Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was writing up a customer that just bought a 2016 2500hd with the duramax engine... that truck still has DEF and all the emmisions junk the cruze does. I remember we here at the dealer use mobile 1 delvak oil in 15-40. i confirmed with parts department that it is in FACT NOT dexos 2 approved but meets CJ-4 standards.

So why is it that the pickups don't have to use the Dexos 2 for warranty yet the cruze must? we both have the same emissions systems, both use ultra low sulfur highway diesel. This is odd that the big pickups dont have to use it and the Colorado and CTd have to. why not make all 3 oil burners use Dexos 2 or make it so non have to. either way it would make more oil get the dexos 2 stamp or if it is abolished or more oils meet the dexos 2 it would be favorable. or heck make it so any oil that's CJ-4 will allow easy of warranty so we can all get on with ownership with ease

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i doubt she would know. its just kinda funny seeing that Chevy makes a double standard for standard equipment

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Ask Isuzu.

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im no lawyer by any means but im curiouse if someone took GM to court about this mabe they could present this as evidance. why are the pickups not requred to run the Dexos 2 oil when all other emmisions systems are the same. they deny CTD warrenty for non dexos 2 but not for the same equipt duramax
?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
The Cruze and Colorado both use a VM Motori design diesel.

The full-size use an Isuzu design diesel.

Nothing to litigate. End of story.

However, when the new Duramax appears expect it to require dexos2.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well if a CTd owner was to use a cj-4 oil because dexos 2 was not available and warranty got voided... maybe in front of a jury the person could ask why does one truck with same emissions get away with no warranty void with cj4 but not the cruze? almost like a double standard, this may convince the jury. just pondering late night thoughts lol. but im glad to hear the new hd will have to run dexos 2, this should push most oil manufacturers to reconsider getting the dexos badge.. i really want to run rottella t6 in the cruze since the whole home fleet runs it

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
According to the owner's manual Dexos2 is not required for the Cruze but ACEA C3 is.

"Use of Substitute Engine Oils if dexos2 is unavailable: In the event that dexos2-approved engine oil is not available at an oil change or for maintaining proper oil level, you may use substitute engine oil that meets ACEA C3 of the appropriate viscosity grade."

Source: Chevrolet Cruze Owner Manual (GMNA-Localizing-U.S./Canada-6007168) - Black plate (14,1) 2014 - 2nd Edition - 7/15/13 10-14 Vehicle Care

Also, Here's an interesting discussion on the topic with some good information:

VW507.00 versus CJ-4 | European and Import Motor Oils | Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its funny how it clearly states we may use a alternative but as we have seen many dealers are quick to deny warranty coverage.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm sticking with a Dexos 2 oil, it really isn't that difficult. Whats much more important is regularly changing your oil. As for the full size Duramax motors, its a different motor with a different design, with a different emissions systems. No real comparison there. The Colorado "mini" Duramax will require Dexos 2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Under federal law, a car manufacture cannot force you to use a certain oil to maintain your warranty. Although it does have to me the specifications. Dexos 2 is not a specification.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Dexos 2 is not a specification.
Then what is it? And what is the specification?

Edit: The 2015 manual says "Ask for and use engine oils thatmeet the dexos2™ specification" Note, it doesn't say it has to have the dexos2 logo - it just has to meet the specification. And some oils do that by saying things "for use" without using the logo itself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The oil must meet ACEA C3. And I was wrong. Dexos 2 is considered a specification to GM. But as long as the oil you are using meets ACEA C3, that can't void your warranty because you aren't using Dexos 2 approved oil. Dexos 2 is a license as well so if a manufacture oil meets ACEA C3 and also wants the Dexos 2 approval, they have to pay GM a fee.

·
Registered
133 Posts
could we substitute dexos 1 for the diesel cruze
Absolutely NO.I've seen what happens when you use gas rated oil in a diesel.A friend of mine used Castrol synthetic in his Passat diesel,I guess he didn't read the fine print regarding diesel Castrol spec.I watched him change his oil and filter,didn't see the oil drain into the pan but the filter housing looked like it was filled with black jelly.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Reactions: BDCCruze and Taxman

·
Registered
431 Posts
its funny how it clearly states we may use a alternative but as we have seen many dealers are quick to deny warranty coverage.
Just get your oil changed at Victory Lane Chevrolet and move on. They only use Dexos 2 or so I was told.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts