Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Tints in Illinois

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  zimmer.rich 
#1 ·
So... I have been throwing around the idea of getting tints with part of my tax return, I am just wondering if anyone knows the Illinois law for the legal percentage allowed on tints? I looked online... but I keep getting different answers.

Thanks to anyone who can answer :)

#4 ·
Law summary

On 10/30/09 bill HB3325 was passed allowing passenger vehicles to
have window tint on both front windows. Here’s the breakdown:

• up to 35% for front and rear windows
  • 30-35% in the rear and up to 50% front
  • If rear windows are tinted below 30%, front windows cannot have tint.
    Vehicles equipped with factory rear tint are allowed to have
    up to 50% tint for front windows.
Full law

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB3325

#9 ·
Just get what you want and pray they leave you alone.

If you get pulled over roll your windows down, not to hide the tint, but to make it convenient for the officer to see in your vehicle, if you give him a reason to dislike the tint, he'll probably write you a ticket for it.

#10 ·
Dont worry, In the western ny area I had 35 up front and 20 on rear half on my cobalt and had many interactions with the popo and they didn't question the tint a bit. I just make sure if I get pulled over I roll the window all the way down so they don't see the film when they walk up to the car to make it extremely obvious I have tint. In NY it's illegal to tint your windows at all except the back window you can tint as dark as you want. I don't have any tickets after driving around for about 3 years with the tint on. It's not that big of a deal as long as its light enough for them to see in the front windows.

#11 ·
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN NEW YORK?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In New York, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield - Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows - Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window - Any darkness can be used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.