Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My 16" snow tire combo came in for my Cruze today from Tire Rack. I ended up getting 215/60-16 Continental ExtremeWinterContact tires on their aftermarket steel wheels. I've attached some pictures of them. Though I may run them just as they are, they do appear to be a 100% ripoff of the original GM wheels.

Tire rack also sends a set of lug nuts that they are saying you must use. They even say this if you say you have an LS, which seems kind of strange. When comparing to a external thread lug nut like you would use for hubcaps (this particular one is from a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme), the seat taper is the same (appears to be 45 degrees). I appreciate this as I would not have used my closed end lug nuts in the winter anyway, but I think you can just buy some stock LS lugs and bolt the hubcaps right on. Maybe someone else who has the hubcaps can confirm my suspicions that there is no reason that you cannot use the hubcaps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even funnier is that one of the wheels is actually stamped "GM" in the center, what appears to be Austem, KOR, etc between the lugs. I think the original GM supplier is making these, they just aren't supposed to say GM on them.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Nice combo! I've heard nice things about the Conti EWC's.

How much did that set you back?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These tires are pretty good, I have another set for my Colorado and they worked extremely well on that while not being quite as bad handling or loud as other snow tires I've had to deal with on a dry road.

I work for Continental in their brake division so I get a few sets of tires a year on discount. It was about $815 delivered with the TPMS sensors...that included their free mounting and balancing. For someone who lives in SE MI or somewhat near a Tire Rack location, it would be about $985 delivered for this setup.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stuck one on the car real quick today to decide if I wanted to get hubcaps or not. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tire rack also sends a set of lug nuts that they are saying you must use.
I would strongly suggest you use them.
Tire rack would not manufacture or include them in their product without reason. It would not be cost effective. Manufactures do not give away stuff, they cover their butt.
If you don't use the lug nuts they are saying you must use and something goes wrong, it is your fault because you did not use their product correctly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire rack also sends a set of lug nuts that they are saying you must use.
I would strongly suggest you use them.
Tire rack would not manufacture or include them in their product without reason. It would not be cost effective. Manufactures do not give away stuff, they cover their butt.
If you don't use the lug nuts they are saying you must use and something goes wrong, it is your fault because you did not use their product correctly.
I'd like to know if the lettering i found inside of the one wheel marked "GM" is the same as the one on an LS. If that was the case there's no reason why you couldn't use the factory style open end lug nuts. Now, the wheels may be thinner than that of the aluminum rims and the spare wheel, so the stud may bottom out on the LT/LTZ/ECO closed end lugs. Unless I decide to use some OEM hubcaps, I'll be using their lug nuts. Both sets of lug nuts are 45 degree tapered seat. I'll bet Tire Rack spent a whole $2 on those nuts. Its a lot better for them to send them for CYA reasons than deal with phone calls of people damaging their closed end lug nuts or having the wheels get loose and get messed up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is your choice I was thinking more along the lines of metal strengths. Is one made to hold a metal wheel and the other made to hold alum wheel? Maybe one nut has been heat or cold treated to obtain a certain strength and the other not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The external thread lug nut that I show above is the same part number clear back to I think 1988. These nuts were used on the aluminum wheels with the black or silver plastic caps and also the steel wheels with the bolt on wheelcovers. My mom's 09 Malibu 1LT uses these nuts as well. In any case, the spare wheel is also steel and they don't give you extra lug nuts for that.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
I've never had an issue swapping lug nuts with different material wheels. My alloy wheels on my 95 regal came off an 08 Audi A4 Sport and were drilled out and machined, and had steel inserts pressed in to fit the 5x115 bolt pattern, and I used the same lug nuts. I wouldn't stress the lug nuts at all.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts