Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just looking for somw confirmation and discussion regarding my tire plans.

I have OEM steelies that are bald.

I don't really want to spend money for good tires on such a heavy and ugly rim... ok it's because I don't like hubcaps, who does?

Anyway I ound a guy on Craigslist with barely used tires on his OEM 15" Sonic alloys.

Nice clean look, tires and rims are pretty much mint. He is asking 550 but I may talk him down a little, but not counting on it.

I know that the sonic is 5x105 just like the cruze, so they will bolt on no problem.

The thing is, my steelies are 16", and I'm pretty certain the tires on the sonic 15"s aren't big enough to make up the difference. I think they are also a little narrower.

If I buy these rims with the tires they will last probably 30k miles before needing replacement, at that time could I get a larger tire to take up some of my wheel well space, or am I stuck with the shorter tire?

What you guys think?

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
I think Eddy is trying to be helpful ..

If your question is refering to whether it is possible to make up the lost height from utilizing a smaller diameter wheel by purchasing a taller tire ..well then Good Luck at the tyre store !

Your in LA go Aftermarket .

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Threads merged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So confused.

I mean yeah i'm in LA, I found some nice 20" chrome rims drilled 5x105, but uh, it isn't really my style... They were ridiculous, baller. I certainly don't want to spend the money on new rims and tires, especially since they would, 99 times out of 100, need to be custom drills, 5x105 is just not common.

Part of the appeal of buying used rims with tires on them is the massive savings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Er wait...

195/65r15 The Sonic 15" alloys with stock tires are an overall diameter of 634mm
215/60R16 My stock steels and tires are at 664mm

That is an overall difference of 30mm... is that right? Seems like a large difference.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Er wait...
195/65r15 The Sonic 15" alloys with stock tires are an overall diameter of 634mm
215/60R16 My stock steels and tires are at 664mm

That is an overall difference of 30mm... is that right? Seems like a large difference.
It is.

4.5% rotational difference.

Your spedometer says 65 mph - you're actually travelling 61.75 mph.

Your odometer says that you reached the end of your 60,000 mile warranty - but you only travelled 57,000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts