Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cruzers -

I would like to import my 2012 Cruze LTZ to the USA from Canada, but am running into all sorts of problems. I requested and received a compliance letter from GM Canada, that states the car complies with all Canadian safety standards, but does not comply with all American safety standards (FMVSS). It complies with all EPA standards.

In terms of the compliance letter, it does not state what exact FMVSS standards my Cruze doesn't comply to. When I called back to GM Compliance, they were adamant that they could not tell me specifically what the standards were, only that they are only obliged to write that the car doesn't comply with all FMVSS. The woman on the phone said one of the standards was the air bag label (which has to be in text and not a picture, and which can easily be changed), and the lack of a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). I kept saying how I should have the right to know what the standards of non-compliance are, but the usual answer from her and her supervisor was that is the template letter they use and I can't get any more information. How annoying.

My car does have a TPMS, but not a specific one that shows you, on a live display, what the tire pressure is for each tire. It only goes off (illuminates) when there is low tire pressure. I contacted a registered importer, who said I need to have the TPMS in order to import it to the USA.

So, I am in a bind - I like my car, want to continue driving it, and don't want to have to sell it here in Canada. Then again, I need the car to pass state safety tests down in the USA, and if it doesn't have a TPMS, it may not, so I would run into other problems.

Does anyone know if the Canadian Cruze (manufactured in Ohio, but I assume for the Canadian market) has a TPMS already installed? Is it just a matter of installing the system onto the car computer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I really doubt that a state safety check is going to spot these issues. Most of those safety checks are more like 4 tires that are not bald, lights work, wiper works, horn works, etc.

The only thing is if your VIN sets off a flag when it comes time to register the car.

There may also be an issue when it comes time to service the car. I've noticed that some of he Canadian Cruzes have different DICs which could pose a parts challenge or programming challenge for the US dealers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.