Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I'm takin a 3,500 mile trip next month and I'm wondering what are some things I can do to get optimum fuel mileage? I'll also be driving through the Arizona desert and the Rockies. Any advice on things I should do for altitude change? Should I run regular fuel or 89 octane? Thanks in advance.

2013 eco manual btw

·
Registered
183 Posts
As far as driving goes, take it easy and don't let the car behind you pressure you into going faster than you want, keep a steady speed and the cruze will do the rest.
I suggest maybe a small cushion for your arse because I took a drive to orlando 2 weeks ago and let me tell you the only thing that bothered me was getting riggor mortis on my ass after sitting still for so **** long xD

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha oh great. Maybe there's some memory foam cushions somewhere. Lol it's a 22 hour drive where my first destination is so ill consider that. Thanks for the tip.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
As far as driving goes, take it easy and don't let the car behind you pressure you into going faster than you want, keep a steady speed and the cruze will do the rest.
I suggest maybe a small cushion for your arse because I took a drive to orlando 2 weeks ago and let me tell you the only thing that bothered me was getting riggor mortis on my ass after sitting still for so **** long xD
I think my ass still hurts from that long drive to Sarasota as well.

OP:

1) Keep it at speed limit and if you can 5 less, stay on the left lane and just cruise along.
2) If you see a car infront of you brake or go slower, anticipate this and don't brake.
3) I notice the higher the octane the better MPG i yield
4) Cushion for your ass
5) Pee when it says Next stop 10000 miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol my 6 year old daughter will probably have to pee every 2 hours. The wife probably every 5. Me, I'll go when I get there!! Haha

have you ran 91 octane and if so was the mpg significantly higher vs 89?

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
1 or 2 MPG gain. It isn't alot, but i hate how my car runs on 87 and 89. Feels rough and my tanks lasts about 30 miles less...

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I'd run 91+ octane if it's not too outrageous over 89. It'll help power and fuel economy going through the mountains.

Make sure your tires are inflated properly (I like 45 PSI front, 43 PSI rear for my OEM Goodyears), the oil level is topped off (make sure to check it every so often), and keep it below 75 mph. The best fuel economy is at about 55 mph, but your wife and baby will kill you at that speed.

There's a lot of other good advice in this thread. Between it all, you should get there in good spirits and with 40+ mpg.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,304 Posts
The 1.4 runs alright on 89 with all the MPG benefits of higher octane. Though if you'll be climbing a crap ton of hills with the AC on, go for 91 octane for the hilly parts and switch to the cheaper stuff for the flat areas.

Bring some good tunes and plan your stops for what you want to accomplish in a day's driving. Don't forget to make a few detours to see cool things along the way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd run 91+ octane if it's not too outrageous over 89. It'll help power and fuel economy going through the mountains.

Make sure your tires are inflated properly (I like 45 PSI front, 43 PSI rear for my OEM Goodyears), the oil level is topped off (make sure to check it every so often), and keep it below 75 mph. The best fuel economy is at about 55 mph, but your wife and baby will kill you at that speed.

There's a lot of other good advice in this thread. Between it all, you should get there in good spirits and with 40+ mpg.
Awesome thanks for that. I'll be sure to bump my psi up. I think I'm currently running 39

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1.4 runs alright on 89 with all the MPG benefits of higher octane. Though if you'll be climbing a crap ton of hills with the AC on, go for 91 octane for the hilly parts and switch to the cheaper stuff for the flat areas.

Bring some good tunes and plan your stops for what you want to accomplish in a day's driving. Don't forget to make a few detours to see cool things along the way.
Thanks that will save me a few bucks. More money for sightseeing. Lol of course were gonna make a few stops along the way. Maybe even see a couple sweet Cruzes along the way.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
You may see a lot of rentals. Try and don't flash your lights. I've done this a dozen times, and the drivers usually get scared. Because they aren't the owners lol

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Having driven up I-70 west of Denver on regular, I can safely say run premium the entire way. Your poor car will feel like it's slipping and missing on regular because of the ignition timing being pulled so heavily.

Don't panic when you have to use 4th and 3rd gear going up. You'll get almost all of your fuel economy back on the way down - you'll still be in 3rd gear by the way because the ECO MT has zero engine braking. 3rd will take you to somewhere over 80 MPH so don't worry about red lining your engine. The ECO MT is one of the few cars that can actually accelerate up the side of a mountain, so don't worry. Also, if you see an RV that says "RV America" stay away from it. It's a flat-lander who doesn't know how to drive an RV in the mountains.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@kermit I try not to flash anyways, I don't like when people do it to me so I try not to unless I feel they really have their brights on.

@Arsmitty I'm exited to try the cruze out on a Lon trip. I have an equinox too but I feel like I will save a lot more money in gas plus the cruze is way more fun to drive. Lol

@obermd are these trannys pretty durable for that matter? I don't want to get home and have any problems. I know comin down will make up for the gas mileage, but for the mountains part of the trip I wanna make sure the cruze will be able to handle it. I'm gonna run premium after Phoenix so maybe that will help with the power going up. And thanks for letting me know about the RV. I'll be sure to pass it when the lanes open up. Haha

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hey fellas, I'm takin a 3,500 mile trip next month and I'm wondering what are some things I can do to get optimum fuel mileage? I'll also be driving through the Arizona desert and the Rockies. Any advice on things I should do for altitude change? Should I run regular fuel or 89 octane? Thanks in advance.

2013 eco manual btw
Not related with the MPG, but I think very important: have a spare tire with you and don’t rely on the garbage inflator kit. I see that you have the ECO MT (me too) and I don’t think the 2013 model come out with the spare tire. Personally I’d like to have the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel as spare tire like in Europe but the donut is good too. Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not related with the MPG, but I think very important: have a spare tire with you and don’t rely on the garbage inflator kit. I see that you have the ECO MT (me too) and I don’t think the 2013 model come out with the spare tire. Personally I’d like to have the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel as spare tire like in Europe but the donut is good too. Good luck!
Aha yes! That's what I was thinking of. I was thinking earlier and lost my thought. I have a set of spare steelie wheels and I was gonna throw a tire on one for a spare. My spares are 16s though. I'll have to figure out what size tire will work best.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
My spares are 16s though. I'll have to figure out what size tire will work best.
I put a 205/65/16 on my 16" Steelie, Its supposed to be as close to the stock Goodyear and 17" rim.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
I could see where a spare would be nice peace of mind roaming the western US where exits are far apart, and services are even further. Although limping along at 50 mph on a donut vs. waiting hours for a flatbed to reach you is debatable on which is the purer form of torture.

The manual transmission is generally a hardy piece of kit. If you wanted to be super ultra cautious, changing the fluid and making sure it's filled to the right level before setting off couldn't hurt anything. Some earlier Cruzes had problems related to too little fluid in the manual transmission. From what I understand, the only way to determine if the 2013's transmission was filled correctly is to drain the old fluid and measure it. The older models had a check plug that got eliminated by MY 2013. It should be right around 2 quarts.

For a full-size spare, a 215/60-16 is the exact same outside diameter as the 215/55-17 on the Eco rim. I have snow tires in the 215/60-16 size, and my speedometer correlates exactly to my GPS with both sizes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I could see where a spare would be nice peace of mind roaming the western US where exits are far apart, and services are even further. Although limping along at 50 mph on a donut vs. waiting hours for a flatbed to reach you is debatable on which is the purer form of torture.

The manual transmission is generally a hardy piece of kit. If you wanted to be super ultra cautious, changing the fluid and making sure it's filled to the right level before setting off couldn't hurt anything. Some earlier Cruzes had problems related to too little fluid in the manual transmission. From what I understand, the only way to determine if the 2013's transmission was filled correctly is to drain the old fluid and measure it. The older models had a check plug that got eliminated by MY 2013. It should be right around 2 quarts.

For a full-size spare, a 215/60-16 is the exact same outside diameter as the 215/55-17 on the Eco rim. I have snow tires in the 215/60-16 size, and my speedometer correlates exactly to my GPS with both sizes.
I only have 3300 miles on my car. I don't think I need to change the fluid do I?
and that's awesome that you have the info for the 16 inch rim size. Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts