Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...fear not! Warmer weather is on it's way! Winter is half over and so are your dismal cold fuel sucking drives.

I've been fighting to keep my Eco's mileage in the 40's on my DIC with all the cold weather we've been having. Lo and behold, this morning it was only a few degrees below freezing and my DIC was sitting at a nice 48.1 MPG when I shut her off in the parking garage, and that was driving into a breeze blowing out of the West. My tank average so far is only ~43 MPG on the DIC, but this was nice to see anyway.

Mileage is directly related to temperature. One "warm" day and a coresponding spike in mileage.

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
I have accepted my MPG is not like some of the other Ecos on this forum. Mine besides the crappy winter gas is bc of my typical driving is 99% city not highway. should have bought a 2LT but my Eco does fine by me when I go on a nice highway trip which happens to be also when the weather is warmer anyway and using good gas.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out my mileage graph to witness the BEATING it has taken with this unusually cold winter we've had:

Green Text Line Font Plot

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Speaking of, does any know or have a map of when we'll start to see summer blend gas? I'm guessing late April or early May.
My understanding is that it varies from refinery to refinery. We have a BP and a SUNOCO refineries in town and they switch over at different times. Then it also depends on where the stations get their gas. I have asked station attendants when the switch over happens and, of course, they are clueless. I see it when the MPG starts going up and it takes a couple of tankfuls to purge the old gas since SWMBO can't stand to have the gauge go below 1/2 anyway. That's not a bad thing to do in the winter anyway.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Summer blend gasolines start showing up in late March/early April. The blend switch moves north over about a month long switchover.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Between the crappy gas, cold, snow, heavier traffic, 16" snow tires and using the defrost mode almost constantly, I have lost just about 80 miles per tank of gas. That's quite a hit when I drive 370 miles per week.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I'm running about 40 MPG right now - 20% hit from August/September. My car can't wait for warmer weather to return.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
I've been running E15 fuel in my car during this cold, mostly because I'm constantly using remote start and idling my car & can bring down my cost that way. Because of the ethanol fuel I fill my tank every time it gets down to 3/4 full, to avoid condensation and possible phase seperation.

4 day period this week I went to top off and managed 19MPG. My average speed was only 17mph, so its easy to see most of the fuel burned was using remote start.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4 day period this week I went to top off and managed 19MPG. My average speed was only 17mph, so its easy to see most of the fuel burned was using remote start.
On a really cold day with a cold start, short trips in town have returned similar mileage for me... a run to the store that I could get 40-50 MPG in the hot summer months now gets me in the low 20's. Cold really sucks the life out of a car.

Once the car is warmed up the reduction isn't nearly as much, somewhere between 10-20% depending on the type of driving involved. It's while the car is warming up that affects it the worst.

My heated indoor parking costs me an extra $20/month over parking outside. In the winter months I'm probably getting half of that back just in fuel savings, starting the car from ~60F instead of 0F for my drive home. Unfortunately I'm stuck parking outside at home, so my drive in only benefits from the tiny 200W oil pan heater.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Between the crappy gas, cold, snow, heavier traffic, 16" snow tires and using the defrost mode almost constantly, I have lost just about 80 miles per tank of gas. That's quite a hit when I drive 370 miles per week.
About the same here, except I average over 750 miles per week. Still can't complain too much though, at least I'm not driving as much as CruzeEcoBlueTopaz!

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I'm right at 40.1 on this tank (filled up yesterday) after idling for 20 minutes this morning while I shovled 6 inches of snow of my driveway and sidewalk. I then drove my normal 60 mile round trip. The inside of my car was toasty warm after the idling as well.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Living in Sydney's Western Suburbs the coldest I have ever seen is -6C. Usually 0C is about as cold as it gets, would summer diesel give any problems at these temperatures? Everything seemed OK last year but we had a really mild winter and 6C was as low as I saw.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am averaging 39-40 mpg this winter with 90% highway driving around 75mph. Looking forward to the better fuel and warmer spring temps- hoping to crack 50mpg...

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
My Tuesday morning 62 mile ave. to work was 34.. nasty cold with a strong wind from the west.. Warmed up a little through the day and the tailwind home got 51 mpg on the way home.. My average for the winter months so far hasn't been as bad as I was expecting.. Mid 40's according to my fuelly log.. I'm thinking the motor is just breaking in nicely ( 20,000 miles ) and hope to see the warmer weather and summer fuel really show me some great numbers.. Not that I'm not happy with my mileage.. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man I can't wait for summer blend. Now that my tires are up filled to 40psi and plugs gapped to .035 my winter mileage has gone from 26 to 30mpg so I'm hoping for mid 30's come summer with my 2LT auto.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Man I can't wait for summer blend. Now that my tires are up filled to 40psi and plugs gapped to .035 my winter mileage has gone from 26 to 30mpg so I'm hoping for mid 30's come summer with my 2LT auto.
100% (ethanol-free) gasoline will be your best choice. A decade of accurate records shows my 3 cars gain 8% to 5% better mpg using 100% gasoline, the fuel your car was designed & built to use. Get the ethanol out of your car. Utah has very few stations dispensing 100% gasoline, but you do have two that you may use if your travels take you in those directions. Go to pure-gas.org for stations, details, & a great zoomable map to 100% gasoline sources.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And to anyone complaining about how cold it's been (myself included!), it can ALWAYS get colder! It was on this day back in 1947 when the coldest day on Canadian records was set in Snag, Yukon, at -63C (-81F)!?!?! Google Canada's doodle for today was in memory of the event:

Google Doodle celebrates Canada’s coldest day, -63 C

Snag is a little farther North than Anchorage, Alaska, which is the farthest North I have been on this great continent. The farthest North I've been in Canada was the Southern edge of the Yukon, part of the same Alaskan cruise trip. We took an excursion by bus from Skagway, Alaska, up the Klondike Hwy. into the South of the Yukon. Our tour guide informed us that the pristine waterways in that area are known as some of the finest fishing areas available anywhere.

That was a very cool trip, and I can't imagine what it's like to live through a winter up there!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts