specifically designated in this section, on the rear window, or a side window to the rear of the driver if the vehicle is equipped with 2 outside rearview mirrors, 1 on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.
(b) The use of a nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen, or other decorative window application on the rear window or a side window to the rear of the driver.
(c) The placement of a necessary certificate or sticker that does not obstruct the driver's clear view of the roadway or an intersecting roadway.
(d) A vehicle registered in another state, territory, commonwealth of the United States, or another country or province.
(e) A special window treatment or application determined necessary by a physician or optometrist, for the protection of a person who is light sensitive or photosensitive, if the owner or operator of a motor vehicle has in possession a letter signed by a physician or optometrist, indicating that the special window treatment or application is a medical necessity. However, the special window treatment or application shall not interfere with or obstruct the driver's clear vision of the highway or an intersecting highway.

My suggestion is to go a dermatologist and ask for a tint waiver to protect yourself from skin cancer. Any derm will write it for you.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Window tints on police cars are an officer safety issue because it makes it harder to be a target.

Window tints on civilian cars are also an officer safety issue because police cannot see what an operator of a vehicle is reaching for.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
The couple times I've been pulled over in my Cruze, I make sure I roll down all 4 windows, to show some courtesy to the officer.

I've never had an officer make a comment about my illegal tint (though it's also not limo dark).

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
Window tints on police cars are an officer safety issue because it makes it harder to be a target.

Window tints on civilian cars are also an officer safety issue because police cannot see what an operator of a vehicle is reaching for.
Bull.....they already used the excuse of the operator of the vehicles not being able to see unobstructed. Which when called out on it that the cop can't see out either, then using other excuses turns to into a BS argument...just like when you got caught doing something as a kid...every other excuse that follows is automatically considered BS too. Same ting with the Global warming scam invented by Al Gore to make money since he couldn't prove he invented he internet like he claimed to patent it....every excuse they have dreamed up has been proven wrong....and now they just sound desperately trying to save face.

If that was the real reason, SUV's and Limousines wouldn't be exempted. SUV's are a favorite of the thug crowd. And can hold and hide a LOT more than a car. That's something for everyone to think about for a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
If that was the real reason, SUV's and Limousines wouldn't be exempted. SUV's are a favorite of the thug crowd. And can hold and hide a LOT more than a car. That's something for everyone to think about for a bit.
Most states allow factory tint to be exempt. this is why mini vans and SUVs all can have 20% rear windows and still be legal. This does leave me questioning why no cars ever have factory installed dark tint on the rear windows? Obviously allot of people want darker tint, why not give the consumer what they want & also help them bypass these stupid laws?

I can understand states rights caused these differences in the laws everywhere, by allowing such differences it makes following the law hard to do. Think for a second, just because your from another state doesn't mean your exempt from following the traffic laws in the state your travelling in..... That means no matter what you better not break the tint law ANYWHERE you might drive.

Tint Laws

1 - 20 of 27 Posts