Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you diesel owners noticed the innermost part of your tire wearing more than the rest of the tire? I just noticed this on my car. I am trying to gauge if "they all do that" or if it may have had to do with the time I had bad wheel bearings for a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
Not a diesel but my 1LT did this with my first set of tires, it was an alignment issue in the front. Looking at the rear tires on my cruze though they seems to tip in ever so slightly and the inner edge making a bit more contact with the ground.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,016 Posts
Our rear wheels are cambered a little bit under 2 degrees, so a slight amount of additional wear to the inner edge would make sense. The 3 degrees of rear camber on my Grand Prix would just eat inner edges to death, but the 1.5-2 degrees we have doesn't seem to be as destructive. I could also see how the bad bearing could enhance this wear pattern.

When I had my factory tires, I saw that both edges were wearing slightly faster than the centers. I attributed this to the camber when the tires were on the rear and hard turns wearing the outer edge when they were on the front. Mine were rotated every 6000 miles at my 4 free services, so they spent equal time on the front and rear of the vehicle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Try running a few extra pounds of air, I'm running mine at 42PSI now. On the second set at 48K, I ran my first set at 39PSI and had excessive wear on the outer and inner tire edges, that can be from alignment or low tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
The LH outer edge, in USA it would be the RH front tyre, is the one that cops the most wear because it is under the most strain when doing a U turn. I have 35k km on my original tyres and they still seem fair, but the outer LH front is showing signs it is wearing faster than the rest of the tyres.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no idea how many miles are on my original tires, but I would venture to guess at least 60K miles. My snow tires didn't seem to have this problem and I got 2 seasons out of them.

·
Banned
1,067 Posts
I don't have nearly enough miles on mine yet to notice anything at 4,200 miles

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine are completely even with 95%+ HWY miles. If you do mostly city driving the front outside edge would show more wear and a "feathering".
You probably need an alignment

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine are completely even with 95%+ HWY miles. If you do mostly city driving the front outside edge would show more wear and a "feathering".
You probably need an alignment
I have hit a few MAJOR potholes, so it would stand to reason that something was knocked out of whack at some point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My car did this exact thing. I noticed it by 10,000 miles. rotated them often to keep it even on all 4. Had an alignment done at 20K. (they didn't find any issues) at 55K most of the tire was 30% but the inside half inch was worn bald. Dealer didn't have an answer. Changed to Michelin since I had good luck with wear in the past on them.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny, but I didn't notice the same wear pattern on my snow tires.

I've been running about 42PSI year round.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I ran the front tires(I didn't rotate them) for around 50000 miles out of the 73000 miles I have on them and they are wearing on the inside band. The tire discounters said he sees this a lout because of the way the camber is set. the tires other than that still seem to have another 50000 left on them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Goodyear Assurance tires seem to wear excessively on the edges, at least all of the ones I have seen. I looked at a bunch of low mileage Volts before buying my diesel, and none of the tires were wearing right. I am aware that they are not the exact same tire, but something to think about.

·
10,685 Posts
On my 2nd set and my wear was pretty even up till I had a ball joint going for about a month or so. I got about 40k out of the 1st set but they were unsafe at about 36 in winter conditions compared to brand new. I ran 41 ps1 1st set I'm gonna bump these up to about 40 as well. Tried out 38 but not liking he mpg from it.

·
Administrator
15,612 Posts
~40k miles on the OEM goodyear tires and they've worn 100% evenly. I've kept a log of the tread depth measured to at least 1/64".

Always inflated to 51PSI and rotated every 3500 miles, with last two rotations being at 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Diesel, I have an off subject question for you. I'm getting ready to join the 50K club and have a brake question seeing how you seem to have the most miles here. When I rotate every 6K miles I see my brake pads are still like new with the chamfers still present. Have you had to do a brake job yet? Looks like they will last 100K +on tis car . I had an Accord that would eat pads and rotors in 25K miles so I'm very pleased with the brakes on the CTD.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Diesel, I have an off subject question for you. I'm getting ready to join the 50K club and have a brake question seeing how you seem to have the most miles here. When I rotate every 6K miles I see my brake pads are still like new with the chamfers still present. Have you had to do a brake job yet? Looks like they will last 100K +on tis car . I had an Accord that would eat pads and rotors in 25K miles so I'm very pleased with the brakes on the CTD.

118K miles and my brakes are still good. I, too am impressed with the brakes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts