Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a new poster here. I am very very interested in getting my first diesel car. I was looking at a pre-owned one for $18,000 with 11000 miles on it. It is located in Tampa, Florida. I have done so much research on the car over the past 3 months. So I moved from NJ to FL needing a fuel efficient car. Found this and did NADA and KBB values and it seems like it is in the 15100 range to 17,000. Went to dealer a few hours ago. Looked at the car and asked a lot of questions. A few large scratches on front passenger door. When I first looked at the car on December 15, 2015, the car fax stated the dealer got the car and listen it for sale. Well the sales rep I talked to said they had the car for 2 days and claimed it hasn't been on the lot. Lie 1. After a certain amount of days around 1-2 months, cars become ages inventory and it is costing the dealer more to keep the car than to sell it at a loss. Next, I asked if it needs diesel exhaust fluid to run, i already know the answer and he said no. Lie 2. Then I said oh whats this blue cap knowing what is is and about when to add...well there it was, i asked how much do i need to change it, "100,000 miles" absolutely not. Lie 3. Then I asked why the old owner sold it, and he said he wanted another car. But its only 11,000 so there could've been a major problem. Which makes me think thats why they had it listed, but claimed the car didn't get there a few days ago since it needed a major repair of some sort. I am 18 years old with a parent trying to buy a car. They thought I was not serious about this even thought I carefully inspected the car for 1 hour, test drove on highway and local roads for 20 minutes. I asked the lowest number they can give me. 17,600. "Best we can do" I said I have cash in hand, any discount there? "ok 17,000" Considering it is on it's third year and another Cruze diesel model came out with I believe a 1.6 engine, it is not worth almost a brand new honda civic. Budge was 15000 out the door not a cent more. Talked to the sales manager, he said what I am depreciating isn't what the "market is saying and the market agrees with my listing" He showed me his computer screen using dealertracker and it said their invoice price was 14400 and have an estimated profit # of $4500 and said I was already getting a deal...I don't think so. I would like all of your opinions of this because I need a good car for school and to drive back and forth from FL to NJ. I also don't want to get bent over, when a Jetta TDI is cheaper but I'd rather buy domestic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't post a link of the exact car I was going to get. But search up "Precision Mazda Tampa Chevy cruze diesel" it's red

Another was on my list. Search up "Chevy cruze diesel Kissimmee, Fl" and it's black

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Two items here - first, avoid that dealership. Second, you are aware that no VW dealer is allowed to sell any TDIs right now, new or used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two items here - first, avoid that dealership. Second, you are aware that no VW dealer is allowed to sell any TDIs right now, new or used.
In fact I did not know they are not allowed to sell them. I thought the recalls fixed most of them by now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Walk away....there are others.

Rob
In Florida right now there is another one with 65000 miles asking 13,500 good deal? I ask this because I know diesels are more to maintain and I am always on time for oil changes and other easy maintenance I can do. I just don't want major repairs down the road with that many miles.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
youre buying a used car, that helps domestic car factory workers how?

the car is assembled in usa, but hardly domestic.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
In fact I did not know they are not allowed to sell them. I thought the recalls fixed most of them by now.
As far as I know VW has yet to fix any of their TDIs that have been implicated in their emissions cheating.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I can never recommend a used car - unless it has some clasic or collector value.

In the case that you present you can still buy new CTDs from authorized dealers. If you want one - that's the way to do it.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I bought a 15 Cruze Diesel with 3706 miles. I am very happy with purchase. I am ok with preowned but my preference was one that hasn't been serviced yet. i saved a lot vs purchasing new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought a 15 Cruze Diesel with 3706 miles. I am very happy with purchase. I am ok with preowned but my preference was one that hasn't been serviced yet. i saved a lot vs purchasing new.
ANy problems with it? I am afraid of purchasing used cars that have low miles because I think most people trade it in because there is a problem. Idk something that is just engraved in my head

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
ANy problems with it? I am afraid of purchasing used cars that have low miles because I think most people trade it in because there is a problem. Idk something that is just engraved in my head
I am the first real owner, it was a dealer owned loaner car. It has a couple paint chips I will get fixed, only had one key fob, no owners manual, got the window sticker. I saved thousands, I am more than happy to spend a little to make it near perfect. I had a car fax ran. I do my due dilengence on every purchase. I would personally be more concerned buying a new one not driven for 18 months sitting on the lot. Just me. We all don't think exactly alike thank goodness.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Low mile cars aren't always because of problems, ask them if it's been a demo, the dealer network I work wth lets them drive to 10000km or roughly 6K miles before they're required to get a new demo.
Did not know this or even think of it. I will ask the next cruze diesel i find which will probably be tuesday. Will keep this in the back of my mind.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Low mile cars aren't always because of problems, ask them if it's been a demo, the dealer network I work wth lets them drive to 10000km or roughly 6K miles before they're required to get a new demo.
YoW! That's like buying a daily rental. Not my kind of risk management. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Skyeric875, Welcome to the forum! One thing you don't want to do is rush into this purchase if you can help it. I have 150K miles on my diesel Cruze and would recommend one to anybody. I would not go anywhere near the dealership you referenced in your first post. Sounds like they are very crooked. If you are able to pull it off, I would try to go for new if I were you. If you go used, make sure you get the history from a Chevy dealer. They can tell you if the car was in often for warranty issues. Don't be afraid to buy a new one from a distance either. I had to drive 2 hours to get mine when they first came out. Others on the forum have gone further than that.

I personally have owned over 80 cars in my life and it's not unusual for me to trade in a new car after a few weeks with low miles - and no problems. i am sure there are others out there who do the same. I get something, don't like it as much as I thought I would, then get rid of it. The diesel Cruze, on the other hand, I still love as much as the day I drove it off the lot.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. If your experience is anything like mine, you will love the car.

Reactions: Aussie and sparkman
1 - 20 of 63 Posts