Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I bought my '14 CTD with 31,000 miles, it now has 53,000 miles and I drive approximately 80% highway. The inner edge is excessively wearing so I had all four tires flipped on the rim. The remaining tread is very good so I want to maximize the tire life.

I would consider getting a 4-wheel alignment but I suspect they would only adjust the toe. The car drives straight so I do not know if the alignment is the problem. If it is true the camber can go out on these I would want that adjusted too.

Are there any nation wide auto centers that would do a 4-wheel alignment and actually adjust toe and camber if needed?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I bought my '14 CTD with 31,000 miles, it now has 53,000 miles and I drive approximately 80% highway. The inner edge is excessively wearing so I had all four tires flipped on the rim. The remaining tread is very good so I want to maximize the tire life.

I would consider getting a 4-wheel alignment but I suspect they would only adjust the toe. The car drives straight so I do not know if the alignment is the problem. If it is true the camber can go out on these I would want that adjusted too.

Are there any nation wide auto centers that would do a 4-wheel alignment and actually adjust toe and camber if needed?
Mine is a 15 diesel with 38k miles, I am getting mine aligned on Friday. Should fix the issue.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just to update my previous post, I put new tires on around 70k miles. I now have 123k and notice the inner edge is wearing unevenly again. I had the alignment checked and it's good. I run 38-40 PSI. I'm almost exclusively highway.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Just to update my previous post, I put new tires on around 70k miles. I now have 123k and notice the inner edge is wearing unevenly again. I had the alignment checked and it's good. I run 38-40 PSI. I'm almost exclusively highway.
38-40 psi seems a tad high, but that would cause excess wear in the center of the thread, not the shoulder.

Normally, the toe setting is the main factor in shoulder wear. You've taken it back, to the same shop, I presume? Have you taken it to a different alignment shop? Have the control arm bushings and ball joints been checked?

Do you by chance drive frequently on a road that has lots of crown in it, such as a worn, country road? Do you carry lots of weight in the car? How often have you rotated the tires?

Doug

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I just put new tires on. Adjusted all to 35.

When the tires warm up. They rise to 38 - 39.

Sounds like a toe out problem. Also. Have you been rotating?

·
Registered
517 Posts
38-40 psi seems a tad high, but that would cause excess wear in the center of the thread, not the shoulder.

Normally, the toe setting is the main factor in shoulder wear. You've taken it back, to the same shop, I presume? Have you taken it to a different alignment shop? Have the control arm bushings and ball joints been checked?

Do you by chance drive frequently on a road that has lots of crown in it, such as a worn, country road? Do you carry lots of weight in the car? How often have you rotated the tires?

Doug

The door sticker says 38 PSI. Tires are rotated regularly at 5-8k miles. I am almost exclusively freeway driving.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The door sticker says 38 PSI. Tires are rotated regularly at 5-8k miles. I am almost exclusively freeway driving.
Gee, and I thought 34 was high for a spec - I'm of the 28-32 generation :)

Seriously, if you're rotating them that often, and still getting excess shoulder wear, I'd try another alignment shop.

Doug

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have lifetime alignment with Firestone. However, I haven't taken mine in in over a year because the wear is spot on. I always rotate/balance at Discount Tire the same day I do oil change. I haven't kept a log of how long they have gone, but I am on my third set now at 135K Miles. I run until just before the tread warning markers and then change them. I don't like the risks with no spare :cool:

Reactions: 15cruzediesel

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine has worn tires on the inside edges every time and I've had several sets of tires. I'm at 188k now. I've had it aligned 2 times the 2nd time they adjusted the toe slightly although it was still within spec. Walmart was trying to give me a hard time about warranting the tires due to the wear on the inside edges. They said something has to be worn nm out or it's out of alignment. The alignment was done by a local dealer and I had them check the front end when the did the alignment and note it on the work order. Long story short I left wal mart with new (cheaper brand) tires for $110!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Took mine back in to another store. They said the alignment is still good. They flipped tires on the rims for me. I have 55,000 miles on the current set with 6/32 tread left (started with 10/32).

This place (same business, different branch) keeps telling me my struts need to be replaced every 50,000 miles (in their mind I should be about ready to put my 3rd set on). It's such a waste of money, parts, and energy to do that. The tires and struts are not showing any signs of bad struts (cupping, uneven tread face wear, bouncing more than once per bump, etc) yet they insist I need new ones. It seems to slip their mind that inner tire wear can be the result of something other than struts.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Want to see something disgusting? Tires have around 5/32 in the middle. This car did the same **** thing to the last set. I've had 3 alignments done (at different places) over the past 75k miles and they still wear out. This is from the drivers front. I should easily be able to hit 100k miles on this set it it wasn't for the excessive inner wear. Also included my alignment from 10k miles ago.

Does anyone know if the Diesel has a different setup for the front end than the gas 2011-15 Cruze?

IMG_0179 - Copy.JPG IMG_0181 - Copy.JPG

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have any of you diesel owners noticed the innermost part of your tire wearing more than the rest of the tire? I just noticed this on my car. I am trying to gauge if "they all do that" or if it may have had to do with the time I had bad wheel bearings for a bit.
My 2015 still has original tires with plenty of tread, care is over 60K miles, but I do run winter tires so the tires don't have the full 60K. I expect these will be replaced by age not wear given they are approaching the 6 year mark. Also, I run close to the tire recommended pressure, on the original OEM Good Years, that is 51PSI. In general I run the tire recommended pressure on all my vehicles that that helps them last much longer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My 2015 still has original tires with plenty of tread, care is over 60K miles, but I do run winter tires so the tires don't have the full 60K. I expect these will be replaced by age not wear given they are approaching the 6 year mark. Also, I run close to the tire recommended pressure, on the original OEM Good Years, that is 51PSI. In general I run the tire recommended pressure on all my vehicles that that helps them last much longer.
Man, there's no such thing as a tire recommended pressure. The pressure on the side wall is the maximum rated pressure.

Source - I sold tires for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,592 Posts
The "recommended pressure" would be what is on the sticker on the door - that's gonna be the manufacturer's specified tire pressure, which will be for the best "blend" of longevity, ride quality, road noise and fuel economy.

That said, I run ours pretty high - 46.5 psi on the Fuel Maxes for spring/summer/fall. Close to max, but don't quite want to go that high.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Man, there's no such thing as a tire recommended pressure. The pressure on the side wall is the maximum rated pressure.

Source - I sold tires for 3 years.
Correct, that tire max tire pressure also matches the tire maximum load capacity. If you are less than full capacity you can have less pressure and it will not harm the tire. It will also not harm the tire to run the max tire pressure at lower loads, though it will make the tires absorb less energy on rough roads and in some conditions alter the traction.. but it won't hurt the tire.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
The "recommended pressure" would be what is on the sticker on the door - that's gonna be the manufacturer's specified tire pressure, which will be for the best "blend" of longevity, ride quality, road noise and fuel economy.

That said, I run ours pretty high - 46.5 psi on the Fuel Maxes for spring/summer/fall. Close to max, but don't quite want to go that high.
That pressure is ALSO based on the tires that the car had from the factory.. change tires to something else and it may no longer be a proper pressure. The TPMS computer in the car can be set to a new pressure using the GM MDI tool.

There is no MPG benefit for any pressure less than the maximum tire rated pressure, the rolling resistance increases with lower pressure. The only reason to go less than the max tire pressure is ride quality to absorb more rough road surface energy, and in some places, like gravel or loose surfaces, improve traction, and you can only go less because the tires are rated for loads above the vehicle maximum loads and thus do not need the full pressure on the tire. The tire max load rating is at the tire max cold inflation pressure.

Also, note the section in the owners manual, I seem to recall it says to verify tire pressure is adequate when you full load the vehicle, I think even the recommended pressure might assume something less than full load capacity, then you have people going above rated load often.. it's not hard to do on a car like the Cruze.. Load up some heavy luggage, and 5 People and you can be well over the rated load for the vehicle.. do the math if you doubt me on that.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
On my original good years from 0-38k miles of aggressive driving with perfect tire rotation and door placket psi they wore almost evenly on shoulders and center. 15 Cruze diesel I had the steering replaced under B2b at 10k so alignment was done

·
Registered
517 Posts
Did an inspection on mine today and the driver front (one in picture I posted) has a pronounced knock when rocking the tire back and forth. The passenger front doesn't do it. I was under the car while someone rocked the tire and it sounds like it's coming from the steering rack so the inner tie rod end is probably going out. I'm just going to take it in and have it done, inners are too much work.

The tire was really bad though so I moved it to the back and hopefully I can still get another 10-20k out of it. At least I have some answers now.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts